Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front Axle Assembly

They look great, the only suggestion I have is.......

Paint will NOT stay on sharp edges, the more you can round them the better.

All of the front end parts will be chrome. I have completed both sets of the 4-bar axle brackets and will move on to the shackle hangers and the 4-bar arms for both sides. I have on the way a chrome spring, chrome shackles, and chrome spindles, along with a complete disc brake kit.

On the shackle hanger, that is two pieces that I have to still weld together. Everything came from a piece of 1 inch bar stock. It took me about six hours of machine time to get to where the shackle hangers were completed.

Looks great. Its nice to be able to make some of your own parts. I spend way to much time making some parts on my lathe and mill, that I could buy lots less expensive then what it takes me to build them.

The main reason I spend so much time making my own parts is that way I can get exactly what I want. The brackets for the front end will all be polished so the chrome work will turn out good. To me that is important because everything up front is stuff that everyone sees and I like to pay attention to detail.

Just a hint here. When I bought mine from Total I got the ones with 6 degree angle to better fit my front set-up.

I think the 6 degree is the angle the radius rods take to taper to the frame. In your case like mine I will make the brackets 90degrees to the axle and angle the rods to get to the frame.

What I am going to do for the four links up front is come off of them with the bars at 5 degrees and cut them long at 40 inches. I will then match the parts to the frame and cut and tap the ends for that end. I am trying to be as exacting to the parts I make so I dont have to pound things together with a BFH. I truly appreciate the comments to my posts. I have found I have a whole group of friends I didnt know I had.

The 6 degree ones are to compensate for the 6 degrees that the radius rods angle to the frame. Now the front spring is 90 degrees with no bind.

Keep in mind, the king pins should be somewhere in the 7 degree range for caster. Others may have other preferences, but that works for me.

Keep in mind, the king pins should be somewhere in the 7 degree range for caster. Others may have other preferences, but that works for me.

I'm planning on building in a 7° caster also. That is the number I've seen most often, and I don't want to try to get close to that number via heim adjustment.

I'm starting to piece the front end pieces together, and here are a few pictures of how things are starting look. I value all opinions.
IMG_6364.JPG IMG_6365.JPG IMG_6360.JPG

Are the long parts of the radius rods on the bottom? I don't see welds yet.
The end of the radius rod that is attached to the axle batwing has a bushing welded to it at 5 degrees, and on the other end of each rod is an adjustable end at 5 degrees. There are four radius rods, and I plan to have everything chromed. I have put up a picture of the adjustable end and a better picture of the welded up shackle hanger. The chrome adjustable ends I bought from Pete & Jakes in Missouri. They are good people there and I have never had any problem with buying things from them. The batwings are not welded to the axle yet. The prep work for the chrome process comes first, then the welding of things together.

Attachments

• IMG_6367.JPG
    IMG_6367.JPG
    993.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6368.JPG
    IMG_6368.JPG
    897.3 KB · Views: 31
All I was saying is most of the time the long end is up to get the center of radius rods closer to the center of the load I think

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back