Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Grille lshell

Randall. Why not make your own?? They are not that hard to make.. Thin Steel plate will do the job nicely, then paint it to match your body or?? Weld it from the inside? and let seams show? or bondo it all like molding a custom frame. That way you can have your own look... Otherwise, there are many cars, trucks, tractors, ?? to pick from.. at least an idea of how to go...

Yea just make your own, we make ours. Cut out the shape you want, from 14 ga for the front. Then use a strip of about 18 ga for the side and top. Start at one end and start tacking it in place.
P1010009.jpg

I'm using an old Walker T-bucket radiator (E-bay), I used a '32 shell but I chopped it 4" and widend it 1.5" then added 3.5" depth to it so that it would cover the entier radiator and give room in front of the radiator for the electric fan.

I called every company I could find when I needed a shell for my T. I had a glass one in the shop, but wanted a steel one for the thinness of it. I learned the supply had dried up because there was one company making them for everybody and the molds wore out, and it was too expensive to remake them. That may have changed because I think I recently saw something about someone having steel shells.

Finally, a very nice member of the NTBA came to my rescue and sold me one he had been storing for years. It was supposed to be a T shell, but we found out it was from some other unknown car............that made it all the better, it is a little different in design. We cut it up and rewelded it back together to fit my radiator more closely, and it came out great. Luckily, it was absolutely mint when I got it. I thank that member every time I wax my grille shell. :)

Here are some pictures, before and after.

Don

tgrilleshellmorework-1.jpg

tgrilleshellfinalwelding003.jpg

tafterfirstlongdrive003-2.jpg

PopsTcarbs016.jpg

Lets see if I can pull this one off, heres a hand built aluminum on mine
008.jpg

norseman said:
008.jpg

probably screwed up this one too! lolol

Nice job on the grill AND the pic.;)

hey! lolol it looks better from the front but evidently I can only get this pic to load..I guess the buisness end of grilles is what counts.. it took a long time to get it the way I wanted. Mustang radiator, generic GM electric fan
I wish I knew what it was off of other than just GM but for a $5 swap meet find Im not complaining.

You have the right idea, now if you make it to mount to the BOTTOM of your frame, you will be lookin GREAT! and use rubber on both sides of the mounting bracket, it also needs a thin (1/8) plate type of washer for the bottom bolts to snug up to, use nylocks and do not over tighten on the rubber...

I thought about bringing it up from the bottom but decided against it in case I ever gotta fix something out in the boondocks, we have alot of that here. I can take it all apart and dont need a jack..:wall:

Norseman.......nice job on that radiator cowl. Could ya post a pic from the front? Gives a better idea of how you fabricated the whole thing. Thanks, Kit.

In the parts pile behind the barn I have a grill sheel that looks exactly like a t except no stamped ford but a stainless peerless emblem. MY 17 horseless carrage T has an aftermarket honeycomb pattern radiator and shell with no ford logo. In my horseless carriage collection of stull I have an old sears catalog with model t ford parts shown ... I had a friend that taught jr Hi school metal shop and I built 4 horseless carriaage style model T speedster bodies with the brake. shear bead and slip roller. I made a brass grill shell that covered a stock 27 radiator that looked like the brass 15 radiator.

oldtman said:
In the parts pile behind the barn I have a grill sheel that looks exactly like a t except no stamped ford but a stainless peerless emblem. MY 17 horseless carrage T has an aftermarket honeycomb pattern radiator and shell with no ford logo. In my horseless carriage collection of stull I have an old sears catalog with model t ford parts shown ... I had a friend that taught jr Hi school metal shop and I built 4 horseless carriaage style model T speedster bodies with the brake. shear bead and slip roller. I made a brass grill shell that covered a stock 27 radiator that looked like the brass 15 radiator.

All that cool stuff and no pictures! We need some pictures! :lol:

One thing that is important to me is that the top of the grill shell is not higher than the top of the cowl. Maybe its just me but when the grill shell, or radiator if you have no shell, sticks above the cowl it looks awkward or like not enough thought was given to mounting it correctly.

I am only expressing my opinion, and I know the saying about opinions, so I hope that nobody gets offended. This was meant as constructive criticism.

Jim

Yup, that looks like the front. Good job Paul.

Jim, you are right. We need to take more time to sit back and look at things overall. I have found where changes were needed after stepping back and taking a good look.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back