Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front axle questions

"Too nit-picky"? Not at all. The devil is in the details.

Ron

Problem du jour. I reinstalled the front springs and axle yesterday and the radius rods are 1/2-3/4" too short at the top and 1" -1-1/2" too short at the bottom...I'm stumped, thought they would bolt right back up. I know they can be adjusted but I prefer to stay with the original setting since it seemed okay. Is there a front and back to the tube axles? I lost track of which way it was mounted before but it looks symmetrical to me.

Bruce

Update: We were able to muscle the tie-rods into place, hadn't changed any adjustments so figured they should fit again. I loosened the nuts on the shackles and that gave enough slack to pull the tie-rods into place and allow us to bolt them to the batwings. The road test in a couple of days will tell me if everything is back in order.

Keeper,
Yeah every time you think something is going to be easy...it's not.
BTW, I meant radius rods, not tie-rods.
Bruce

When I reassemble a chassis after paint, I don't tighten anything 'till it's all assembled. After I tighten everything I have a friend do a "Nut & Bolt Check". He starts at the front and checks everything. :sneaky: I usually leave a couple loose to see if he can find them.

Ron

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

Next up is an issue I've always had with the right front wheel assembly. When I have the T up on jack stands the right wheel turns easily for about 1/3-1/2 of the rotation but it gets really hard to turn the rest of the rotation as if something is dragging. I've tried swapping the drums side-to-side but it acts the same. Neither drum drags when mounted on the left side. I don't think it's the brake shoes because I put blue tape on them and they didn't appear to be affected. I also don't hear any metal-to-metal contact. I believe the drums are '37 to '41 Ford - a good photo is posted earlier in this thread.
I've been dealing with this problem long before the axle tear down and am concerned about driving it that way.

At the base of your spindle snout there is a piece that serves as a grease seal. It's mearly a large washer with about a 1/4" standing edge. Check to see if it's been damaged. replace it if it's out of round. Replacements are available from any old Ford parts suppliers.

Ron

Youngster,
I'm not sure what you are referring to. The spindle doesn't have anything on it when I slide the hub onto the spindle - should it?. When you say "spindle snout", are you referring to the hub or the spindle? The bearings and what I believe is a grease seal is on the inside of the hub. Keep in mind, both hubs do the same thing on the right side but not on the left - unless both seals are out of round. I previously replaced both of them.

bpickett,
There does not appear to be any metal-to-metal contact so I don't think it's a bent backing plate.

Bruce

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back