Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

I find this both amazing and tiresome

Did I mention the raise I got from Purdue, this past year? Yes sir, my hourly wage virtually exploded by an additional 14¢ per hour. And no, that is not a typo. One dime and four pennies, per hour. After taxes, that will almost cover half the rent increase on that storage unit. <SIGH>

My madame worked for 30 years at a Ford Dealership. Before she retired, she asked for a raise and told them she would like to make $10.00 per hour. They gave her $00.25 an hour raise, which now brought the total to a whopping $9.75 hour. It put her in another tax bracket and she brought home $10.00 LESS per pay check. She gave her resignation date and they moved it up by 2 weeks. The new girl they hired started out at $15.00 an hour. Talk about IRONY for older folks who want and need to work and have the skills to do their jobs better than the X or Y generations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Did I mention the raise I got from Purdue, this past year? Yes sir, my hourly wage virtually exploded by an additional 14¢ per hour. And no, that is not a typo. One dime and four pennies, per hour. After taxes, that will almost cover half the rent increase on that storage unit. <SIGH>

My madame worked for 30 years at a Ford Dealership. Before she retired, she asked for a raise and told them she would like to make $10.00 per hour. They gave her $00.25 an hour raise, which now brought the total to a whopping $9.75 hour. It put her in another tax bracket and she brought home $10.00 LESS per pay check. She gave her resignation date and they moved it up by 2 weeks. The new girl they hired started out at $15.00 an hour. Talk about IRONY for older folks who want and need to work and have the skills to do their jobs better than the X or Y generations.
When I started in the workforce, The older people were the bosses and leaders and knew what was going on and made the money. As I worked I learned and earned as I went, but never got to that point. I did the work, bore the responsibility, but the pay somehow evaded me (chasing the carrot). Now it seems the role is reversed and older people are viewed as liabilities. I fault our insurance policies, education system, and coin counters...It seems they value young healthy workers who won't use the health insurance and learned about how things are supposed to work than people who know how to make it work and overcome issues by experience. We got screwed in the mean time, and financed the mess with fica and the like and the money that we paid forward for now was spent on others who didn't work. Now there aren't many places that even have retirement pensions or the like and if you end up on social insecurity, they pay you just enough to not qualify for any assistance, so you end up living penny less and at the mercy of friends and family (I have elderly parents). That is one reason I was self employed for a large portion of my life and now own investment property. It isn't fair or even logical though. The new girl possibly peeked someones interest? (I'm being as politically correct as my sarcasm will allow) Or a friend or relative...There is definitely bias against older workers but we don't have any flamboyant "civil rights" speakers??? The real joke is on those younger workers because the future looks pretty bleak if you visualize the future with no health insurance or retirement, immigration and inflation...The American dream is still alive as long as you weren't born in America! I am worried for my kids. Oh, we aren't out of it yet...we now have to provide health insurance for our kids until they are 26 or pay a penalty! Help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back