Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

general question

Muddy1975

Okay guys, new so bare with me. Not sure if I am posting in the right section. Have a general question, looking for opinions. Is it better to or more practical to buy a kit or buy a used bucket? Still need to decide on a 23 or 27. Just seems like the used buckets on ebay seem to be more cost effective. Even if I wanted to buy and change up things like wheels, paint, etc. What are you thoughts. Thanks.. D

I would not buy somebody else's bucket unless I could either personally examine it in detail or have someone I trust do it. The quality of workmanship on these things runs the full range from show quality (which you'll typically pay a premium for) to "OMG! How could that thing possibly function?!?!?" If you are looking for an "affordable" bucket, you're more likely to have to deal with quality of workmanship issues. I would be more comfortable buying a used "kit" car than a home-fabricated one.

I haven't priced used buckets, but I think you are probably right that you will pay less for a used bucket than the comparable kit. Personally, I really enjoyed putting my Spirit car together. I was able to customize it for my tastes and I know the quality of the workmanship as I touched every single fre-fabricated part and did most of the additional fabrication to make my bucket unique (George Barnes (GAB) did the critical fab work on the Jag conversion, but then George is a fab genious).

Also, don't let the term "kit" fool you. Although you can get a very complete kit from Spirit (I don't know how complete the other vendor's kits are), you will still end up having to source A LOT of parts. This can get very aggravating at times. If you don't have the patience to fit and re-fit, chase parts, order parts on the 'net and have to send them back because they weren't what you expected, etc., then a used bucket is probably the way to go (with the above caveat).

Good luck on your project!

I agree with Lee. You can buy the typical T bucket that is finished for about half what it took to build it, but there is some real junk out there. Most of the ones I see at shows with a for sale sign on them have substandard construction and questionable parts. But that doesn't mean you can't find a good one occasionally..............you just have to have patience and know what you are looking at.

Don

my opinion , if i was starting from square one is id buy a kit from spirit , and id use parts i needed made by RPM known quality an decent folks to deal with like lee says buying a car or project is hit or miss paint covers a lot of sins :cool:

Muddy,

I'm in the process of building a 23. I went with a frame and body that was made up in Dallas. I have seen and driven one that was complete. I chose to do it this way because of cost savings.

I am not a fan of buying one that is partially complete because, chances are I would not know what/how it was constructed. In my opinion, I'd spend a lot of time taking everything apart to make sure it was ok.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with Spirit. I'd also have the engine and transmission for it too.

RPM is a good source of parts. The Speedway catalog will become your favored reading material.

PaulR

A really big factor is your ability can you weld and do electircal and mechanical? Also do you want a car to drive right away. Mine I bought as a prebuilt because if I built one here in Wisconsin it would have to have fenders if built after march 1 1996. Mine is titled as a 1990. Just something else to watch out for in your decisions. Build safe.

No matter which way you go, finding someone who owns or is at least knowledgable about T's will greatly increse your chances of an enjoyable experience. Putz has a very valid point to. Concider your skill levels. Anything you have to pay someone else to do is going to raise the price of your build dramaticly. If you have a skill look for labor trades. When ever possible, look at what you are buying. What is ok with some folks isn't always ok with you.

Ron

Thanks guys for all the input. Leaning towards Spirit kit. I know they offer several stages, looking at the Super kit for either a 23 or 27. Anyone have any experiece with one of these? Have a great connection for engine, tranny. So those items I will get a great deal on. Guess like everyone else, don't want to spend more than needed but also not interested in cutting corners.

On another note the guy as Spirit said this is a true no fab needed kit. Is this accurate?

Muddy1975 said:
Thanks guys for all the input. Leaning towards Spirit kit. I know they offer several stages, looking at the Super kit for either a 23 or 27. Anyone have any experiece with one of these? Have a great connection for engine, tranny. So those items I will get a great deal on. Guess like everyone else, don't want to spend more than needed but also not interested in cutting corners.

On another note the guy as Spirit said this is a true no fab needed kit. Is this accurate?
Bob builds a really nice kit but it depends on what stage you buy depends on if any fab is needed.

I did the Spirit Super Kit. I had them do the floor and the Bed to save me some time. They are great to work with and the body is good and solid. I also had them put the door in.
I have some pictures in my Gallery.

My Question to Muddy......
How soon do you want to be driving your T-Bucket ?
If you want to play right away, then your better off to BUY a completed car. Hopefully you can find one that was built right to begin with.
If your not in a big hurry and know what you want, then look the so called "kits" over and choose one that fits, go from there....
We don't know what your skill level is, If your able to fabricate and weld ? Thats always a plus in this game, along with a place to work..
You may buy a completed car and after driving it around, you find you don't like it afterall........So your out a few bucks that you may be able to get back on the resale, rather than a couple months (??) of build time and a lot of nickles and dimes...:welcome:
Good luck and have fun, thats what it's all about ! ( and spending $$$$$$) :eek:
"BH"

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back