Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Getting started...

I like Jims stuff.You'll love those hydro shocks on the front

Got a early start today.. made it to wintec, my buddies machine shop, and about 12 trips to napa. Hopefully as soon as the correct races come in i'll be able to have the front rolling.

t8.jpg

Ted Brown----look at the shock is it OK --this way?!!

I can almost feel the excitement in your posts. Clean up the trans, get the chassis together, look at the wheels. If you do what I do... go for a coffee and forget to drink it because you see something that needs to be done, RIGHT NOW, youre a true car nut

Go for it... you ll love the next few weeks.

Nothing like a true Bucketeer

Gerry

Ted Brown----look at the shock is it OK --this way?!!

What way? Its kinda funky looking now because I have everything just hanging on by the 1st few threads for mockup. Thats all just primer not final paint.

At least the shocks are not half collapsed already, but more pics farther down the line will tell more... :) Most people have the shocks mounted with the mounting pins to close together, with no weight on the chassis, one should have to have 2 or 3 big guys stand on the frame to hook up the shocks... Ya think? :)

Drove up to TSR Racing in new hampshire yesterday to pick up my manual VB powerglide..
t9.jpg

Just waiting on the rear brake kit to make it a roller.. and some more cash :laugh:

Cash is the limit on most bucket builds looks like you are having fun.

I see you have an air cooled PG case, do you intend to use an air cooled converter? I don't see any reason that should not work out just fine...
CB

I see you have an air cooled PG case, do you intend to use an air cooled converter? I don't see any reason that should not work out just fine...
CB

If I had a air-cooled converter I would but ive never seen one listed anywhere. Im just going to run a small cooler under the car.

Got the engine i pulled out of my trans-am out of storage then broke it down to see what it needed today.. Actually doesn't look to bad. :smile:
t11.jpg

In your T no trans cooler is needed, not near that heavy... They are only needed in a standard car that may pull a trailer in the heat and up a hill, that is when a cooler is needed, and that is directly from a very good trans builder... :)

In your T no trans cooler is needed, not near that heavy... They are only needed in a standard car that may pull a trailer in the heat and up a hill, that is when a cooler is needed, and that is directly from a very good trans builder... :)

Ted just asking what about if you have a high stall converter?I have a moderate converter and T.C.I recomended a cooler.

CRALT

Haven't checked, but can't you just use a Vega converter? I think they are air cooled, then you'd be safe for sure without an external cooler... Would also give you a higher stall speed due to the smaller size rotor/stator. About $100 rebuilt I think...

Ted,

I hear you on a T350 or T700R4, but doesn't a PG have a much looser converter / hence more heat? Just speculating, and don't know the real story. On my Jag Mark II with SBC and PG, I run a small cooler in front of the radiator, and it never seems to get overly warm, but I wouldn't be able to keep my hand on it after a good pull. Anyone know the real skinny on PG's? PS, I really like the PG with that light Jag, it just squirts along...

Corley

Ya the vega converters are about 90bux at my parts house. But I don't think they come with the fins anymore.

I found a nice thin cross flow cooler in my piles of junk so i may just put that in if i can find room. If not i was thinking about making a big loop out of 3/8 line and just having it run along to frame rail and then back in to the trans.

Looking good. Just getting started in the planning of a Wintec Roadster with our local voc school. I appreciate the pics and tech info. Keep it coming.

Trans coolers in a T Bucket is a waste of money and more connections that could leak, keep it simple, I have only a loop of 3/8 copper tube, in and out, it has been working for over 40 years, and no trans problems, just need to change the in-pan filter now and then. :)

S-L-O-W-L-Y moving along.

Got a rear drum brake kit and body from Wintec.

Plans changed with the power plant. I scored a 1964 283 crank and block off CL. I have to run emissions equipment for year of engine so this block will be much easyer then my 1983 block.

t12.jpg

Got the currie axles and 9" all in there. worked out the axle vent and found a good brake hose to use. Off a 89 W150 dodge p/u.

t13.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back