Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

GPS Speedo

Corley

I was just wonderring if anyone has used a GPS navigation device as their speedometer? I've got a Garmin unit that has a screen with a large speedo on it, and it closely tracks the cars speedo that I have used it in, so I was thinking this could be fitted into the dash of the 'T', to provide a speedo without the cable. It occationally is a bit off for a second or two, but overall it's very effective. Anyone done this? (Yeah, I know, it's again, not traditional, high tech, probably a basturdization of the 'T' tradition, etc.. . .) It seems kind of cool though...

I was just wonderring if anyone has used a GPS navigation device as their speedometer? I've got a Garmin unit that has a screen with a large speedo on it, and it closely tracks the cars speedo that I have used it in, so I was thinking this could be fitted into the dash of the 'T', to provide a speedo without the cable. It occationally is a bit off for a second or two, but overall it's very effective. Anyone done this? (Yeah, I know, it's again, not traditional, high tech, probably a basturdization of the 'T' tradition, etc.. . .) It seems kind of cool though...

No
But I am going to use my sat nav to calibrate my electronic speedo. Front axle. Now theres two people who have figured it out. No rear end pics at the moment... sorry
Gerry

That is what I use for a speedo, a small GPS unit mounted on the side of the windshield. Dash has five gauges and there is no room for a traditional speedo. Works fine for me :)

Like Gerry suggested, I used a GPS to calibrate my speedometer. That works pretty good. At least it was reading good when the nice deputy pulled me over. My speedo and his radar were right on the money!

There are several companies making GPS speedometers. They're kind of expensive though. Used a lot in boats.

Mike

I have had 3 different garmins in my truck and they are always within 1 mph of my truck speedo so I would definitely trust the GPS.

My S/W speedo doesn't work so I use the cheap hand held garmin, works great. I use it in my classic speedboat too.

Frank

I got a jet boat and there are GPS speedometers out there for boats. I have used my Garmin GPS in the bucket a few times. Works great.

I've use my GPS a few times, but the woman in there doesn't speak loud enough.

". . .but the woman in there doesn't speak loud enough."

Jim,

I'm sorry to tell you, and maybe you do already know this, but there is not actually a woman inside that GPS unit. It's all done with smoke and mirrors...

Corley

". . .but the woman in there doesn't speak loud enough."

Jim,

I'm sorry to tell you, and maybe you do already know this, but there is not actually a woman inside that GPS unit. It's all done with smoke and mirrors...

Corley
Jim my GPS lady has a British accent, love it when she tells me what to do.

Jim my GPS lady has a British accent, love it when she tells me what to do.

You can change the speaker voice and you can also go to Garmin.com and download all kinds of voices and accents as well as type of vehicles on the screen.

GPS is now in common use to land planes on the runway all by themselves... no pilot input.. yes Paris, the same runway specified by ATIS and the tower.

I sure hope I can get far enough along to have a GPS as well as a PLC on my panel - maybe even as fold-over my lap top input devices. Heck at my age, I just hope I can finish this car and have several years of driving fun.... without incident.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back