Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Having trouble with my zz4 crate motor

I think I read you dc'd the vac advance, make sure you run it. You only dc it when setting your initial timing then hook it back up. BTW, that engine runs best with 32 degrees total advance (not counting the additional vacuum advance) The factory distributor is setup to have it all in by 3K. Without the vac advance you give up fuel economy, better idle characteristics, make sure the vac. line goes to full vacuum on the carb-not ported like Holley says.

Which would be full vacuum? Would that be off the manifold or maybe the large port off the back of the carb? There is also a plugged port on the passenger side about half way up the side. Is that one the ported one? Sorry for all the rookie questions. If this was as a Harley I would be fine.

Well, hey, I'm glad she's going good for ya! Thats what we're here for, to help out!
Well, certain motors like full manifold vacuum, others like ported. Since she seems to be running good where you have her, look to your carb baseplate. Should be a small 1/8 vac. on the rear of the carb on the baseplate, try that. It should like full manifold vacuum. Now, give that a whirl....did these folks give you any reason just to run mechanical advance?
Let us know how she feels....If you can't find a 1/8th port on your carb baseplate, screw in a fitting into one of those big holes at the rear with a vacuum tree or a single 1/8th line and try there. When you hookup your advance, the motor should idle up, smooth out, you'll probably have to reset your idlespeed.

The big port on the rear is for power brakes and such Are you running a airgap dual Plane?

The other large nipple is for PCV, usually ported vac source is above the bse plate imho

Yep, as SS said, the ported is usually is on the throat, usually on the side of the carb. The big-ones are for the Power brakes and PCV , so if your not familiar with a PCV system, you might have to get creative here.
Usually. folks like to hide such things. You can go to a valve cover with your large vacuum line (usually 5/16 or 3/8's), have a press-in PCV ballvalve, and then have the other valve cover with a twist in breather for adding oil. Thats usually the standard affair. This is how you vent your whole motor and take all the stress off the seals.
OR, you could try and look slick, mount your PCV in you intake in the lifter valley, and have each valve cover vented. OR run scavaging lines to your valve covers from your collectors to keep ring flutter down. Yhis is done on sure enough performance motors where you want maximum ring seal.
This, my friend, is up to you.... I'm pretty sure some of the guys will jump on in in a way that looks good....they got some neat stuff....

Dam thing telling me I can't edit my post!!!! Anyway....The PCV in the lifter valley, and venting the valvecovers was the way it was done at the factory by Pontiac.
My 421 SuperDuty Catalina Factory Drag Car was setup like that. Worked good. It had the Funky Factory tunnelram on it.

I have the PVC valve plug into the port on the front of the carb, it was marked for that in the carb instructions. There is a breather in the pass. side valve cover. I have a double fitting screwed into the manifold behind the carb for the trans module. I'll plug the distributor into the other outlet there. Do I need to have it plugged in when I set the total timing, or just plug it in after it's set?

After you set the timing. The motor is running fine like it is, you pretty well have it set where it likes to run. Just run vacuum to the distributor diaphram. Then take her for a spin and let us know how she is performing. Keep a eye on your temperature and oilpressure.
After its run in a little, pinch off your vacuum line, readjust your timing the way I told you, then put your timing light on it. Write that # down. Then unclamp your vacuum line, then check that with your timing light. Write that # Down.

These performance motors with a performance cam, good heads, a good intake and carb, in the ballpark #'s are exactly that, #'s. Set it to where the motor runs best. Go a few degrees up and try it. Drive it around for a few days, write those numbers down, and how it ran.
Back it down a couple of degrees, and see how it runs. Record those numbers.

Every motor is different and unique. I've build motors that should have been in the winners circle, and they performed. I've done the same thing on exactly the same setup, and got more than 10 extra horses. Go figure. And everyone of them likes the timing different.

Just play with it, its running good, get it where you want it to be....

Oil pressure is good 70lbs. cold and 45-50 warm. Temp has been good. It's been in the 60s here today. Can drive without fan on unless stopped and stays around 180-190. Stays below 190 with fan on and idling in the driveway. Headers are about 550-600 degrees about an inch from the head running in the driveway.

