Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Just to be upfront about my actions

Mike

I've had to remove an element from a member's signature file and I want to make it clear why I've done it.

According to the forum rules, a section of which I am quoting below -

Links are permitted in signatures. Links are included within the limits above. Links to offensive or competitive sites will be removed at the sole discretion of the T-Bucket Forums staff members.

I've spent an incredible amount of time and money to build this site to where it is today. And I did not get here by crawling over the backs of other T-Bucket site owners, posting links to my site on their own.

If someone wants to step up and give operating a T-Bucket forum site a try, I wish you the very best of luck. But I will also ask you to not trawl visitors and members of this site to seed your own. If I ever feel need to support a competitive site, I will do so of my own free will. I guess I'm just kind of particular about allowing my pocket to be picked.

If this creates any hard feelings for anyone, don't bother sharing them with me. Having my shoulders stood upon has left me feeling a bit uncaring.

Come on Mike, Tell us what's really on your mind....

I feel that you are doing a great job and I would never know where to start on a site as well
done as this one...

I tell members on other sites about OUR bucket site! It is the best specialized site for bucket owners.

I'm just glad to be here! I have no interest in going elsewhere and I dang sure don't have the time, energy or knowledge to pull off my own web page. I support monthly in the fianacials and I love this sight. It has saved me tons of money and brought some good friends into my life. THX MIKE!!!

The only links that I think might possibly be allowed would be a tech link how to fix something .That could be on that other site. But great job on the site Mike.JMo

I've always made it a point to not use competitive links in my signatures. And I belong to a lot of forums. If another site allows non-competitive links, then I'm all over it. But I would never think of using links to this site on the Spirit site or on the NTBA site.

Backlinks really can boost a site, so I like to use them. Where and when I can.

I'm not upset at all at Mike for doing what he feels is right for HIS site so please don't think that's what this is about.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see this as a "competition."

I visit (I could list 'em but I'm guessing Mike don't want those links here) LOTS of automotive and motorcycle sites a day and a post on LOTS of boards, and this really is the first time I've seen or heard that someone remove a link to another website... but then again, I might be mistaken.

I think I've linked to this forum from three other forums before... I guess I shouldn't have done that?

We're the redheaded step children of the street rodding community. What's good for T Buckets is GOOD FOR ALL T BUCKET(-heads, -eers, owners, etc).

Why are we "competing" for clicks?

I guess it all does boil down to the dollar after all.

This used to be fun. When did that change?

This is (of course) my opinion.

Just my opinion here... 2cents...

Most people nowadays thrive after the dollar... people thinks its what makes the world go round (as you know). Websites thrive on high hits/visited sites which comes down to where people like to advertise and money gets involved. Links from sites to other sites makes those hits go up by a rating system from a searching stand point. With people coming in here and trying to make money off a something that he has put all his time and effort in... I dont blame him one bit for what he does. I guess its no different from me advertising/soliciting in front of a super busy Wal-Mart, Ill get kicked out real quick without proper permission. I dont see any difference here...

Todd, I see where you're coming from, I really do.

But I've also found that quite a bit of life is about competition. And if you question me, look at how churches advertise for members. Should religion be a competition? I sure don't think so, but Church A really wants your weekly offering in their collection plate, rather than in Church B's.

I think I've linked to this forum from three other forums before... I guess I shouldn't have done that?
Certainly not if the owners of those sites frown on it.

Why bother getting up to go to work each morning? The government isn't going to let us starve. Or do we want something better for our lives than a blanket on the floor of a homeless mission after standing in a soup line?

Next thing you know, you're competing with other applicants to get a job. Then you're competing with other shoppers to get a better deal on groceries, housing, vehicles and need I go on? And before you know it, the guy next door has a jet ski or a snowmobile and guess what you've got a yearning to buy?

Nope, no denial from me about how it all boils down to the dollar.

This used to be fun. When did that change?
When it became more of a life commitment than an extension of a hobby? Then again, maybe it really hasn't changed after all.

