Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

has anyone seen this shock mount before?

smokeyco75

20131130_115231.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I don't know if this pic will show up or not. Haven't had success posting a pic from photobucket through my smartphone as of yet.

Haven't seen that one before, but have built one for a friend that was kind of like it. It replaced the popular friction layout and placed the new shock below the frame rail to be as inconspicuous as possible. The arm had a rod end mounted in a slider to make up for the differences in the radius rods length and the shock arms dimensions.

I saw this car at the Turkey rod run in Daytona back in November. The t next to his had the same setup. I think they were from New York if I remember correctly. I never noticed that was threaded out so far. Wow!

I have to wonder how good the shocks work laying down? They are designed to work vertical. If they worked good that way all the major car manufactures would mount them like that.

Ron, you are correct in your thinking. The reason is they will start leaking at the top seal soon because the shocks work going in and going out as in 90/90 pressure unlike 90/10 racing shocks which are ineffective on a street rod.

I know the Pete & Jakes ones I have (they look identical to these) don't work unless they are vertical. If you turn them upside down and move them in and out, you can hear the air bubbles being passed through...

WOW that has to just barely be in the radius rod. As Jimmy Buffet says "Be careful out there kiddies"!!, Maybe that he spend so many Brain cells on the shock mount he didn't notice.

Do not want to get into debate on shock design/function but there are lots of shocks out there that can be mounted in ANY position. Check out the dirt bikes, super bikes, Harley softails, QA1 circle track and some street, etc. Just need to know the design of your particular shock.

Yes please, a debate on shocks and mounts! Some good tech to wake us up. Here's a neat idea one of our guys drew up:

PotvinGuy-ShockMount.jpg

I'd like to do something like this, maybe with the shock completely exposed in a slot in the frame. Maybe even a small coilover or air shock, so I could tweak the front ride height. And a billet arm, and a transparent window, and purple neon and...

I'm building a setup very similar to
Yes please, a debate on shocks and mounts! Some good tech to wake us up. Here's a neat idea one of our guys drew up:

PotvinGuy-ShockMount.jpg

I'd like to do something like this, maybe with the shock completely exposed in a slot in the frame. Maybe even a small coilover or air shock, so I could tweak the front ride height. And a billet arm, and a transparent window, and purple neon and...
I'm fabricating a very similar setup to the drawing. I'm using aluminum torsion arms designed for the rear of a B.east midget to locate to the bottom of my axle and transfer the motion to my shocks mounted inboard of my frame rails through two 5" long splined solid bars that Sander Engineering fabricated for me. I've visited with QA-1 about the valving required because of the different lengths of the two arms as the length effects both the speed and leverage applied to the shock. I'll see if I can get some pics uploaded soon. I have been on a hiatus for about a year and a half while my wife recovered from major back surgery, but warm weather has returned to Colorado and it is now time to get moving on my project again.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back