Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Is a 5-6 inch cowl stretch worth it?

Keeper

Okay after setting up my steering, I have come to realize just how tight things are in there. So I started thinking.

I have the room on the frame to move things forward about 5-6 inches without major modifications. Really only thing I will have to do is move the motor mounts forward and make a new trans mount cross member.

Then would come the fun part of cutting/stretching the cowl. But I have a ton of glass work that will need to be done anyway.

I figure now is a better time to do it, then 6 months after the build is done.

So whats the opinion? Stretch or no stretch?

Okay after setting up my steering, I have come to realize just how tight things are in there. So I started thinking.

I have the room on the frame to move things forward about 5-6 inches without major modifications. Really only thing I will have to do is move the motor mounts forward and make a new trans mount cross member.

Then would come the fun part of cutting/stretching the cowl. But I have a ton of glass work that will need to be done anyway.

I figure now is a better time to do it, then 6 months after the build is done.

So whats the opinion? Stretch or no stretch?
In a word, stretch. I am only 5'10" and I like my car's stretched body much better than my wife's car's regular length body.

Jeff

It's easy to see where a strech would be desirable. Myself I don't care for them. To me it throws the porportions out the window. I would rather play around with the seat hieght to find that comfort zone. Keeping the back cushion thin at the top and a little more padding at the bottom helps too.

Ron

5" to 6" would be a bit much in my opinion. The body that we built is only stretched 4" and I am 6'- 1 1/2" tall and I fit quite comfortably. I also made the cowl stretch look like a '26-'27 T cowl. Check the picture below. Since it is registered as a '25 T I like to say that it is a prototype that never was produced.

IMG_2715.jpg

Like what was said in an earlier post, keep your seat back thin and your seat bottom thin and you'll have plenty of room. Here is a pic of the interior.

IMG_0818.jpg

Jim

Well 5-6 is the limit of the room I have to work with.

I am only 5'11" but I am all arms and legs.

I will play around some more this weekend, I was wearing some pretty heavy work boots so that made things even tighter. Maybe I will try it with some regular shoes on.

As for the seats, I like to sit low, so I had 1.5 inches off the floor at the back, 3 inches at the front of the seat, seat back was 2 inches at the bottom, about 1 inch at the top. Of course this was all wood without and foam.

Maybe I will bump the bottom up an inch or so see if it makes a difference.

Okay now I feel like an idiot.

After looking at EX Junks interior, I went out in the garage, got out some more "seats", I am using cut 2x6 pieces to form my seats while I am trying to figure out a seating arrangement.

Instead of trying to sit so low, I added a couple more blocks to raise me up about 3 inches off the floor in the back and 4.5 in the front. Made a huge difference, now I can sit comfortably without my knees banging the steering.

huh...who would have thought.

Hi Keeper,

What you've described is a lot of work, however in reading your post I can see you don't regard it as a monumental task. Go for it! Or as my flight instructor told me decades ago...... Fly the Big Ones.

This is another reason to leave mounting your steering box and column until you have your seats and pedals in and comfortable for you to drive in that position, now position the steering wheel exactly where it is needed, and have someone else hold the box, and make a pattern to mount it in the perfect place ... :)

But I was following YOUR PLANS!!! :D

After playing with the seats some more, I do not need to stretch it to feel comfortable. I was trying to keep the seat to low so it was pushing my knees into the steering column. Once I figured out that if I added a bit more height to the base of the seat I would not bang my knees all the time, I fit right in.

So in the end, I raised the base of the seat 3.5 inches off the floor and I fit nice and comfy.

I did relocate the steering box about 1/2inch closer to the body, this was more to give me some better header clearance than anything, but it still helped on the inside.

But I was following YOUR PLANS!!! :D

After playing with the seats some more, I do not need to stretch it to feel comfortable. I was trying to keep the seat to low so it was pushing my knees into the steering column. Once I figured out that if I added a bit more height to the base of the seat I would not bang my knees all the time, I fit right in.

So in the end, I raised the base of the seat 3.5 inches off the floor and I fit nice and comfy.

I did relocate the steering box about 1/2inch closer to the body, this was more to give me some better header clearance than anything, but it still helped on the inside.

Well they were my plans years and several chassis ago... Plus the fact that every person fits these cars differently, SO; One kit to "fit all" just does not cut it, you have to figure out just what YOU need, and make changes to the plans to make it fit you, and only you... Sorry, but that info should also be in the plan sets... :)

When I built my bucket, I bought a stretched body from CCR. Some other place in MD I found out also sold them. My CCR body was great, very strong, needed no reinforcement, and I drive with my legs almost stretched right out. I'm 5'11" and have been in buckets I couldn't move my foot from the gas to the brake without damaging cartilage in my knee!

Frank

I personally like the stretch in the body behind the door myself. look at Putz pics

Cut right behind the door outline.4 inch stretch
tbucketbuild001.jpg

bodystretch002.jpg

In China, there are certain doctors, who, for the right price, will perform leg shortening operations. Of course you have to travel and then there is the famous Chinese "quality" to contend with. Try to go to a place that changes the sheets on the bed at least once a month (bloody or not).

John

In China, there are certain doctors, who, for the right price, will perform leg shortening operations. Of course you have to travel and then there is the famous Chinese "quality" to contend with. Try to go to a place that changes the sheets on the bed at least once a month (bloody or not).

John

Now theres a TRUE hot rodder. Dont let a thing like long legs get in the way of a good lookin ride
Gery

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back