Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Introducing the T-Bagger

These are the 2 best pics of my modified rear spring set-up;

TKO003Small-1.jpg

TKO003Small-2.jpg

When you make the mount just raise the portion that is above the shackle tube leaving the shackle enoungh room to swing back and forth. Don't forget a gusset from the mount to the axle housing.

Ron

I think I know what went wrong. Looks like I welded the mounts on upside down. If I flip them, there should be enough room for the spring to travel.

That was my first thought but I have seen guys do this before thinking they would get the rear of the car lower this way.

As a side note, about that '40 front end, here's a front end I set up on my bucket in '68.

First2775Small7.jpg

I have used this on several T's and a couple of A's over the years. It still looks as good today as it did back then.

Ron

Yeah, I just missed it. Glad you noticed though. If I flip them, what do you think that will do to the stance ?

I don't think there is anything wrong with the 40 axle, but I do prefer the A axle. Especially when it's a dropped and drilled axle off some old hotrod.

Well, moving on. Next challenge was the pedals. I had the pedal assembly from the 40, but the clutch pedal hit the x member.
P1180614.jpg
pretty simple solution. Cut out a new top plate.
P1180625.jpg
Modify the x member.
P1180628.jpg
Weld it all together, with a gusset underneath, and just like that clutch pedal works.
P1180635.jpg
P1180636.jpg

After all that was done, I really wanted to put it all together and see what I had going on.
P1220659.jpg
P1220660.jpg
I was pretty excited to get it to this point. Still a long way to go, but this is starting to look like something. It still needs a couple brackets. I still haven't quite decided what to do about shocks. What did you guys do back in the day for shocks ? I have all the lever action shocks from the 40, they work, but they are pretty crusty. And steering still needs to be dealt with. I'm planning to use the column and box from the 51 Olds with a traditional setup. Before I can start on that however I need to get a body on it. So I still have the 27 Coupe, but in the summer I picked up a glass 27 roadster body really cheap. Story that came with it said it was used as an altered drag car in the late 60's. The problem with it is somebody cut the cowl off of it somewhere along the way. It looks like a pretty virgin body. It has never been painted, still has marks on it from the mold it was made in. I'm pretty sure it's an old Cal Automotive body. It has a card glassed into it, looks like it says cal, but it's hard to read. Well I decided I like the roadster better. The coupe is out. Now how do I deal with this no cowl thing ? I had the cowl from a roadster pickup. It's a little rough, but I think we can make this work.
P1290687.jpg
P1290689.jpg
And that's where I'm at. I'm going to continue getting the body together and mounted. I will post pics of my progress.
Stay tuned, and wish me luck.

Your build is coming along nicely. Take a look at a '36 rear spring hanger. I bet if you copy that shape you will have very nearly the stance you have now. On the front of a traditional car I have used a '49 Plymouth shock with a shackle plate made with an extra hole for a shock stud. The ol' tried and true "48 type frame mount works with this. You might have to reshape it a bit but it's a forging so that's no problem.

A suggestion on your body. These bodies are pretty flimsy 'cause they where made for drag cars. I would cut a floor from 3/4" plywood and glass that in first. That should stablize the shape and give you a solid foundation for rebuilding the cowl. At the front of the door flange, make up a bulkhead and glass that in place. Next take what you have of the cowl and make a flange to bolt it to the bulkhead. In my mind the '26-7 body gets some of it's uniqueness from the firewall. I would look for one and weld the cowl pannels to it. At this point all you need to do is fill the gaps with metal. the missing gas tank door can be found on ebay usually for around $20. They leak anyway so just stud one and bolt it in place.

I'm impressed with your shop. What was it before your club got it? Have the guy with the other '27 join so we can see what he's doin' too.

Ron

Thanks Ron. I'm gonna fix up that rear end this week hopefully. I have a plan to attach the cowl, but haven't quite got the details together yet. I do have the firewall for it as well. I was thinking a solid subframe should stiffen up the body some. I've been looking for the gas tank door a little, but I may just fill it in smooth. Undecided...

The shop we work in is a place of business run by one of the club members. He builds these things for a living. The other 27 in the back belongs to a customer. It has almost the identical chassis as mine, but with a stock driveline.The '39 pickup is a customer vehicle. The T-bird in the back is a club car. we chopped it about 6". You can see the back end of a '51 Chevy custom we're working on, and the flathead powered Model A roadster is a club car as well. It's a great place to work. All the tools you could ever need. Tig welder, lots of metal shaping tools. Louver press. We are setting up a machine shop in the back with a lathe and milling machine. We can make just about anything there.

OK, this is just ol stiff hipped me talking, but I would keep the steel doors and just use the glass where no steel exists.

I had considered that as well, but the doors don't belong to me. I also think the body is so lightweight I'm cautious about cutting more of it away.

It's easy enough to reinforce the dorr area. You will need to do some glass work anyway. If nothing else maybe just the passenger side. I know how thin the Cal Auto bodies are. Just finished rebuilding a CA body that was first done in the mid '60's about a year ago.

19project002Small.jpg

Ron

So here is my plan for the cowl. I've cut it so it slips right over what's left of the glass cowl. Interestingly the glass body is about 1 1/2" wider than the steel body, so I split the steel cowl in half. I will use the factory holes for the dash to secure it along that edge. I will use the windsheild stanchion holes for 6 more mounting points. Then I'll weld 3 or 4 threaded studs down each side of the cowl where it meets the doors. I have the original brace from the steel cowl which fits perfectly inside,drill matching holes in the glass cowl, and just bolt it all together. I'll use the original firewall, although I will most likely have to cut most of it away. Then I'll build a subframe for the whole works to tie it all together.

Forgot to mention I was planning to use fender welting along the edge of the steel cowl to clean it up and give it a factory look.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back