It is my (unpaid) job to drive as much traffic to this site as I possibly can. The sponsors of this site exchange dollars for exposure of their ads. No exposure means no dollars. Less traffic means fewer donations. Less income means we cannot afford the server we're operating on. Fewer server resources means fewer forum functions.

So perhaps I need to move the forum to an open software source that costs nothing and offers just as much security? And move the site back to a shared hosting package from a host that offers unlimited disk space and unlimited transfer for $4.95/month. And when the forum gets cracked or we're crawling at a snail's pace, we can all clap each other on the back and talk about how much fun we're having.

My job would be fun if I didn't need to show up each day. My bank accounts would be fun if I didn't have to pay the bills each month. The housework would be fun if someone else was doing it. Driving my truck would be fun if I didn't have to pay for registration, insurance, fuel and maintenance. Grocery shopping would be more fun if there wasn't that row of cash registers between the goods and the doors.

Heck, forums would be fun if I were not responsible for keeping them running for zero compensation, mind you. Ooops, we're back to the dollar again, aren't we? OK, the forums would be fun if there were no licenses to be renewed or hosting space to purchase. Damn! There's the dollars, one more time.
See? I really do agree with you. Life used to be a lot more fun, before all these pesky obligations got in the way. :hoist:

And I've not even touched base on how sponsors are spending $50/month for those ads you'll see at the top of the page and then someone comes along and feels they can insert an ad that was nearly as large for no cost at all.

To anyone that wants to try building a better mousetrap, I'll tell you the same thing I told the individual in question. Best of luck to you. I hope it works out for you. And don't get discouraged as you try to build your own search engine ranking and your own link 'juice'. It only takes hours and hours and hours and hours of your time. Time that no one else ever sees or knows anything about. And when you finally start to realize your goal, let me know and I will be right over to spam your site up for you, with links leading back to this site.

LOL, I was trying to reply and I think I hit "REPORT." So Mike, if you get a report about your post, please forgive me.

Using Ghostzilla really hard to read sometimes so I switched over to Firefox to post this message.

Mike, you explained it very well and I thank you for taking the time to explain.

I suppose you are correct when you say everything is a competition and depends on a certain financial aspect.

Never saw the offending and misplaced advert so I had no idea it was large or small or whatever. My understanding was that it was a link to another website only and in a signature or something.

If I had a link to one of my facebook or myspace pages would that be unacceptable? Please don't misunderstand, I'm not saying you have done anything wrong - I'm only curious.

If someone on another forum posted something about whitewall tires on the cheap... (I use this as an example because this is exact the type of thing I'm talking about) and I thought that information would be interesting to members of another forum and provided a link to the information (as I've certainly done in the past) would that be unacceptable?

On a certain VW website this subject came up and I think I posted a link here, and on a forum for little 110cc motorcyles, possibly on a few more websites.

I'm guessing I should copy and paste the info and not link to it because it was on another website?

Dang, that's all my two favorite websites do - link to news of the weird posted elsewhere on the interwebz... even the comment threads are full of links to other sites of interest.

No worries, I'll just not include any links to any other websites and not link back to this one from any other websites.

Word of mouth is still ok though right?

GAK! I've one of my own posts reported?? :winkn:

If someone sees an interesting post on another site, I don't mind someone here linking back to it.

When someone comes here and posts (not one thread, but two mind you) they are opening a T-Bucket site that closely emulates this one and then inserts an image into their signature (approximately the same size as the RPM ad above) linking back to that site - well I feel as if my good nature is being abused.

I don't mean to pick on anyone in particular, but since I mentioned Ron's ad, let me use him for an example. Ron is someone who obviously loves T-Buckets. He builds, he owns, he drives and he also manufactures components to sell to others. So why should he actually sell his components? Shoot, we're all just one happy family of T-Bucket lovers, aren't we? Based on that premise, shouldn't Ron just manufacture everything and send it to us for nothing? And since I'm now manufacturing the same parts (after copying Ron's designs, no less), shouldn't I also be allowed to post links back to ACME T-Bucket Parts on Ron's Web site?

