Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How do you stay dry?

Looks like I'll be experiencing the wet first hand this weekend. We're leaving for a car show in Live Oak, FL in the morning. Its supposed to rain the whole weekend. My wife has already suggested that she follow me with her car but misery loves company and why burn extra fuel?

I was baptized a few times on the motorcycle.

I rode a motorcycle to work for a total of 3 years (2 hour round trip). Rain or shine, summer or winter. Stopped when I started to work nights. Too many deer and feral hogs get hit around here to be taking a chance on a bike. Came real close one year to running over an alligator when I was on the bike. That was more excitement than I care for.

Front heck ! The rears throw it in worse...

Now that's a bit weird, because my rears put out a cloud of mist but the fronts throw rooster tails 20 feet in the air.

In the ragtops, as long as I keep moving pretty good, no problem. Traffic creates an issue! I usually drive like a mad man to find a overpass or my garage! Ive been caught in rain storms so bad on the older bike that the points actually got wet inside the case. Game over, no getting dry now. That's not a good feeling to feel like a drowned rat while pushing or trying to work on your bike on the side of the road in the rain. No one even thinks about offering to help either. Frog togs in the saddle bags, along with a towel...

Honestly , in answer to the original ? , we ride , usually within 100 mile radius of home , we can tell you where every car wash , gas station canopy , empty barn ,good tree cover is within that radius , otherwise , you just get wet !!
dave

The faces of gauges are pretty well sealed , the back of the gauge where , if immersed, could do damage is behind/under the dash , don't see that as a problem. Most autoomotive upholstery is synthetic & dries very quickley , I'd guess mine gets more water when I scrub them than in rain..

The gauges I have so far (speedo & tach) seem to be pretty well sealed all the way around For the supplemental gauges, I'm planning on using one of the 3 gauge under dash panels. I have no clue how well they will be sealed. I guess I'm a bit paranoid due to having a couple of occurrences of moisture building up inside gauges and condensing inside the lenses. Also, my original plan was to use an early 60s Dodge truck gauge panel. It was obvious they had made no attempt to seal the gauges.

My concern with the automotive seats is less about the upholstery material, and more about the seams allowing moisture through to the foam underneath.

I have been caught in Louisiana thunderstorms. It is the waster on front side and backside if the windshield and the water on the front side and backside of your glasses that is dangerous. Around here the roads have grove 3 or 4 inches deep that fill up and make driving like being under Niagara falls.

I'll be using goggles over my glasses. Now I'm wondering how much problem I'll have with those.

Got to our destination. Its way too hot here in Florida to be driving an open car in the middle of the day. Crashed after we hit the motel. It was raining when we got up and you guessed it - I hadn't put the top up.

Well gents, I attended my first show for judging purposes.....Stayed even though the weather report was not in my favor because I thought I had a shot at placing. Well, bottom line I left, soaking wet from both heat and rain and received a dash plaque for the day......yeah, the one the first X number that register get. Over all it was a fun day. 2 old said it......the back tires throw in the water, I didn't think they would or realize how much. It was fun even though I was steering with one hand and trying to mop up my dash with the other as water ran in from the split windshield and no gasket between the body and windshield. Old round fart mentioned indoor outdoor carpet previously. I found some backless carpet, which is comparable to most automotive colors and look. It works good and those that have a trans tunnel, it easily shapes to it with no cutting, sewing etc.

We made it home from the car show. Stormed last night while I was sleeping per my wife. I slept thru it. At least I had put the top up. Got sunburned on he trip there so we left the top up on the trip home. I was praying for rain just to get out of the sun on the way there. It was my wife's first long trip in the car but she did okay. It gave me some perspective for my T build. It must have some type of top just to stay out of the sun and some more type of cargo space. Maybe a longer (30") pickup bed or just pull a motorcycle trailer.

I had a friend of mine traveled in a T and had a steamer trunk trailer with 18" Halibrand wheels. I have a steel trunk about the same size to do the same thing I hope.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back