Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Help with T Deck Lid

Igor

So here is the issue i am having .

I custom built a turtle deck for my T out of fiberglass . I cut the deck lid out and began to build the inside of the trunk. after some time went on i placed the cut out lid into the deck , and it was warped out of shape! it was on a flat surface and was left alone but now its not going to fit.

Idea #1 was to cut another one out of wood and glass it, and hope that the edges of the lid seal up properly .and pray it does not warp ...

or

Idea #2 cut a lid out of metal and slap it in there.
not knowing if anyone has tried this metal idea before ....but it seems like its a better option if it works.
but i do know metal and glass expand and contract at different temps, my fear is lid getting stuck in hot or cold weather . if this is even a valid fear .

any other ideas or feedback on this issue would be a great help !

It looks like you made drip rails in the opening [which is what I did] I made a perimeter frame out of 3/4" oak , about a 1/2" smaller than the drip rail , mortise & tenon joints in the corners [rack resistant ] & glassed that to the lid , has stayed straight/flat for 12 years..

dave

Put "T" nuts in the frame to attach the trunk hinges & latch to.

If your deck lid is warped why not affix it to a framework that makes it correct? You would then have a mounting point for your hinges. I have attached a picture of what my deck lid looks like. Perhaps it might help you.

Jim

I should have mentioned .....i built the lid framework and affixed it to the lid just like how 2old2fast said., but the warp is in the corners where there is no framework. like all 4 corners sunk down ....i should also mention that the lid itself is a bit thicker than exjunks lid . i dont know how it happened but its no fun .

Ex Junk ....Did you make the inner frame work for the drip rails? it looks like a real nice set up ! metal ......i am still not 2 happy with my drip rails as they are just glass and getting em perfect is time consuming !

When I made my drip rails , I made a slightly undersize male form & cover it w/ wide packing tape [like big scotch tape] then used that to make 4 sections , mitered the ends 7 glassed them to the opening & glassed oak 1x2 over the "flanges" of the rails , the top side came out pretty smooth that way....best I can offer is , build up the corners till the lids flat , then grind away the underside.... I know , alot of work !!!!

dave

Ex Junk ....Did you make the inner frame work for the drip rails? it looks like a real nice set up ! metal ......i am still not 2 happy with my drip rails as they are just glass and getting em perfect is time consuming !

Yes, I made the drip rails out of aluminum.

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back