Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Hey Mike, is there any reason you can't set up the forums so that...

Lee_in_KC

...our location is shown with our user name and avatar, whatever that box is called? We used to have it on the old forum set-up.

Yes, the information could be displayed in the postbit. But it comes with a cost in overhead, which means the topic pages would start loading slower. And since a click of your mouse will display a lot more information than just location and post count, without slowing the page load down at all...

If you move your mouse over my avatar and click on it, through the magic of AJAX, you can see my membercard -

membercard001.png

Yes, it does require a mouse click to display the card, but the option is to display that information in the postbit, for everyone, whether they want to see it or not. I think most members know I'm an auld git, I'm in Indiana and I post far too many messages, so there's little to be gained from inserting that information alongside each post I submit. When you start pulling in things like registration dates, post counts, likes received, etc., you start making database queries. If one person posts to a thread, you're only running those queries on one member, If there are twenty members who have posted to a page, then you're running those queries on all twenty. And those queries get run each time the page is loaded.

The membercard function is one of the reasons XenForo is running so much faster, with a lighter "feel".

And to get additional information displayed in the postbit requires editing the code in the template that displays the postbit (which is actually called the message_user_info template in XenForo). And since we have three available styles, it requires editing that template three times. Which means the next time we update to a new version of XenForo, it means all three of those templates have to be edited again. Back in the vBulletin days, I could update the forum in about 20 minutes, but it would take the rest of the day to wade through and re-apply all the template edits. In addition to being an auld git, I'm a lazy, auld git. :whistling:

There are a lot of unexplored and undiscovered functions in XenForo. I keep thinking I will get the time to explain some of them, one of these days. But I've stopped holding my breath, because there always seems to be a jillion other projects vying for my time.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back