Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Fuel Tank Vent

Gary49

What is the preferred method for routing the tubing for the fuel tank vent? I don't know if I should run it down through the floor or what.
Thanks,
Gary

Gary,

I vented my tank simply by connecting 1/2 aluminum tubing and a filter. To keep the
fuel from sloshing up thru the filter I used 2-3 brushes like shown in the photo. You
probably have a pickup bed, so you may not have the room above the tank.

FP01_VentBaffle5621.jpg

FP01_VentBaffle5622.jpg
FP01_VentBaffle5624.jpg

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-2166
Filter_VPE-2166.jpg

Gary,

I vented my tank simply by connecting 1/2 aluminum tubing and a filter. To keep the
fuel from sloshing up thru the filter I used 2-3 brushes like shown in the photo. You
probably have a pickup bed, so you may not have the room above the tank.

View attachment 14621

View attachment 14622
View attachment 14623

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-2166
View attachment 14620
I have the CCR Sport Deck. It's more like a trunk and it's closed in. That's why I want to vent it to the outside. I could still run the tube out and then do what you did. It has the roll over check in the vent also

I would run a line to the engine and put a connection to a vacuum source. You will open a real can of worms if you have an open system and ethanol in the gas can bring.

It has the roll over check in the vent also
I guess that's a question..... no, I don't have a check valve in the vent. I know some will consider that risky.

I just have a vented cap.

I would run a line to the engine and put a connection to a vacuum source. You will open a real can of worms if you have an open system and ethanol in the gas can bring.
I'm having a hard time understanding, I thought it was suppose to be a vent, not vacuum??? I use 100% gas
only, except on long trips, then on the highway I use what's easily available.

20180402_161042_re.jpg

Here is a picture of the tank and vent in my SportDeck. The battery is out so don't let that fool you. I think the hose is hooked to a roll-over valve, can't remember for sure, but that really isn't necessary. The little hump in the hose keeps any sloshing gas from escaping. The tube runs down the front side of the tank, through a hole in the trunk's floor and simply hangs down 6" or so pointing toward the ground. That is the stock CCR tank but I moved the vent hole from the front to the back. When it was at the front gas would sometimes run out if the tank was completely full. With the vent at the back this does not happen.

View attachment 14624

Here is a picture of the tank and vent in my SportDeck. The battery is out so don't let that fool you. I think the hose is hooked to a roll-over valve, can't remember for sure, but that really isn't necessary. The little hump in the hose keeps any sloshing gas from escaping. The tube runs down the front side of the tank, through a hole in the trunk's floor and simply hangs down 6" or so pointing toward the ground. That is the stock CCR tank but I moved the vent hole from the front to the back. When it was at the front gas would sometimes run out if the tank was completely full. With the vent at the back this does not happen.
That's the ticket! I have the same tank with the rollover valve. I'll run mine out the floor too. Thanks for sharing.

I put the one way inside the body at the back. The breather runs from inside the tank to the one way through the perch. The end of the pipe that goes to atmosphere is then run down the body and out of the floor through a tight fitting hole.

one way.JPG

I glassed in a bracket to hold it firm.

one way2.JPG

The breather tube in the tank goes right up into the filler neck and ends up just under the fuel cap. Its the one sticking out the top of the centre section.

breather.JPG

This way its all hidden and the vapour exits under the car in the middle of the chassis away from the exhausts.

I put the one way inside the body at the back. The breather runs from inside the tank to the one way through the perch. The end of the pipe that goes to atmosphere is then run down the body and out of the floor through a tight fitting hole.

View attachment 14625

I glassed in a bracket to hold it firm.

View attachment 14626

The breather tube in the tank goes right up into the filler neck and ends up just under the fuel cap. Its the one sticking out the top of the centre section.

View attachment 14627

This way its all hidden and the vapour exits under the car in the middle of the chassis away from the exhausts.
That's a pretty nice setup you made Gerry.

Here's my vent: an adapter, 1/4NPT-#6AN, with a cap. Stuff the cap and adapter with steel wool, seal the bottom with a plug of epoxy. Drill a tiny hole in the epoxy. File or grind a small groove in the adapter AN mating surface for the air to get in. Fuel would have to get thru the little hole, then thru the steel wool. I've used this design for years. Make sure the bottom of the adapter doesn't reach into the fuel, or fuel would be squeezed up thru it as the air in the tank warms and expands.
dcp_1239-jpg.4815

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back