Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

heim joint end play - should there be any?

Keeper

Okay I have put a few miles on the bucket and did a through once over this weekend. On my steering components I went with the "upgraded" Pro series 1 heim joints. Well all 4 of them have a bit of play in them.

Not a huge amount but I can move them and feel up and down movement in the joints. I could always put a gauge on it to see just how much is there. So what is acceptable for these joints? I did not think there was supposed to be any at all.

The weather up here has just turned to perfect cruising weather, but I would much rather be safe then sorry.

Okay I have put a few miles on the bucket and did a through once over this weekend. On my steering components I went with the "upgraded" Pro series 1 heim joints. Well all 4 of them have a bit of play in them.

Not a huge amount but I can move them and feel up and down movement in the joints. I could always put a gauge on it to see just how much is there. So what is acceptable for these joints? I did not think there was supposed to be any at all.

The weather up here has just turned to perfect cruising weather, but I would much rather be safe then sorry.

If you are referring to the spherical rod ends, there should not be any free play until they wear (which they will oveer time), but should not if they are new. Also, be sure that you have safety washers in place which can prevent a serious problem in the event that the joint fails. What kind of "movement are you referring to?

Absolutely, I have safety washers, nylocks, then I drilled the bolt for a cotter pin just to make sure the bolt could not fall out.

6 aug 2011 010.JPG_595.jpg

Axial play along axis line of the bolt, i would expect a small discernable amount, but any radial play (90deg to the bolt axis) that was discernable would make me go hmmmmm. The teflon bushed rod ends are "zero play", but I am not sure if they are suitable for a steering application. I applaud your caution.......................

Absolutely, I have safety washers, nylocks, then I drilled the bolt for a cotter pin just to make sure the bolt could not fall out.

6%20aug%202011%20010.JPG_595.jpg

Looks good. To WIld Mango's point, what type of play are you referring to? Is the sphere getting some play in the socket?

The play is up and down, almost like the ball is to small in the socket. Like I said, it is minimal, but I have only driven the thing about 20 miles!!

I bought the upgraded heims that were supposed to be rated for steering.....grrrrrrr

Anyone know a good US supplier of US made heims? I am sick of replacing things made on the other side of the globe............maybe I will check with fastenal.

The play is up and down, almost like the ball is to small in the socket. Like I said, it is minimal, but I have only driven the thing about 20 miles!!

I bought the upgraded heims that were supposed to be rated for steering.....grrrrrrr

Anyone know a good US supplier of US made heims? I am sick of replacing things made on the other side of the globe............maybe I will check with fastenal.
We quit using Fastenal, for that very reason. We were buying all of our bolts from them . Then we started buying large quantities from them, and the came in big boxes. Said made in "Twain". When I ask about it. the sales rep said most all of their stuff is made over there, but he could get USA made for about triple the price. They were already high, but they delivered. So we now get them else where. Made in USA for less than the Fastenal Twain stuff.

So much of this stuff is misrepresented, you don't know where it is made.

I seem to have lost a post!

Should I look at Teflon, Nylon or Steel for the bearing race? I would think steel but I know a lot of folks run Teflon.

Ron - I know and it pisses me off that companies are doing it and trying to slip it past most people.

I have completely stopped buying from companies for pulling such stunts. As for Fastenal, I make sure to ask where the stuff is made before I buy it. I will gladly spend a few more bucks for US/Canada products.

If I can find American made what ever the cost. No more china made stuff. After the last order from that big (company in Lincoln Neb) I sent them an email and said no more Chinese made junk.

The Midwest MXM series is a nylon race which is effectively self-lubricating and self-wiping for dirt. The 5/8's size has a static load rating of 19,750 lbs. It is one of several high strength series rod ends. If you hold the MXM-10 in your hand and compare it to the cheap ones; you will feel and see the difference. This is one area where it is not a good idea to try and save a few bucks. Buy only top quality, heavy duty components for your suspension. We've all seen pics of component failures on this site. I don't plan to add one sometime down the road.

The Midwest MXM series is a nylon race which is effectively self-lubricating and self-wiping for dirt. The 5/8's size has a static load rating of 19,750 lbs. It is one of several high strength series rod ends. If you hold the MXM-10 in your hand and compare it to the cheap ones; you will feel and see the difference. This is one area where it is not a good idea to try and save a few bucks. Buy only top quality, heavy duty components for your suspension. We've all seen pics of component failures on this site. I don't plan to add one sometime down the road.

Thanks. I was not sure about the nylon or teflon thats why I asked.

What sucks is I thought I was buying upgraded items, which as I look at the prices were more expensive then the ones you recommended.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back