Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Front panhard bar

der Spieler

I was looking at the photos of front suspensions in the 2008 Speedway catalog the other day and I notice that the photo of the four-bar spring behind front suspension showed a panhard bar but the photo of the front suspension with radius rods didn't have one. Is this a mistake on Speedways part or is a panhard bar with the radius rods not necessary?

der Spieler said:
I was looking at the photos of front suspensions in the 2008 Speedway catalog the other day and I notice that the photo of the four-bar spring behind front suspension showed a panhard bar but the photo of the front suspension with radius rods didn't have one. Is this a mistake on Speedways part or is a panhard bar with the radius rods not necessary?
I was looking at that this morning go figure but i think in a way the spring keeps the front end from dancing around.I THINK.:welxome:

Yes the spring and shackles are what keep the front end from moving side to side, and the shackles should not hang any lower than at a 45 degree angle, just enough for the spring to work without getting in a bind, so to speak, now maybe they were using cross steering in one of those pics? That is when they tend to use a Panhard bar... Just me here, not telling you what to do, just what I do...:welxome:

So I guess what you are saying is that if you use cross steering you need a panhard bar.

der Spieler said:
So I guess what you are saying is that if you use cross steering you need a panhard bar.
NEED?? Now that is the word of the day, NEED. I would say by the looks of how different people build things here on these type of cars, everybody does a different thing.. The factory did use a panhard bar with cross steering, if you have your setup real tight as far as how much side movement is allowed, that will tell you if you NEED one or not, I would have to at least see pics of all the angles to give you a real good MY opinion, that is.. hehe :welxome: PS, and it is very important to see the pics of a totally finished car, weight wise, to be able to tell how things are really mounted and the proper spring and shock stretch. JMHOpinion :rofl:

My first T was a Speedway with four link front suspension, cross steering and a panhard bar. All was fine. My next T will have radius rods and cross steering. Hence my question.

der Spieler said:
My first T was a Speedway with four link front suspension, cross steering and a panhard bar. All was fine. My next T will have radius rods and cross steering. Hence my question.
Steve, Why the cross steering? especially in/on a T Bucket? a bit late model looking, don't you think? and all the U joints that may be needed... why??? Just me again... :welxome:

Hey Steve, how come you're moving from four-link to radius rods? I'm thinking of doing just the opposite. GAB has me convinced four-link is the best solution when using a tubular front axle. Are you going with an I-beam?

der Spieler;I was looking at the photos of front suspensions in the 2008 Speedway catalog the other day and I notice that the photo of the four-bar spring behind front suspension showed a panhard bar but the photo of the front suspension with radius rods didn't have one. Is this a mistake on Speedways part or is a panhard bar with the radius rods not necessary.

These too are just my opinions so take them as they are. If you use a conventional style cross spring (leaf) and radius rods then the spring and shackles should self center the frontend assembly. It almost reminds me of the sprint car rear "W" style watts linkage. I don't think you need a panhard bar with this system.

Now a 4 bar is a different animal. This applies to 4 bars and coil over shock systems. If you run rubber bushed ends or spherical rod ends there is side movement seen through the links and I do believe you have to triangulate the front axle in relationship to the frame. Remember, you have a total of 8 bushed or bearing ends and it all adds up in side movement. There are several ways to do it but the easiest and best in my opinion is a simple panhard bar. In this application I do like at least on end of the panhard bar to be a sperical bearing. Hope this gives you some thought as to your question.

George

Lee_in_KC said:
Hey Steve, how come you're moving from four-link to radius rods? I'm thinking of doing just the opposite. GAB has me convinced four-link is the best solution when using a tubular front axle. Are you going with an I-beam?
Yes in all reality, when using a none twisting tube axle, a 4 bar is the easiest on things,but I just use the BIG rubber bushings to allow for that, and use what I think is the best looking setup, as that is what T Buckets are all about, YES??? just me... :welxome::eek:

Ted Brown said:
Steve, Why the cross steering? especially in/on a T Bucket? a bit late model looking, don't you think? and all the U joints that may be needed... why??? Just me again... :welxome:

Because I had cross steering on my last T and I liked it.

