Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

I know where I went wrong and need advise

s19243h

i have a 305 chevy in my bucket with a b&m 2400 hole shot converter , jeggs 350 turbo 2:78 rear gears 31' tall tires the problem is ,the converter is not loose enough to stall .i think my problem is the cams a little to big i have an extreme energy 268 cam dura.224-230 lift 477-480 ls 110beings its a 305 it dont have enough compression for that size cam i feel if i go to a smaller cam ill loosing up the converter that cam would be great in a 350 ,what size cam you think i should run in a 305?

Well.....hahaha.....its not that the cam is TOO big, its the little 305 motor. And pulling agianst those TALL GEARS AND TIRES at a low rpm.....
The cam isn't bad.....its not a racing cam or a bracket cam by any means. Get a set of Rhoads lifters or equivelant for your motor. This will allow your motor to make more lowend and allow it to run in the upper rpms as well as a 305 can.
As far as your converter, yes, it wouldn't hurt to have gone a little looser.
WHAT EXACTLY ARE YOU WANTING TO DO WITH YOUR CAR??????

If it were me, and I had the car, and I didn't want to spend alot of money, change out your lifters, put you some 3.55's or if your gonna go up on your tire sizes later, go to 3.73's in the rear. The lifters are fairly cheap and not hard to install. They bleed down at low engine speeds, and pump up at higher, allowing you to 'cheat' with your cam.
The gears are gonna be like night and day! 3.55's will help alot with your performance, and 3.73 will allow you to lay down some rubber from a redlight. 4.11's will allow you to smoke them without any trouble.
A cheap alternative to your converter problem, if after these, you want to change, go get yourself a Vega Converter. I'll live a while behind the 305, give you more stall speed and won't be as tight.
Then, if you like the Vega unit, go get a super holeshot when it plays out.....

BUT ALWAYS REMEMBER! WHEN A CONVERTER GOES OUT, JUST DON'T REPLACE IT, HAVE THE WHOLE TRANSMISSION FLUSHED OUT. AND IF YOUR TRANS GOES OUT, DON'T JUST HAVE THAT OLD CONVERTER THROWN IN THERE.....HAVE IT FLUSHED OUT! tHE GRIT AND CRAP THAT CAUSED THE TRANS TO FAIL WILL BE LOADING INTO THE CONVERTER JUST WAITING TO CHEW UP A NEW TRANS OR VICE-VERSA!!!!!!

Thanks for the info ill get a set of rhoades lifters to start and yes i want to be able to smoke the tires when i want ! right now i cant even do a line lock without sliding the front tires

I agree with Screaming Metal...3.73 gears will do wonders with the smallish 305. I have a 302 with 3.73's, 272 dur cam, and 2800 stall and it has plenty of pep...

you can see i been pondering this for a while i have a post called gears on the site i was thinking 3:55 to 3:73

I'd go for more gear. A 3:73 for the highway or a 4:10 for red light to red light performance. If you really want to get carried away a 4:56 gear and change to a 700r4 trans. The 700 has a much lower first gear and then an overdrive with a lock up.

Don't pay any attention to that warning status thingie, believe that has to do with the amount of emails you get in......
Yea, the 305 is pretty anemic, so-to-speak. It has small valves, small bore, heads have a tendency to crack, bigtime! Other than that, its a SBChevy, which, in itself, isn't bad.
Try the lifters, they're not much at all, then try the gears, if you need some converter, go pick up a new Vega unit at O'reillys or Autozone for about 100 bucks. Like I said, it'll last a while behind the smallish 305.

I've never looked up the #'s on the 305, but when new, I don't think they put out more than about 185 to 225 horses with a big tailwind! hahaha.....this can be helped with a little 500 to 525 cfm carb with vacuum secondaries and a aluminum intake. Of course, you got the headers going for ya, with that cam, and the timing anywhere near right.....you out to have a good, dependable 245 to 270 horses on tap.
With the 3.73's, you'll be liking it a whole lot better! Be like a whole new car! 3.55's with that tall a tire.....it'll be peppier quite a bit, but you aren't be causing any big black marks at any redlights.....you'll need 3.73's!
And/ Or a good set of heads.

Next motor you decide out build or get.....get yourself a 350.....same money, alot more performance potental for the same amount of money expended. Its easy to build a 500 horse smallblack for under 3 bills......

You can make 500 horses on a budget of about $1250 with a 350...... but it won't last long. I did one for a family member, ran it on the dyno for the #'s, it was 508.9 horses.....but you have to shop around for the correct parts. They can be found on line.....alot of it like intake and carb, roller rockers and rollerlifters can be bought used from racers getting ready to build a new motor.....

I'd go for more gear. A 3:73 for the highway or a 4:10 for red light to red light performance. If you really want to get carried away a 4:56 gear and change to a 700r4 trans. The 700 has a much lower first gear and then an overdrive with a lock up.

Good point!!!!

I would also, do the gear first. You will love what a set of gears can do for you and then you can swap the lifters if needed.
Be sure to throw in some ZDDP with the lifter swap.

What size header tube are you running?? That engine needs 1 1/2" ID at the largest, 13/8" even better, that will bring up the bottom end torque a bunch... A light car does not need low gears to be real quick... I used to love racing guys with low gears, with my 2.73 final rear gear, they never knew what hit them. And, I never squeak a tire, except when it shifts out of low gear...

Yea Ted, But you didn't have a anemic little low compression 305 ex-smogger up front either. Though You and I know alot of motor pulling against some really tall gears make for a quick ride.
Besides, there are very few TED BROWNs out there that are capable setting up cars the way you did! Your a GURU on that stuff!!!! Hahaha!

The warn status will start turning red in increments if you make the powers that run the site mad or post something that shouldn't be posted.

Duh.....and I thought it meant something to repies , mailbox wise! :wacky: That goes to show ya how computer literate I am!!!!!! :yuk:

I second the Roades lifter thing also better gears will help but as usual there is no substitute for more cubes and yes even Condition Hopeless Entire Vehicle Relies On Leftover Engine Technology engines are helped by more cubic inches.

But then again I am getting ready to run a small engine in mine as well I just got home with a 331 Fire Dome Hemi I have a four speed but I am looking for an adapter for it.

I second the Roades lifter thing also better gears will help but as usual there is no substitute for more cubes and yes even Condition Hopeless Entire Vehicle Relies On Leftover Engine Technology engines are helped by more cubic inches.

But then again I am getting ready to run a small engine in mine as well I just got home with a 331 Fire Dome Hemi I have a four speed but I am looking for an adapter for it.

Check out Advanced or Kennedy. If they can't get you one, I have a buddy over on the HAMB board thats got one. I usually make my own.....more fun that way. Have one of the yung-ens throw a chuck of alum. up in the mill....... When it breaks I don't have no-one to blame but myself!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back