T
Oil pressure is good 70lbs. cold and 45-50 warm. Temp has been good. It's been in the 60s here today. Can drive without fan on unless stopped and stays around 180-190. Stays below 190 with fan on and idling in the driveway. Headers are about 550-600 degrees about an inch from the head running in the driveway.
Thats good #'s on the oil pressure and the coolant temps....Drive her around and enjoy! Glad I could be of help! Do a burnout for me!

All thats needed now is a few hundred miles of cruisin! Be dam sure to change out your oil and filter after a short while. I usually do it after a few hours after startup to get all the virgin crap out of the oiling system. Then again at about 2 weeks of everyday driving. Some folks probably won't agree with this, but even though its a new motor, parts are seating in to one another, and its actually shedding microscopic particles of metal.
Now, after a few days of running, those wear-in giblets get all loose and flushed into the pan. Since you have a roller cam, your oil will be free of alot of this, but, theres still gonna be crap in there, so change it.
On your paperwork they probably tell you after your drive it X miles below a certain rpm, then at X you can go over that and at 250 miles or 500 miles have your oil/filter changed.
Do it a few hours after initial startup, then at 250 miles, then at every 5000 miles.
I have noticed after years and years of building these things, we throw away good money on perfectly good oils, by changing it at 2500 miles. If your oil has started to get black, by all means change it. But at 2500 miles, if your oil still looks clean, it is.
BG has a microscopic service where you take a look at the oil under a microscope, looking for metals and impurities. You can often head off a bearing failure or a head gasket leak with these tests.
Does everybody need them? NO. If you get a few thousand miles on your motor, you could look into it and will tell you all is well. Not everyone can drop $4000+ for a new performance long block. And avoiding problems with a investment of a oil test is small.
Remember, these parts today are not of the same stuff that was back when I first started building motors. Tolerances can fluctuate, oils has less zddp in them, fuel has lower octane, all the usual stuff.

Yes, If you change your filter and oil after a runin, then at 250 miles, your are just flushing all the loose mess out. If you can afford it, protect your motor with something like Mystic Synth blend 20w 50. Its a little heavier than the 10w30 that they call for, but you will get alot more protection. Or, if your agianst that, wait till your motors oil pressure falls to about 40-38 psi hot, then switch. Thats means that main clearences have opened up.
I've done alot of research on oils, and yes, performance oils now for max. horses, 00w30. Thats great for racing. Low oilpump drag, 0 drag 2 the bearings, fast oil return, puts the heat into the oil to keep the motor cool on those 10.5 class runs....
Not for the street.
Your motors lifeblood is a thin film of oil between that main bearing and that crankshaft. When a motor is shut down, and that oil pressure bleeds off on the crank journals, that crank is sitting, YES MY FRIENDS, it sitting directly on that bearing surface.
Now, when that motor lights, its a few seconds of where your just depending on you oils 'film strength' to get you by until the oil pressure gets to the mains. 80% of all your wear is done during startup. Thats whey the folks that have over $15,ooo in a motor have accu-sumps or pressurized oiling at startups.
Be the best, old school lowtech way of making that hi-perf. motor live without a lot of undue wear is going with a good oil.
A synth blend 20w50, or a full synthetic is good. If you just wanna do things right. run a 20w50 racing oil. It still has the zddp in it, anti wear agents, hi-film strength, and hi-load capabilities.
Yes, its more expensive than Quacker-States 10w30 thats 99 cents a can, that'll burn and turn to sludge after a few thousand miles. ( just kidding, but we have all seen that black flakey coating up in those valvecovers before from the baked oil) The racing oil is cheaper than the Synthetic, which is superior in protection and oil life than the others.
But just think. Wouldn't you like that motor to stick around for a few years? The std. oils now are made for the newer cars. Wanna protect your motor, go with a racing oil at the least. More money, but more protection, A snyth blend is the next step up. Or the best antiwear, go with a full synth. If its hot were you are or your motor gets to 200 and likes to stay there, go with a 20w50. everywhere else, a 15w40. Noticed that they don't use alot of 10w40s anymore? Because its almost the same as a 10w30. That bottom number is what the motor see's when she's trying to start cold.
Take care of those motors out there friends....