Lee_in_KC said:

When I built my T I was using the Budget Bucket article from the Sept 96 issue of Streetrodder (that I have in .PDF format if anyone is interested) as a guide. In the article the kit they got from Speedway came with radius rods. I ordered my T kit from Speedway it came with the four-link. I didn't figure this was going to be a problem but I had some issues with the tie rods interfering with the links. (In the article and in my build the front cross member was changed and the spring perch was raised.) The front end in my next build is going to be built the same way with the higher spring perch and cross steering hopefully using rack and pinion steering rather than the Vega box. I don't want the same clearance issues. I just looked at the article again and it appears they didn't have a panhard bar.

I had cross-steering (vega) on my '32 with no panhard bar. I never noticed bumpsteer. My wishbones went under the car and were about 15" apart, that may have made a difference.

Ted Brown said:
Steve, Why the cross steering? especially in/on a T Bucket? a bit late model looking, don't you think? and all the U joints that may be needed... why??? Just me again... :)

Didn't Ford have cross steering in 1937? That is why there are 2 tie rod mounts on that spindle, right? The only part of it that might look late model is the unisteer rack.

I was just thinking T Bucket late model.. hehe I know we all use later parts to build most any T there is, and many people come up with some great lookin T Buckets.. It is so much fun to see what all people will do when left to their own devices.. I think that is how many new things get invented... When I talk here, I only think T Buckets, and probably OLD STYLE T Buckets, I am old and probably Grouchy, and need to learn that different is not wrong, only different, and everyone has their own style, as I do also, and I am not always right, I just happen to Love my own ride, as She has been a faithful love and one heck of a driver.. So, Guys, Sorry if I have gotten out of line with "telling" MY views, Please remember they are only that, my views, and your views count as much as mine... Hope you understand my point here. Thanks, Ted

actually the last side steer was in '34. '35 and up used a cross steer. i have seen '39 fords with a factory sway bar (panhard). i don't recall them on the '35 to '38's. that's not to say they weren't available.

when we move the frame mount for the wish bone to the frame rails we introduce huge stress issues into both the front and rear suspensions. on a T it is nearly impossible the have a common mount on the center line for a wishbone. the closer you can get the ends, the less stress and bump steer you will have to deal with.

the pan hard bar on a cross steer will prevent the spring from moving to the opposite side of the way the drag link is trying to push the frame. on a side steer, that is not the problem.

Ron

Ted Brown said:
I was just thinking T Bucket late model.. hehe I know we all use later parts to build most any T there is, and many people come up with some great lookin T Buckets.. It is so much fun to see what all people will do when left to their own devices.. I think that is how many new things get invented... When I talk here, I only think T Buckets, and probably OLD STYLE T Buckets, I am old and probably Grouchy, and need to learn that different is not wrong, only different, and everyone has their own style, as I do also, and I am not always right, I just happen to Love my own ride, as She has been a faithful love and one heck of a driver.. So, Guys, Sorry if I have gotten out of line with "telling" MY views, Please remember they are only that, my views, and your views count as much as mine... Hope you understand my point here. Thanks, Ted

Hey thanks Ted. I think this kinda funny that this front panard bar came up. I was looking at my set up with the front shocks facing straight on from the axle and thought that maybe I need a panard bar to keep the front from moving side to side. I do have the front spring and shackles with standard steering. I thought that the axle would move from side to side but maybe I'm wrong. If anyone needs to see the shock mount I used I can try and post it. Just wondering......:confused:

der Spieler said:
....it appears they didn't have a panhard bar.

Steve

The car in the buildup did have a panhard bar on the front. I remember a reference to modifying the bar mount when the new crossmember was installed.

I just checked the Speedway website and it appears that the Nostalgia frame kit does not have a panhard bar, but the Classic Hairpin frame kit does. It's not listed in the main description, but it is listed in the chrome upgrade. I pretty sure the Classic Hairpin frame is the one in the buildup.

Mike

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back