Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Larry Dixon Crash

Don DeVault is a pretty good friend. When he was still driving an Top Alcohol Dragster, there was an obvious rule about having a positive stop on the steering shaft, to prevent it from becoming a spear in a frontal impact. So, you would feed the shaft in from the nose of the car, until it hit the stop, then bolt the steering box in. The shaft was captive at that point, aye?

Nope.

Don shook the tires off the starting line, and the steering shaft turned into a snake. It was deflecting so much, the coupler unplugged from the steering box, and Don was suddenly a passenger. What saved him was that it happened right off the starting line, rather than after gathering speed, further down track.

I've a pal in Indy, Mike Hazlett, who drove a C/D for a guy over in Ohio. This car was an absolute gem. I mean no money was spared to paint, polish and plate everything on the car. The owner was obsessive about the car being clean. You will not believe this, but I swear it is true. At the end of the day, when it came time to load the car, they would roll the front wheels just up onto the trailer door. They would bring out a 5 gallon jug of water, and pour water over the tires, and wipe them clean, then dry all the water off the wheel and spindle, etc. Then, they would roll the rear tires just up onto the door, and jack the rear end up. They would pour water over the rear tires, rotating them as they went, to wash all the dust, dirt, and debris off. Then that end of the car would get dried off. When they packed the chute on that car, they laid it down on towels, to fold it. Couldn't have any dust or dirt getting on the chute, now could they?

I talked to a guy, from over in Ohio, who had previously driven the car, and casually mentioned all the cleaning was more than a little obsessive. He told me they would spend 6 - 8 hours a week, after every race, pulling off body panels, polishing the insides, wiping down frame rails, etc. :cautious: You know, we tried to keep our stuff clean, but it was a race car, for Pete's sake!

Anyway, the owner had a passion for being clean, but this guy was clueless when it came to working inside the can. Mike would stage the car, and when he would switch feet, the tires would go square, and rattle all the way through low gear. He would punch the button for second, and you would think the tires were going to come right off the wheels, they would wad up so badly. Mike said when the car would leave, everything would turn gray, that he could not see any color in anything, and as the car would keep moving, his vision would start tunneling down, and the gray would start turning black. I kid you not, just watching that car leave the starting line would make you hurt.

Mike started having some severe pains in his shoulder and he finally saw a doctor about it. It was being caused from his shoulder being banged into the top rail, during all the tire shake. He was talking to the doctor about how violent the shake was, and explained what would happen to his vision. The doctor explained that he was right on the edge of going unconscious. And that was the end of Mike's driving a dragster.

With the V-6 car, we had to walk a very fine line with the clutch. That car, in my opinion, was all about the clutch. You wanted to stick the tires at the starting line, but in addition to being hard on the discs, we didn't have the huge amounts of torque the V-8 guys had, so we would always try for some controlled wheel speed at the line. We needed just enough tire spin to get the car up onto the tire. If I could see the car just slipping the tire at the starting line, then I knew we were in the right church, so I would start watching the tops of the tires. If they would just ripple a tiny bit, as the car went into 3rd gear, I knew the car was on a pass. But it was a very delicate situation, because if the car really rattled the tires in third, then we were toast. And I knew Brian would be looking for aspirin, when we got back to the trailer. And the difference between re-setting the National Record and rattling the tires out of the groove could be a tiny, tiny amount of counterweight, on just a single finger.

The Fuel guys talk about counterweight changes in huge numbers, but we had to finesse everything. I remember Dale Creasy once telling me the track at Columbus had changed :eek: eighty grams, in the heat of the day. I nearly fell down, because we didn't have eighty grams of counterweight in the entire trailer! I once saw a multi-time Pro Stock National Champion hang a zip tie on a clutch finger, because he needed to make that small a change. When you are within tenths of a gram from shaking the tires, you know your combination is about as close as it can get.

Tire shake is some nasty stuff, and when I see the big cars rattling the tires, I just cringe.

