Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front axle question

Wanna-T

Hi all! First off I want to say I've lurked for awhile learning and listening. I've been collecting parts and idea's for a future T Bucket project but before I start special ordering parts I want to run a couple things over the Pro's.

I really like the look of a straight no-drop front axle. While a raised spring hanger looks to be the popular way to do it, as Jerry Koenigsmark did in 1972.

http://www.tbucketeers.com/forum/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=1265&d=1249602238

I was wondering about using modified axle brackets, keeping everything is proven location and geometry, other than the axle being higher?

http://www.tbucketeers.com/forum/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=1266&d=1249602740

and/or assembling the spring backwards.

http://www.tbucketeers.com/forum/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=1267&d=1249602991

I'm looking forward to your viewpoints.
Thanks Guys, John

Welcome John . I bet youngster ,Ted, Floyd will comment and answer all your questions.

Hi John, and welcome to the forum.

This seems to be a new (old) way of doing it. We have built several axles and 4-6" drop perches for guys doing exactly what you are describing.

I don't know that reversing the leaves in that spring is a good idea. We have just been making big drops in the front perch.

Wow! I haven't seen that nickname in a long time.

John, some folks around here might start calling you Frank. So if it happens, you've been warned.

Thank you for the warm welcome :razz:

What I was most interested in was the dropped axle bracket idea.
It should allow the hairpens, spring and spring hanger to be mounted in the normal location. Does anyone see a problem with mounting an axle in this fashion? There's got to be a reason axles are always mounted inbetween the hairpens that I'm not seeing? I've never owned a Hot Rod, much less built one before so if I sound like I fell out of a tree don't be afraid to tell me.
Thanks Guys, John
vbpgimage.php

In my opinion(which isn't worth much here)Your radius rod ends should be on top and below the center line of your axel to stop axel roll.Your front axel wants to do some srtange stuff so if you can control the twisting of the axel your getting closer to a good ride.This applies to a four bar also.Ted will chime in and tell you the tech stuff hes the expert not me but i think i'm sound in my statement.

Visualise the loads on the drawn bracket.Static load, the welds to the axle are in tension, that will always be there.

Biggest load will be with the brakes on hard, the load on the welds will range from tension through shear to compression, as well as the static load.(assume you intend to brake the front end)

Depending on how much load the perches take (safe assume none), brakes on, the top radius rod will be in compression, the bottom rod in tension about 40% of the compressive load on the top rod, looking at the lever arm. Ditto will apply to the mounts for the radius rods, of course. IMHO there is where to be careful because only one radius rod is in compression with this setup, instead of them both sharing it.

Gasser style straight front axles look cool, just remember most Gassers didn't have front brakes.

Your dropped bracket is fine, no different than if you used a 6 inch dropped axle..and the leverage is applied that way... There is not enough weight to worry about anyway... I would leave room in the middle of that bracket for the spring to fit through there so it can be mounted wider than the radius rods, better ride and safer as well mounted to run between the radius rods, can't fall to the ground if a broken main leaf ever happens...Dream wild and ride safe :)

Wanna-T said:
Thank you for the warm welcome :razz:

What I was most interested in was the dropped axle bracket idea.
It should allow the hairpens, spring and spring hanger to be mounted in the normal location. Does anyone see a problem with mounting an axle in this fashion? There's got to be a reason axles are always mounted inbetween the hairpens that I'm not seeing? I've never owned a Hot Rod, much less built one before so if I sound like I fell out of a tree don't be afraid to tell me.
Thanks Guys, John
vbpgimage.php

After studying this for awhile I see one big problem with this bracket, and a maybe problem.

It is too long it will be 7.5 inches from the center of the axle. This will put the bottom of that bracket at or below the bottom of the wheel. If you had a flat tire then the bracket will drag the road.

Next possible problem is the spring will put a lot of side load on the bracket being so long, 5" from center. It might cause that bracket to bend, and I say might because I don't know.

Just some random thoughts here. Running a straight axle was to lift the front of the chassis for weight transfer on a gasser or altered. Building a car with the current low frame theme with a straight axle is going to be very problematic. The more complicated the car is you want to build the longer it's going to take to get it on the street.

Why not build an altered for the street?

Ron

As far as the bracket being too long or low, you are right on the line, because a rim is always at least5/8 to 3/4 inch larger tthan the 15 in mounting point, but like RPM, I almost forgot that... and the spring mount, if you leave it there, you can always add a small gussett if the bracket does not go around the axle more than half way... My old CCR brackets mount the spring about 4 to 6 inches behind the axle, and I have heard of no problems with that setup, if welded correctly... :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back