Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

front frame perch plate?

iajjpop

A few years ago we were at Mountain Home, Ark.We were looking at buckets setting around , I seen one that had a flat plate bolted on top of front perch with 4 bolts, extended out to the front, over the top of the axle [ maybe 3''' or 4''] .The guy said it was there in case the front spring broke . The plate was like 1/2 ''+- . never seen another one , does somebody make these ? And do they work?

I think what the op is talking about is an extended plate that would "catch" the axle if the spring broke...something similar to a CCR plate w/ the extended licence plate mount...
dave

Reactions: RPM
Yes, the one I saw had a licence plate mount on it. Do they work to ''catch the axle if the spring breaks ??

Sounds like an answer for a problem that doesn't really exist. Have you ever heard of a spring breaking? There are more serious engineering things to be concerned about, I reckon.

Theoretically I suppose they "might" catch the axle , however , I've never heard of a spring breaking, that being said I have broken 2 spring pivots , in either case that mount would not have helped as the chassis doesn't "fall" very far , what does happen is the chassis abruptly shifts to the unbroken side which alters the direction just like turning the steering wheel [scarey] thankfully , both times we've been under 20 MPH so I was able to stay on the pavement , I shudder to think what would happen at highway speed !!!
dave

This is the perch we make that holds a license plate and also doubles as a catch in case a spring fails, leaf springs do break on a rare occasion but to have all of them break would be unusual. Also, the shocks would act as a back up also, so nowadays they are pretty much a license plate mount. These only fit our bolt pattern.

Display Chassis 02 szd.jpg

Hence the name suicide axle. With a axle like on the 32 up under the frame if something breaks in theory the frame would catch the axle and keep the frame off the pavement. If something on a suicide axle breaks the frame in theory will hit the pavement and that probably would not be a problem unless the frame caught a pot hole, man hole cover, or such. Then it could be quiet nasty.

All of Henry's transverse spring straightaxles mounted under the chassis , suicide , spring behind , in front of chassis is a hot rod thing ...
dave

My spring goes under the perch also , but if the spring would break out towards the end, the frame on that end would drop on the pavement and lose control....

IF you are running hairpin style radius rods , the spring/frt.end won't fall to the pavement , it will drop some , but beause your rearend is a BIG swaybar & because 1 side of the spring is still attached , the frame /axle will shift sideways... the last time [about 2 mo. ago] I broke aa spring perch bolt , we drove the car nearly 4 miles w/only 1 side of the spring still attached , dog-tracked bad , but we made it to a repair shop....it's not the dropping that's the problem , it's when the immediate direction change occurs , thankfully we were only doing about 20 mph when it broke..dave

I keep hearing the frame dropping to the point of pavement plowing, since I'm going to be using a mono-leaf. I'm tempted to find a set of old steel industrial casters, and mount them under the front of the frame <shrug>

I apologize , I just re-read what I posted , I SHOULD have said spring pivot bolt instead of perch bolt , sorry , this old mind isn't what it used to be !!
dave

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back