Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How much is too much?

Spanky

Staff member
Most T-bucketeers are Horsepower junkies. I admit it. But . . . given the nature of these little cars, can you have too much HP? Financial constraints kept me from installing a 'Godzilla' engine in mine, but I find that even my mild Chevy 350 - which puts out a little over 300 HP (I'm guessing) seems more than plenty to get me in trouble if I abuse it. While I admit that the huge blowers and fuel injection setups are eye candy (and produce a certain amount of envy on my part :rolleyes:) is it better to have a more tame engine in a T-bucket to achieve a balance and drivability that the monster motors don't provide. Your thoughts . . .

Attachments

• 6 Engine.jpg
    6 Engine.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 27
As has been said in the past, there is never enough HP, but there is also never enough traction..........LOL.............My very small 289 ci. Ford in my Bucket will get me in trouble if I let it and it still gets to the speed limit plenty quick....

I have to admit my first t had a blown 350 and the acceleration was unbelievable! It was fun to get to the expressway speed limit in less than 100’! I could stop on the entry ramp and start when a car got next to me and they would not pass me. Shook up a lot of people!

Spanky,
This is a timely and welcome topic, at least for me.
I have been a drag racer since I got my license. It is hard, thence, to decide upon means of propulsion. I started off with Fords, but within the year, I went to the dark side. I've been running Chevys ever since. I've never looked back longingly and I have lovingly sworn my allegiance thusly!

I currently have a 65 Corvette funny car and a 2002 Camaro funny car. My point being, I have done the big horsepower to death! I'm having to fight myself to not go the same path on my newly acquired T-Bucket.

I think that I'd like to do something different. While I absolutely love the power production of the big and small block Chevys, I also love seeing different engines. I'm thinking therefore, of running something different.

I'm thinking that I might like to do something sort of period correct from a time gone by. From a time when hot rodding t-buckets was at its height. Or, at least the height of its popularity in my imagination.

I'm thinking specifically of a simple, not to flashy look. Black steelies, polished lug nuts, and perhaps a Olds quad four engine. (I like the look and I imagine power production would be sufficient, as I would like to drive it often!

I apologize for the long post. I do actually have more to say on the subject but I don't really want to hijack your thread.

Great subject - Having built my fourth BUCKET, I have gone from highly modified to alnost stock - At 80 years old I much prefer an almost stock, smooth engine - Even stock they have more power than traction, as already mentioned - Being able to turn the key and not having to change plugs, reset valves, change timing and then adjusting carbs, has been nice - As Spanky mentioned, I look at big beautiful high horepower motors with some envy, but still prefer the mostly stock in my own build - To each his own

I think power production and something lightweight like this would be adequate. I like the way that it looks like an old Offenhauser. That was a technician at GM for several years and they are actually pretty decent Little engines. They had a period when they first came out of head bolt problems but that was solved.

Well, mine has a built ‘67 427 bbc with tunnel and dual carbs, so that’s, my opinion. With that said, it’s not the cubes or hp that matters to me, I like the nostalgia. If it was a modern 454 or vortex, ls, 350, etc, I wouldn’t have been attracted to it. I have several specific engines from way back that I have had in several builds, that I like... to me, the beauty of building your car is the option of choosing your pieces. I’m not in any way knocking a sbc, sbf, etc... they are all fine choices. I have a 283, 327, 289 hipo, etc in my collection along with Pontiac, Buick stuff. I really like flat heads too, not for power, just because. My car isn’t intended to be a daily driver, but I get the nice factor of having a mild, stock, reliable engine. I prefer manual transmission as well, so easy or lazy isn’t my style. I like the raw mechanical feel. Whatever makes your blood pulse is the right choice!

Don't get me wrong, I admire them all. I'm just looking for something a little different. Flat head, nail head, straight 8, 6 or even four. Just different than what I've normally done. That isn't to say that I don't enjoy seeing a really flashy powerhouse! I drool every time that I do!

Don't get me wrong, I admire them all. I'm just looking for something a little different. Flat head, nail head, straight 8, 6 or even four. Just different than what I've normally done. That isn't to say that I don't enjoy seeing a really flashy powerhouse! I drool every time that I do!
I don't mean different from what anyone else has done! I mean just different than what I would normally do. I love looking at all you guys engines in these little t-buckets, I admire them all!

Build what you want but if you spin the tires all the HP in the world is up in smoke.
JMTCW--- build a car that will be.comfortable , safe and ENJOYABLE. It doesn't have to be a speed demon or a showcar.
Enjoy it with your spouse or family, you'll appreciate it more, I promise you.😊

I have a 350 370hp out of a 70’s corvette. I’m now in the process of putting on a hand polished (by me) a Weiand tunnelram with 2-450 Holly carbs. This is more for looks only. That bar is set so high with blowers etc so draw the line where you’re comfortable….i am.

You're right! That's why he doesn't do much cruising in that one. It belongs to talented St Louis car-builder, Butch Reeves. Here are some of his other builds . . .

Attachments

• car 11.jpg
    car 11.jpg
    733.4 KB · Views: 12
  • download_20140917_174342.jpeg
    download_20140917_174342.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1021.JPG
    IMG_1021.JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1325.JPG
    IMG_1325.JPG
    293.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 1325.jpeg
    1325.jpeg
    657.8 KB · Views: 13

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back