Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Gas tank before or after

tfeverfred

Hey Rick, was it easier to put your gas tank in before or after the body? I know how it mounts and it looks like there is plenty of room after. What do you suggest? Yea, I'm researching!:)

With a Total body and a Total tank you can do it either way.BUT when you put the body on be carefull cause it's tight for a minute or two look at this.

TANKFITSNICE-1.jpg

That's a nice big pic. I see what you mean about tight. I also see something else. You used a Grant 3 spoke wheel like I have. Does it need a special adapter to mount on their column kit? The steering setup in the instructions seems to look like a Grant that uses 5 bolts.

Plus, my suspicions on not trying to use another companies body was correct. The Total body has cut out for the Watts linkage. Nice pic.

Look real close and you'll see the cut out for the watts. Yes the adaptor is Total #PST1165.

[/img][/url]

From that pic HOW DID YOU SEE THE WATTS CUT OUT.???????????

Thanks for the steering wheel info. I like the Grant 3 spoke that I have and the one Total uses looks too "ricer":rolleyes:.

It's just behind the tank. I can just see the top of where the body is made to clear it. Plus, I had my suspicions when I mocked up my little temp seat. I noticed how other bodys sit in relation to the kickup.

Rick said:
Yes the adaptor # is PST 1165 From Total

Rick, I looked at the adapter with that number on Totals site and it has 5 holes not 3.

tfeverfred said:
Rick, I looked at the adapter with that number on Totals site and it has 5 holes not 3.
This is the one you have right?
IM000030.jpg

Yes, that's the steering wheel I have. The old style, chrome, 3 spoke. Did you make a plate to mount it to the adapter?

The steering wheel I have is like the one in the first pic. It has 3 mounting holes. How did you mount it to the 5 hole adapter?

tfeverfred said:
Yes, that's the steering wheel I have. The old style, chrome, 3 spoke. Did you make a plate to mount it to the adapter?
yes but that all went with the old bucket.

Okay, I see. I guess I'll use the wheel that Total sells too. It just looks so "sports car".

Rick, I may try and make a plate to mount the old style Grant wheel when I get my steering column. How thick was yours? Would 1/2" aluminum plate work or will I just have to settle for the wheel Total sells. It's a nice Grant wheel, but $85 is kinda high and it's really not the look I want.

You start with a half inch but you drill a hole in the middle then chuck it up in a lathe then turn down the outside diameter then move to the bridgeport to drill and tap the eight holes so they line up with the adaptor/wheel.As i work in a machine shop i can do this.You might wanna pop for the other wheel BUT HOLD UP!!! let me call my brother in law and see if he still has the wheel.It's worth a call.

Somehow I knew it would be beyond my means to build one. If he wants to part with the plate, let me know. I'm in no hurry, so don't waste too much time on it. I can live with the Total wheel if I have too.

Okay, sounds good. Thanks.

Man, I sure hope I can have her drivable for Springfield in June. It's going to be tough and I'll probably be in gelcoat:eek:, but I really want to make it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back