Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

help finding a cowl?

jipp

hi guys, its almost cool enough to start my project.. drugged the Ibeam axle and springs from the shed to start wire brush/sand the surface rust off and clean them up.

after thinking about my needs.. im gonna have to build my body im gonna go ahead and use wood
since that's what i have the most experience with and a shop full of wood tools.
been using google looking at all the wood body car projects from the last 50 years..
looking at all the documentation i can for model T's etc.. which there is a crap load of drawings with dimensions on. at any rate, i want to use a cowl section probably fiberglass or metal my guess glass would be easier maybe..

not decided if i will go bucket it or roadster, i just know its gonna have
suicide doors, little longer than originals so i can get in and out of it with easy ith my bad leg
it only bends so many degrees.. and of course im six foot 4" so im gonna stretch the body some so it will fit two adult men with out feeling we are a sardean..

im confident i can make this look cool too.. will everyone like it, probably not
and im sure ill be told im doing it wrong, and im ready for all the negative cristisem since this is h ow and only way im gonna be able to build a hotrod.. besides i love pretty wood.. not sure what ill use for the body yet.. but something that i will enjoy looking at for hours. :)

so with that can you guys help me find a cowl section? i figure ill use a cowl, and whatever year cowl i get ill use the same year of a rad shell.. so i can call the car that year. hah right or wrong i dunno but its better than says its home made and the year is unknown. :D

thanks for your help.
chris.

i think one of you guys bought just the Fiberglas cowl section from a
company, dose anyone know of the company name? iv looked and all iv seen is whole bodys.
chris.

ill give them a email. hope to buy something next month. gonna mock up a 2x4 frame, and ill build the body onto that. once the body is done.. i can move forward. i do have things to do clean up the 40ish front axle assembly and find what parts i need for it.. clean up the 9" rear end.. grind off all the old brackets and crap for a fresh start. thank you for your help. i think that is the company the other guy who built a wood body, he called his a home deopt special or something.. thanks again :)
chris.

i contacted SPIRITS and they could not offer much help.
they said they do not sell cowls.. but he would ask his boss,

really wish some local to me had a body they did not mind giving up for a fair price. one thing iv notice fair is not really the golden started.. they are taking the baby boomers for ever penny they got@... ok, ill stop my rant.. and check ebay maybe ill get lucky and they will have a body pop up with in 50 miles of me.. the ones i do see show up which would be perfect for my project are like billion miles a away with pick up only. laughs. guess i better have another cup of coffee before i start getting into politics and... yeah coffee :D
chris.

but whateer, at this op

Check Craigs list in your local area. I have found several cowl sections there.

Ron

thanks for the heads up.. at this point i dunno what im gonna do... i cut the tip off my right index finger.
o well. shit happens.
chris.

I believe you would be happier with a steel cowl section rather than glass. The good glass bodies like Spirit are fine roadsters as a whole but the cowl section itself would be VERY flimsy especially when you started to graft things to it. You can still find quite a few Model A and Model T Cowls around as well as Dodge Bros etc. I myself found the cowl section to a '28 Chevy Roadster a few weeks ago in solid condition for a good price.

I have a couple of Steel cowls Ford T type and an odd ball one I picked up some time ago. I live in Phoenix and I am moving to TX soon so I might be persuaded to let one go.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back