Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

front spring question

jmr122848

I am starting to get serious on my build. The front axel came from a 47 ford and had 6" shackles (not stock) I had planed to use the hangers off the wishbone reversed as per Ivo & Gabroski but the spring looks wrong. any Idias?[/ATTACH]hotrod1-12-2011.JPGhotrod2-12-2011.JPG

I shortened the shackles, and used 2 leaves for set up but it shure looks tall.

That dose look odd Mike. Do you have the ends of the wishbone on the right side? On a set up like this most often the ends where at a 90 degree angle to the axle. Most would also run a weld on the bottom of the ends and axle to keep them from moving. The spring perch was heat and spread to the original width. Sorry I don't have that distance for you.

The spring on a '47 did have longer shackles but not 6" unless they where doing that to lower the car. they where possibly 2 3/4 or 3 inches center to center The shackles also where slightly angled outward at the bottoms

Ivo's car and the Dodge in the "Lively Set" used 4 tie rods for a 4 bar set up. You could use hairpin too just make them as long as you can.

My hat's off to you for your mock up. Doing it this way WILL save you time and $$$. I hope the first time builders here take note.

Keep this thread going so we can see your progress. Hope I was able to help.

Ron

what year is the coupe?

Ron

That spring doesn't seem to be for a front axle. Front springs are cheap. Just measure between shackles (horizontal) and get that length.

what year is the coupe?

Ron
That is a 31 ford coupe for someday. I think the shackels where aftermarket to lower the thing. I drilled new holes at 1.5" centers. do you think more leaves might flaten it some? I'm going to swap the mounts side for side to get a better angle, and if this works will tack them to the axel. Thanks for the info.

I measured a '41 axle today. The perches where 42" center to center. Makes me wonder if some one didn't substitute a rear spring for the front.

Ron

I measured a '41 axle today. The perches where 42" center to center. Makes me wonder if some one didn't substitute a rear spring for the front.

Ron
I am by far no expert but I think Ron is right. Here is a picture from Speedway of a 41
spring....ruggs
5802040_L.jpg

When it comes to early Ford parts, my bet is with Ron. He has a vast knowledge on the subject.

Jim

If you are going to mount the spring hangers to the wishbones, I would get them in place, square with each other, and install the shackles in a flat position and measure that length and have a main leaf made to fit that measurement... That leaf you have there is later than 41 and much too long in any case...

The spring length from "41 to '48 is the same. If the ends are in the same position in relation to the axle as before they where cut, a stock front spring should work just fine. Actually you should have a nice riding front end because of the longer spring with thinning leaves. If you want a shorter spring, you could try a '35-6 spring. I believe they are 2 1/2" shorter.

I did some measureing and looking, the spring is about 9" high and 39' center eye to eye. when I got it it had 10 leaves.front-befor1.JPGfront-befor2.JPGhere are some pictures that show the current alinementdrivers_spindle1.JPGpass_spindle1.JPG
I will try redrilling the shackles at 3" and see if that puts them out at the bottom.
Thanks for the help all.

Ron nailed it! using the other end of the shakles (3.5" cl)and switching the hanger sides made all the difference. now the spring eye is outside the hanger and the spring will push down nicely. This may work out yet!

I am doing the same as the ivo and kookie car with the reversed shackle... how ever like you I'm using the I beam front axle. On mine I have heated and straightened the hangers. Mine measures 31" eye to eye, on a 46" axle. Remember you want to use the proper spring for a "T" not an "A". I'm also using the hairpin style radius rods attaching to the axle. One thing I wanted to point out that you need to find away to maksure the shacles don't move on the axle... by either broching or making some type of spacer betweeen the shackle & front of axle. I'm not sure I would have redrilled the shackles but whatever works for you. Also I noticed you are not useing a reversed eye spring you might wanna try that as well. Hope this was helpful..

Rogers approach is another way to set this up, however I would suggest using an A spring instead of a T spring. the '47 spring is 2" wide, the A is 1 3/4" and the T is1 1/2". If you're using the T or A spring you will need to cut the axle shackle mount down to the width of the spring. To keep the stubs straight on the axle, simply weld them in the desired position. Just be sure to do the prep work for paint before you weld. On the shackle issue, a new par of shackles from Speedway will solve that question.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back