Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Influences???

Tbucit

After reading Mystic's thread and seeing where David mention working for Jim Kirby in his early days. Got me remembering one of my early jobs that had a huge impact on how I work and what I think i can do.
Here in the south the name John Reed was known for his camshafts, but when I started working there in 71 I found him to be an unbeliveable individual that in my opinion could do anything and do it with the best attitude of anybody I know. There is not a week that goes by that some tidbit doesn't reminds me of those days. The other person for me is a guy named Dennis Wilson again his knowlege and attitude was unreal. Both these guys had no problem showing me anything they knew and I hope that I can pass some of that on one day.
What about the rest you? Who were your influeances?

Randall

In '73 I was looking for someone to TIG a frame together for me. Through a member of the MSRA I was introduced to Chuck DuPaul. He was a pipe fitter in St. paul, Mn. that built rods in a car and a half garage in his back yard. After hanging around and basicly making myself a pest he agreed to take on my frame. Two months later I rolled my '27 outside and flat towed it 45 miles home.

As Tbucit said, " there isn't a day that I working in my shop that I don't think, "Man, Chuck would like the way you did that!" Thanks Chuck for the inspiration and friendship for the past 35 years.

Go to my Gallery and look at 'my first '27'. That,s it.

Ron

Just a couple of shots I found of Jim:

His race car (or I think it is, it was before my time) -
kirby1.jpg

His T-Bucket project -
kirby2.jpg

Anyone who has pictures of Jim Kirby or his cars, please forward them to me. I would like to start a collection.

Take care all!

David

I've got that same magazine with Kirby's T on the front. Cool car.

As for influences, like a lot of you I grew up watching 77 Sunset Strip with my eyes glued to the 12 inch screen, hoping to see a glimpse of Norms hot rod that week. I think that car excited me more than that cute girl who sat across from me in English Class. :eek: (well, ALMOST more :lol:)

Since I was only like 12-13 at the time, most of the older guys with hot rods wouldn't give me the time of day........it wasn't cool to talk to a "kid." But there was one local hot rodder named John Holbrook who was different. He never minded us pain in the butt kids hanging around his garage. He was probably in his 30's and married with kids, but he had quite a few cool cars. He had a big old '35 Caddy touring car, a '34 Ford Pickup daily driver, and a few more. But our favorite out of the bunch was his red '32 Ford roadster. It was chopped and channeled, fenderless, but with motorcycle fenders to be legal in Pennsylvania. At first it had a dressed flathead with a couple of carbs, but later on he swapped a 265 Chevy into it with two fours.

John was a machinist by trade, and his workmanship was the best I have ever seen. His car was pure '50's and even sported a three speed on the column shifter. I remember riding my bike to his house with my Buddies and he would always take the time to talk with us like we were really adults. Just a super nice guy who taught us all a lot of good lessons about cars and how to be good people.

I often wondered what happened to John, I imagine he is either very old or no longer with us (that was in 1957 or so), but I hope his Sons kept the roadster and drive it regularly. :):)

Don

Theres a John Holbrook in north fort myers.

Track-T said:
Theres a John Holbrook in north fort myers.

Really??? Wouldn't that be strange if he retired and moved to Florida, right in my backyard!! I'll have to call information and get a phone number and check it out. Thanks for the heads up. :lol::)

Don

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back