Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Ground Clearance

bobs66440

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
After getting the car to loaded ride height, I'm seeing that I only have about 2-1/2" clearance between the steering box and the ground. Under normal conditions I don't think I would have a problem as long as I avoided speed bumps, but a crown or rise in a driveway may be an issue. I double checked and if I get a flat on that side, the box is still at least an inch off the ground. What is your experience? Cutting the bracket off and re-welding it will be a pita...

I have about 3-1/2" to the oil pan, so I think I'm good there.

The bottom of my box is about 3 1/2+" off the ground and it can be a problem with speed bumps in parking lots. I always look for an opening in the bump and go for it. Real slow, I might add. If you have the room to go up with the mount, I think I would do the PITA thing.
Lee

I decided to do the right thing and move the box up for more clearance. I had to cut the welds and trim the mount 1", but it wasn't too difficult. Now it's at 4" from the ground and 1/2" higher than the oil pan. An added bonus is the drag link is more level with the front hairpin too.

I saw an A model with a box mounted like yours and he had mounted a skit plate under the box.

That looks a bunch better. Really the only place that mine has drug is at my driveway. Never has been a problem on the road or parking lots. IF,, I go for the gaps in the speed bumps.:(

While you're considering things like ground clearance, it's not too soon to also think about how to mount wiring and tubing to the frame. Whoever built my car ran the fuel line all the way up one side of the car under the frame. The car can't be jacked up on that side without smashing the tubing. I just don't understand why people do stuff like this. :confused:

Jack

Yes, thanks. I have thought about the wire/line routing. Not sure yet exactly how I will do it...inside the frame or outside, but I'm pretty sure it won't be under the frame, ha ha.

Yes, thanks. I have thought about the wire/line routing. Not sure yet exactly how I will do it...inside the frame or outside, but I'm pretty sure it won't be under the frame, ha ha.
I'd say go inside that way it is out of sight for the most part and keeps the frame with a cleaner look JMHO

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back