Well explained, Screamin'. Good advice there. A Caterpillar Tech Rep told me recently that for the ZDDP anti scuff additives in a mineral oil to work, the oil temp needs to be around the 160F mark, minimum. He also said that a full synthetic is way ahead on anti scuff whatever the temperature, no contest at all. In the Caterpillar gensets they like the oil to scavenge at over 200F so the tank vacuum boils any water and fuel out, and go back into the engine at 140F.
I always thought that the second number in a multigrade oil was the viscosity at 180F, but it ain't. In say, a 20-50W, that oil behaves like a single weight 50W at 180F, hopefully retaining close to the original cold viscosity. Is all, so just because you know something for sure doesn't mean it's true!!!.

Well there ba60, hows she running? Been cruisin' with her?

She's running great. I hooked up the vacuum advance to the manifold source and it takes the advance up to around 50degrees at idle and at 2500. Is this OK? It's at 34 degrees at 2500rpm without the vacuum advance. I'm running 92 octane and 10to1 compression. I haven't heard any pinging. I'm alittle nerveous about that as I think that's what damaged my piston in the other engine. This thing sure gets alot of attention on the road. I get alot of thumbs up from other drivers.

She's running great. I hooked up the vacuum advance to the manifold source and it takes the advance up to around 50degrees at idle and at 2500. Is this OK? It's at 34 degrees at 2500rpm without the vacuum advance. I'm running 92 octane and 10to1 compression. I haven't heard any pinging. I'm alittle nerveous about that as I think that's what damaged my piston in the other engine. This thing sure gets alot of attention on the road. I get alot of thumbs up from other drivers.
DAM! 50???? If I were you, I'd run premium with that 10:1, just to be safe. I'm not there in person to look and listen to things, but, I believe you'll be OK. Call the folks that you got the motor from (the builders), and ask them about that 50 degrees.
Usually on a long stroke motor thats gonna see street use, I usually run a vacuum advance can that has a setscrew inside the diaphram can, so I can limit the advance there to tune it back down to about 46 or so.
Heres a way to check. Start your T, get her good and warm, put her in drive, then with you foot hard on the brake, just pat the fast pedal, to where your tach probably shows 3800-4000. Kinda a light stomp while holding the brakes. Do you hear the motor pinging?
IF SO, since you say it runs good at 50 with the vacuum hooked up, loosen your distr. and turn her back to 48. Try her there, for a few days. Just drive her around, You'll probably notice that it'll pull just as well from idle, but might have a little more midrange pep. By that I mean it'll probably be hard to keep from barking or spinning the tires. If that is the case, back her down another 2 degrees....shoot for about 46....
If at 46 it doesn't seem as good as it did at 48, put her back to 48. Just play with it.
As far as fuel, I'd stop and pickup a can of that Octane booster till I filled up with premium. Really and truly, it'd be best to keep a can of that booster in your car at all times, because you don't know when your gonna pick up a tankful of that green crap! Seriously! Then you'll probably hear her ping, bigtime!

Alot of my customers run alky, the alky burns cooler than the fuel, and theres alot less stress on the parts, but to make the power you gotta run BIG, and I mean BIG jets. Like 115's on up! When that ethanol is added to fuel, they are just watering it down.

Hey ba60, hows she doing? Got her broke in yet?

She's running great! Just a touch of the key starts her warm or cold. I can break the tires loose at almost any speed up to 60 by just mashing down the throttle. Really glad I bought a T. I can't believe all the attention it gets. Now I need to upgrade the brakes, no front brakes as I have wire wheels up front and the drums in back won't lock up even with all new parts including new mc, lines, drums and shoes. Petal is hard but it doesn't stop real well. I have run about a quart of fluid through them with speed bleeders.

Good to hear that she's running great!
As far as the brakes are concerned, lets go to the brake section and get you all fixed up!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back