Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front Axle

Francis Blake said:
Satori speedway carries a caster adjustment guage online called the economy model for 31.99 their delux is 119.99. I cant find it in thier catalog but it is online. Francis

Thanks, I went over to Home Depot and got a magnetic angle finder.

Well guys, the only way you can set the caster correctly is on a totally finished car, wheels on the ground, weight in car ready to rock and roll, now set the caster with the adjustment on your radius rods. 1/8th toe-in is too much... that will cause wobble. Also another note that I always forget to mention, You do what you want, I use (when I used shackles) shackles 1/4" wider than the spring, as this lets the axle move up and down and does not tweak the main leaf of the spring as it moves back and forth, as it goes up and down... If you bought the axle all welded up with the RR and spring mounts, it SHOULD have so much caster built in, close to start... Good luck.. :D

Youngster said:
Craig, lay your axle on a flat surface with the king pin boss level and put bolts into the holes in the bat wings. You should find they have been welded on the axle with the degrees already dialed in.

Ron

Ran my batwing mount holes perpendicular to the ground, and yes the caster was dialed in. Thanks, I can carry on again.

Craig

On my second T bucket I used a straight Tube axle and Olds spindles, brakes' and olds 4.56 rear to try to balance brakes and wheel pattern. King pin angles were a few degrees different for the olds than the 39 ford on the first bucket. .. Usually less king pin angle will require more castor to feel the same. bend up a coat hanger or piece of welding rod to simulate the angles and see what happens when you turn the "wheels"... when you turn left with normal setup it will raise the left side of the car and let the right side drop, and visa versa. depending on the angles involved you can reach a point on castor where more will not make it go straighter. A friend's old dragsters had about 15 degrees of king pin angle custom suspension and he kept it straight.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back