Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Header Supports/Mounts

bobs66440

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
The thread about the Sanderson headers got me thinking. I would like to add a support of some sort to the muffler so the header isn't carrying all the weight of it and the muffler extension. But it's quite far away from the frame. I had a similar setup on my Model A but the pipe was closer to the frame and I just welded on a small strut that was hardly noticeable. I would like to see what others have done if possible. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Me too

Here is how I supported my headers.

Jim

I thought I had some better pictures, its setup like Jim's:

3%20apr%202013%20008.JPG_595.jpg

I only used 1 support at the end. I used some 3/4 tubing bent to match the profile and mashed the ends flat in my press.

I slipped a rubber boot over the end attached to the frame to give it a tiny bit of flex.

29%20Mar%202013%20006.JPG_595.jpg

This shot was after I re-bent my headers to match the profile of the car and before I remade the supports.

My header supports are similar to Keepers and keeping with the theme, my pictures are not very descriptive either.

IMG_2059_zps5f216356.jpg

100MEDIA36IMAG0632_zps1d9974d7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My header supports are similar to Keepers and keeping with the theme, my pictures are not very descriptive either.
IMG_2059_zps5f216356.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
100MEDIA36IMAG0632_zps1d9974d7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Not sure why my images didn't post but if Mike or one our Moderators could fix, I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Mike

I added a step last fall and made a small mount off of that using a rubber exhaust hanger from Pep Boys. I wanted to have it done before I replace my cracked headers.

Last edited:
@Bennett - Photobucket changed their URL options, some time back. Log into your Photobucket account, view the image you are wanting to display here, then copy the the Direct link, then paste it into the IMG tags here. It looks like you have tried to use the IMG link that Photobucket supplies and that one won't work. I tried to come up with a best guess on what the URL might be, but it looks as if you have album directories within album directories, and I cannot sort it.

HA! I feexed it. :cool:

The reason I couldn't sort it before is because you have a space in your folder name (My T-Bucket) and computers see spaces as a character, rather than a blank. Once I saw the hexadecimal code for a space character, which is actually '%20', I deleted that and it worked.

But the above still holds true, use the Direct URL from Photobucket and all will work as it should.

My mufflers were chrome plated and I didn't want to weld on them. I used a polished stainless band style exhaust clamp cut in half. The rubber supports are poly sway bar end link bushings. The body hides most of it.

A bracket welded to the muffler would have been a better choice, but this one has worked for 6 years now.

I couldn't find a finished pic. It has stainless hardware now.

I may have to draw up a pic, since the one picture of someone else's T that I have doesn't show it very well. But, I'm planning on, think a really short, but really wide, upside down "T" hanging from the transmission and under the mufflers. That way, they can move with the engine, but still be supported

I may have to draw up a pic, since the one picture of someone else's T that I have doesn't show it very well. But, I'm planning on, think a really short, but really wide, upside down "T" hanging from the transmission and under the mufflers. That way, they can move with the engine, but still be supported
Technically, that's a great idea, but it would have to be really wide! Hmmm...

Chris,
I'm not sure what you mean by an upside down T, but here is one that is something similar. It is just a tube with a small sleeve on each end to bolt to a tab welded to the the collector. There is a plate in the middle that bolts to the lower 2 bolts of the transmission tailhousing.

The whole engine, transmission, and header assembly moves or rocks as a unit. Sorry for the poor picture.

George, that's what I'm talking about. With a pair of the above stainless band clamps wrapped around the chrome mufflers, you could stick a plate between the transmission and trans mount to attach the cross bar. Like you said, the whole drivetrain and exhaust would move as a unit. The C4 trans in my project, has 3 holes on a flange under the tailshaft. With a plate coming out between the trans and trans mount, and tying into that flange area, I'd have 6 or 8 inches of fore and aft real estate to play with as far as mounting a cross bar to the exhaust.

I guess I need to get my project farther along and get this piece made so that someone has some better pictures of this type of setup, LOL.

Last edited:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back