Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

How much room? Does this look right?

2xcrash

So since I scrap the Cadillac and going to the small block Chevy the mounts I have right now leave me with this see picture below. Does this look okay how much room do most guys have between the far wall in the distributor cap. By going with the cradle motormouth I won't have to cut anything up on the frame

Let me have your opinions

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 167
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 164
So since I scrap the Cadillac and going to the small block Chevy the mounts I have right now leave me with this see picture below. Does this look okay how much room do most guys have between the far wall in the distributor cap. By going with the cradle motormouth I won't have to cut anything up on the frame

Let me have your opinions
You have more room than mine. My fire wall is about 1 inch behind the block/bell housing seam and I don't have room for a HEI distributor, I have to use a small cap type, but you can move it wherever it works the best, That's the beauty about building your car. As long as everything functions and looks good to YOU, it's just how it belongs.

I'm using a HEI distributer and I have 1.75" between the back of the cap and the firewall.

With FORD 302 in a FORD car I have 18" between distributor cap and fire wall.....lots of room.
I like that now, but back in the day the rear distributor was better because it was less prone to getting wet. Not so much with electronics. The rear distributor is difficult to work with in tight areas, that is a fact! Especially with a tunnel ram or blower.

I once had a Chevy Malibu with a six and HEI ignition. When that got wet the engine would stop running. On a damp day I'd have to dry the ignition wires in order to start it. Sparks would be flying all over the place. The HEI was good but the old time standard ignition wires could not handle the voltage. Things are different now. Today's wires can handle much more voltage than they could back in the 70's.

My car has 9 inches from the firewall to the back of the engine block, but mine is a little different than most, though.

How much room do you want? How much room do you have on your tran. mounts? (front and rear) Can you flip the engine saddle so the mounting bolts are in front? It doesn't look too bad now, but it is at the visual limit, to me.

I have almost no clearance. Chevy 350 with HEI. I have the long water pump. Pretty tight fit.

Attachments

• Rear Eng Clearance.jpeg
    Rear Eng Clearance.jpeg
    292.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Front Engine Clerance.jpeg
    Front Engine Clerance.jpeg
    323.3 KB · Views: 101
How much room do you want? How much room do you have on your tran. mounts? (front and rear) Can you flip the engine saddle so the mounting bolts are in front? It doesn't look too bad now, but it is at the visual limit, to me.
I'm going to have to recut and reweld both mounts. The caddy mounts are offset by about an inch so the chevy would be crooked.
I've got my headers comming in next week so the only other issue I have pushing the motor back is the steering mount. It barley covered the caddy. So I'll move it back as far as I can

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back