No, Ron shouldn't give anything away.

No, Ron shouldn't ship anything for free.

No, I have not copied anyone's designs on anything, nor am I manufacturing anything. (And you just know someone will miss these three disclaimers and start spitting blood at me for posting that series of hypothetical questions. :stop: And no, I'm not kidding.)

But that is exactly what happened here. A member apparently felt he could build a better mousetrap, set up a site that closely copies what we have here and then decided to use this site to promote his own. And don't go kidding yourselves about how it shouldn't come down to dollars, because this individual has a donation module proudly displayed on his own site. He crows here about how he is running open source (read: free) software for all his applications, but he's accepting donations to support his site? :thinkn:

For the record, I opened this site a little over three years ago. I was spending $7.95/month for hosting and I spent $160 to purchase the vBulletin license. And there were no donation modules to be found on this site. I figured I could fund the site out of my own wallet, as I never expected any more than 250 members, tops. That number fell by the wayside, some 1,514 members ago. The traffic was straining our hosting package, so we moved to a new host that cost me an additional $2.00/month. And we just kept growing and expanding and it suddenly got to the point where the only e-mails I was getting were angry messages about how slow the site was and how people were sick of waiting for pages to load. So, we're on our own VPS. People wanted a way to post articles, so I purchased an articles script. Same with the photo gallery.

Sure, I was well aware there were free software sources out there, but what most people do not know is that some of them are actually running on our server as I type. I know what works well and what doesn't. I know what is secure and what isn't. In addition to the now five, live forums I am operating, there is a phpBB3 test forum, an SMF 2.0RC2 test forum, a MyBB 1.4 test forum, a vBulletin 3.8.4PL1 test forum, a vBulletin 4.0B3 test forum, a Joomla site and a WordPress MU/BuddyPress installation running in the background. With the exception of the vBulletin scripts, the others all all freebies. There are so many databases swirling around me, I don't know if I'm pitchin' or catchin'. :zingy: My point to all that is this - do you really think I wouldn't be using one of the free solutions, if I felt it would cover our needs? If we were back to those old days of late 2006, when we might get one or two people visiting the site each day, I would gladly switch to a free forum solution and go back to cheap hosting. In spite of what anyone might think, my Scots blood boils when I have to part with cash, so I like the idea of free.

We have an Invision script running on this site, called IP.Content. It is the script powering the Terms of Service, Rules and Privacy Policy pages, actually. I am slowly getting my head wrapped around how it works and hope to soon be able to use it to power articles pages again. It's just taking time to get used to the script. When it's all said and done, I think the system will knock your socks off. But that brings me right back to the dollars, because the script wasn't free and neither is all the time I am sinking into it.

I hate that it has to come down to money. But it always does just that.

Mike I agree, there is nothing worthwhile that is free for very long,and anyone trying to get a free ride is nothing short of stealing. Keep up the good work and thanks for being there.

Thanks for taking the time to fully explain your point.

Other points of interest on other forums are (or rather, can be) allowed.

Shouldn't add a link to a personal website (of amazing similarity to this particular subject matter) in a signature, but other stuff's ok here and there.

Track T's link today to People of Walmart dot com - perfectly acceptable because it doesn't fall under the definiton of "competition."

Perfectly Cromulent haha I just love that word.

I'm thinking about starting up a BBS for T Bucket owners... just kidding. LOL

Used to describe a dubious or made up word, term, or phrase that is entirely plausible because it makes logical sense within existing language conventions.

Way too complicated for my brain...:eek:uch:
--- how about--- a reasonable sounding fake word to describe reasonable sounding fake words :news:

Used to describe a dubious or made up word, term, or phrase that is entirely plausible because it makes logical sense within existing language conventions.

Way too complicated for my brain...:eek:uch:
--- how about--- a reasonable sounding fake word to describe reasonable sounding fake words :news:

:eek:uch: got it thanks, I'll have to try and remember that. :news:

It's from a Simpsons episode a long time ago... in a galaxy far far away.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back