Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

just another desert rat howdy!

jipp

hello, my name is chris. im living in Arizona right now. im 36 and disabled.. ( motorcycle accident, had to crawl for two days with compound fracture to left distal femur.. drag my self mile and half for help.. 2 years to learn to walk again, fake knee 2004.. chronic pain patient now.. thats short story) im found this forum through a hamb thread..
anyhow, been looking around, seems like a lot of great information and friendly too.. friendly and public forum in same sentence.. run.. laughs.

i plan on building a tbucket or building my own bucket body, all i know for sure im six foot 4
and if i go with a fiberglass body im gonna have to learn to stretch it, if i build my own from metal
ill have to beat metal.. been reading a lot on both and think i can do either or will come down to price etc and im on disability so a budget build yupp.. i bought the build a tbucket for 3000.00 ebook. and also the DVD he sells.. great info there have read the book twice :) .. i will not being doing anything till winter.. as its just to hot here in the desert.. what i can tell you i have always wanted a Tbucket
since I first saw one about 15.. im 36 now. since iv always wanted one i have collected a couple of parts over the years.. i have a front I beam axle and spindles off a 40s ford i think.. and a rear buggy spring. i have a few options for engines.. so should be able to get one of them up and running.. and i have a 9" ford rear. all these parts where free. so im ahead of the game for the 3000.00 tbucket budget i hope. laughs. right now im just saving my pennies waiting for cooler weather.

i have a welder, grinders, air compresor, basic tools, and a crap load of wood tools. thats what im good at working with wood.. so if i go glass body wont be a issue to build the structure with wood i hope but this will be a learning experience so yeah. i have torch, but from what iv been reading the cost of gas has gone way up.. so will check into getting them filled. and my only rule i guess i have on my build.. if i can buy it cheaper than i can make it i will. (this will be the case with a lot of the brackets for the frame) and modify them to my own needs.

oo yeah, and for style.. def want a bobtail.. i just dig the traditional look of them. color satin black, with zombie puke green ( instead of hot rod red ) with 40ish hub caps i think they look good. ( i have rally wheels ill use to get me going ).

ok well thats it for now.. hope you all have a great day.
chris.

Welcome from another newbie. I'm also 6' 4" and pushing 300 lbs. THat's why I'm building a modified touring. See the pic in my intro. I fit fine. You could build one a little longer if you wanted. Modify some early tin. Better than the crusher.

yours looks good. should keep you out of trouble :D im six foot four 230lbs or so. with a bad leg so will have to have a opening door.. for saving old tin up to the idea if the price was right but people think this stuff is gold.. so i doubt ill find something like you did.. so glass or make my own and then ill still have to put probably 200.00 into the glass body to stretch it ( was figure i need 8" stretch). at least that will be the hardest part, if i go with glass.. i do not look forward to messing with the stuff. LOL

chris.

Hi Chris and welcome to the site. If you are good with wood, you might think about a woody wagon C Cab style. There is a guy on the NTBA site he goes by Ceec he has built one and it is a great looking car.

hi, yeah im pretty good with wood. i just did not know if it would be strong enough. ( but i guess if you get hit by a car, dose not matter if its a tin, glass body you still gonna be hurting )
i was planing on building a body out of wood first if i did make one out of metal to make sure it would work. laughs.
ill try to google and see if i can find this wood C cab.

I see you make a glass bucket that is 10" is that comfy for a tall person? i do like the look of the C cabs.
and i have all the major wood working tools. thanks for the warm welcome.
chris.

well i found it, seems he used a glass cowl then added onto it. this maybe valid direction for me to explore. you see i wanted a roadster, bucket ( IE.. topless ) because i live in the desert.. but looking at some of the C cabs. the doors are wide open on them.. i think it would give same effect? allowing lots of air in, but blocking the sun. man you would make things even more complicated.
if i do this wood rout, id use 3/4" for the sides, and reinforce the inside with glass? or metal.. or something, just thinking out loud.. time to go see if there are some ( lots )of these 70s C cab pictures.. that could be done by a hack.
chris.

laid back is good. :D thanks for the link. we will see whats available to me in a few months while i save some money and wait for winter.
but, will remember to look in craigs list.

chris.

A little fun fact for you. When you search craigs search word to use is hotrod. Brings up a lot of stuff you might never find.

thanks for the tip.. iv search for model T. and it brought up nothing.. so the other places iv looked.. what i thought was a good deal to far away. and for example when i said made of gold a 29 roadster some guy wants 6k just for a body with nothing else.. seems way expensive. laughs.. but maybe im just cheap.. wish i would of been a hotroder born so i could of picked up tin for a 10.00 and get to hot rodding in the 50's. but i guess its no surprise old tin has gone up.. if people are gonna pay for it. cant blame em for wanting to make a buck, we all need to eat.
chris.

Welcome! I'm also on the HAMB as well. My T is a mix of what works and what I like. This is a great site for all things T related. I know you'll find good info. All ya gotta do is ask.

Chris. Try this for gold!! Local guy here has an all virgin steel 32 ford 5 window. Absolutely no rust. I checked it over. The price!! For just the body.
Offers starting at 20 grand. He's had it for 30 years in dry storage.
Good luck with your search. You'll find a good candidate.

ouch, thats one spendy 32, not even the 3 window.. i know this was a low production year and 32's look cool.. but i like 33's amd 34's too.. since they are getting these crazy prices for old tin.. on the 32, iv seen some people pay really crazy prices for such. they think every thing is worth X. even tho they made so many more of them.. im just glad they have glass molds.. for that kind of money i hope he has the title too. :D

im looking at the glass stretched body's too. the one wintec sells that holds 4!!! that would be almost perfect for two adults reclining seats and a speaker box in the back with whatever room is left over. LOL.

all i can say iv never thought of my height as a disadvantage.. but with these old cars, they just were not made for us tall guys. LOL
i use jipp for my handle over on the hamb too. :D
chris.

Welcome Chris :ciao:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back