Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Just starting

Ronson

Just starting building my chassis for stretched tbucket. What kind of pan clearance does everyone try for and wheelbase. I'm using a quickchange or jag rearend. Engine is a 1994 jag 4.0 that is slanted over to the right 22 degrees. Planning on putting a 671 blower on it with a lot of under drive. Thanks ronson

I don't know much about traditional Tbucket frames and ground clearance. I really like the Jag engine and I think that it combined with a blower will be very cool.

Interesting. Look forward to seeing a 6/71 on that engine.

My wheelbase is 103" and my oil pan is 4" from the ground. I watch for speedbumps!
Side View2.jpg

I have 3.5" pan clearance. I have hit the pan numerous times. Fortunately I anticipated that and installed a Slamguard pan. It survived for 10 years until I finally hit it hard enough to spring a leak last year. In hindsight, I wish I had raised my motor mounts at least another inch.

My wheelbase is 103" and my oil pan is 4" from the ground. I watch for speedbumps!
View attachment 12629

Looks good, Spanky! I like a low T Bucket. The ground clearance on my old T was 4" at the oil pan. Never hit it on anything, but I was also paying attention and on the look out for possible road hazards.

For fear of hi-jacking the thread, could you PM me some info on your seats? They appear to be low also.

Couldn't figure out the PM protocol . . . oh well, they're Speedway Sportsman seats, fastened directly to the floor, hinged at the front so they tilt up for access to battery/brake MC under the floor. :)

Couldn't figure out the PM protocol . . . oh well, they're Speedway Sportsman seats, fastened directly to the floor, hinged at the front so they tilt up for access to battery/brake MC under the floor. :)

Thanks. I had looked at them as a seat option and dismissed them. Hows the ride with them bolted directly to the floor? Maybe I'll give them another look.

Sorry for the hi-jack, Ronson

Last edited:
Well things have changed since i started. The jag engine is out. After checking out the motor a little closer I found oil in the exhaust and a cracked intake. The trans after checking it out closer was a zf computerized trans. Back to small block chevy. I have a lot good speed parts for small blocks. The T is coming along very well. I'm trying for 4-5 inches of ground clearance. Frame is made with a step up in front. The body is a CCR stretched body with a door. Not a cheap body but very well built. Worth the money. Jerry and his mom have been very helpful when I need information. Ended up with a 350 trans and a jag rearend. Rear of frame is stepped up higher than normal. Has a complete six point roll cage. Wheelbase ended up at 108 inches. The car will fit a big block if I ever decide to. Bough a nice set of bucket seats with upholstery. Had to build a complete new bracket for the door latch. Came out very well. Sorry Jerry. Roll cage was very hard to build on the right side because of the door hinges. I'm not sure how to post build pictures. I have to get my friend to help me post pictures. I really enjoy all the articles and pictures. Almost every night I'm checking my iPad for new info. Thanks everyone for all your input. Ronson

Is the Jag rear end that you plan to use from the same car as the engine and trans you hoped to use? If so, the rear ends used with the AJ6 engines tended to eat bearings. It might be a good idea to check it out.

Hiya Spanky, Tell me more about your seats. As I mentioned in my Introduction post I did a lot of Fiero stuff before getting into the Bucket and I have a pair of Fiero seats left over (always liked the Fiero seats). Anyhow, are you happy with the ones you installed? Would you do anything different?

Thanks

Tom

Well . . . my seats suit me, and that's the bottom line. Comfy? . . . not to most, but I don't mind 'em. They're the basic Speedway fiberglass 'Sportsman' seats, mounted so they tilt forward to give access to the brake MC and battery under the floor. What they accomplish for me is a low seating position in my bucket which I wanted. I'm sitting right on the floor! It's like driving a go-kart.
T-Bucket5b.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back