Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Jag Shocks

jimmyj

Anyone know where to buy coil over shocks for a Jag rearend that are reasonably affordable, XKS wants $1000.oo for a set of 4? I have Early-type IRS, 3.8 E-Type Series I.

Could you post a pic from the rear of your T? There are several possibile explanations for your camber to be out that far, and a pic might help us diagnose.

RPM also sells them. Check with Ron

Ron

Could you post a pic from the rear of your T? There are several possibile explanations for your camber to be out that far, and a pic might help us diagnose.
Will do, do you know about the correct size of photos you can post?

Will do, do you know about the correct size of photos you can post?
You can upload to Photobucket or Flickr, then link to the photo using the "Insert/edit image" button in the "Post Reply" window. The photo will automatically be resized to fit in the post.

Here are Jimmy's pix.

Rearend.jpg

Rearside.jpg

Well right off, I'd say you either have an E-type rear end or your lower control arms (LCAs) and half shafts have been shortened. Can you tell if the LCAs and half shafts have been cut and welded back together? If so, I'd say they didn't get the lengths exactly right and your geometry is messed up.

Another thought is that the Jag is designed so that at ride height the half shafts are parallel to the ground. The inner and outer pivot points of the half shafts are closer together that those of the LCAs, so they swing in a shorter arc. So if you set up the camber so that it straight up and down at ride height, the tops of the tires are going to be pulled in as the wheels moves above and below ride height. I have a diagram somewhere on my computer that illustrates this. I'll have to look for it.

Here is the back of mine. You can see my half shafts incline slightly down as the car sits. With me in it and a full tank of fuel the half shafts are dead parallel with the ground and I have just a slight bit of inward camber at the top of the tires. The camber increases to about an inch when the car is jacked up with the tires off the ground.

Rearspacing003.jpg

Another issue I see is it looks like you have nylocks on the studs for the inboard end of the half shaft. The heat from the brake rotors is going to melt those nylocks, if they haven't already. You're supposed to use mechanically locking nuts on those studs... the kind that are necked down at the outboard end. I stripped two studs with those stupid nuts, so I switched to normal nuts with split washers. I check them for tightness before every cruise, and they have never come loose. You can see the nuts and washers in the following pic. You can also see that I had to use six .030 shims to get my camber right. I can't tell how many shims you have from your pix, but if you get rid of the nylocks, you will have another 1/8" or 3/16" of stud threads to use, and you could add a couple more shims.

051808008.jpg

Lee in the first pic it looks like the upper shock mounts are different length from the frame, looks like the left rear is a shorter. That would level it out but it still needs the half shaft adjustments done.

Another issue I see is it looks like you have nylocks on the studs for the inboard end of the half shaft. The heat from the brake rotors is going to melt those nylocks, if they haven't already. You're supposed to use mechanically locking nuts on those studs... the kind that are necked down at the outboard end. I stripped two studs with those stupid nuts, so I switched to normal nuts with split washers. I check them for tightness before every cruise, and they have never come loose. You can see the nuts and washers in the following pic. You can also see that I had to use six .030 shims to get my camber right. I can't tell how many shims you have from your pix, but if you get rid of the nylocks, you will have another 1/8" or 3/16" of stud threads to use, and you could add a couple more shims.

051808008.jpg
Yes it is an E-type 3.8 series 1, this has set in a barn for over 25 years, so
everything was rusted. I have it all about done, but the leaning tire was giving me a fit.
I will change the nylocks that were already on, also the right shock mount is a 1/2" longer. I have measured everything else and it all checks out.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back