George, I know most people would argue with me until the second coming, but I really think it is time to rein the cars and the teams at the NHRA big shows. Take the Pro Stock cars back to a steel roof and steel quarters. Let's get those things looking like real cars again. As for the fuel stuff, well, limit the blowers, use a single mag and a single pump. And start weaning those cars off the timed clutch applications. Back in the day, if a car started to slip the tires, a driver might be good enough to catch it and still win a round. Today, if the driver steps off and back on, as the timers are applying more clutch, it's all over. Open the nitro percentages back up, and put the damn traps back at 1320 feet, instead of this 1,000 foot stuff. Sure, the cars would slow way down, but costs would drop back to a point where a mega-billionaire could afford to own a car again :rolleyes:, the fuel cars would be ripping and snorting on the heavier nitro loads and races would go back to being won by a driver's skills.

I look at the current situation with Alan Johnson and Shawn Langdon with mixed emotions. I have huge respect for Alan Johnson and his abilities, but look what happens when a team like that loses their gold-plated teat to feed on. No, I do not want to see that team parked, but maybe if the NHRA rules were not a runaway train, then AJ could find a marketing partner to work with him. When I look at the Gray Racing Pro Stock team, and Terry Chandler's financing of the Tommy Johnson AA/FC, I see three teams that can afford to be out there. But how many BILLIONS of dollars did Johnny Gray and Terry Chandler net from the sale of the family oil business? It was a ballsy move for Richard Freeman to sit out the Western Swing, last year, particularly when Enders-Stevens was winning races right and left. But props to Freeman for realizing that he could not hope to win enough to make the Western Swing a profitable venture.

Errr, am I rambling? :oops:

Apologies for derailing your thread, @RPM , but it is just so plain that NHRA needs to start fixing their house, before it all tumbles down atop them.

Mike...I agree with you completely on the run a way cost of running any of the pro cars and the comp classes are not really any better. Slowing down a fuel dragster or funny car in a full quarter mile would have no effect on spectators in my opinion. If you are in the bleachers any where near the starting line to mid track you wold not have any perspective of trap speed. Likewise if your are at the finish line cars would be just a blur. NHRA has for years argued they can't slow them down Guess they never though of limiting the fuel intake as a start. These big teams now build their own cylinder heads from raw blocks of aluminum in house and when they build they build a bunch of them. Forged aluminum blocks stacked on pallets. I remember when Gartlis wanted to mandate one engine to qualify and sealed by NHRA for race day. You break it you're done. That would have slowed down the grenade mentality for sure. I wasn't even aware the Pro Stock cars were allowed to run carbon or e'glass roofs to a week ago. Guess that started with that series of camero/firebirds in the early '90s and just continued for every brand car. Yeap...steel bodies with carbon front fenders and hood would work for me. At the rate they are going there won't be enough quality car teams to make a full program at a national event. I've been hearing talk of that problem already. Would not suprise me if the class went away as it no longer represents what the car manufactures are selling to the public and I kind of thought that was the whole point.

Now, about tire shake...In 1981 cars were accelerating so hard that they were toeing the rear tires in permanently by bending the rear end housing. I had teamed up with the "E"in Reher-Morrsion and Dave "A Fuel Pilot" Settles to build some dragsters. We came up with the first of the sheet metal fabricated 9" Ford housings for Top Fuel. I built one completely out on hot roll 1/8" mild steel and blacked out a pair of mild steel floater spindles just to lear how to do it. Got to talking about just what it would take to kill it so we decided to try. Built a test fixture that would hold it nose down in a big hydraulic press. Built a yoked saddle that would push on both spindles from the centerline with a single 6" diameter cylinder. Cars weight around 1800 lbs at that time so we started pressing. At At 18,000 lbs the dial indicators on each dummy spindle were coming back to zero when the pressure was released. That was telling us that at 18 Gs of force all was good. Those cars only generated 4-5 Gs at that time as I recall. Now Settles and I did take a workday drink on occasion so after discussing it a bit further we decided to go for broke and push till it failed. At 34,000lbs the indicators went off the chart so we knew something had given up. Backed the cylinder off and nothing in the housing was bent. Got to looking and realized the once round floater spindles were not elliptical. Really surprised us both as I was figuring on a housing failure. With that knowledge we started building the real ones of 4130 and either of two top axle builders spindles. First race wast the Winternationals with Marvin "Who" Graham in the TR3 Resin car. Shook the car and broke both spindles under the inboard bearing. I build them a replacement housing with the other manufacture's spindle and shipped it to them and never looked back. Thinking I would only build enough to supply our cars I never considered it to become a life time of work. Much easier to build then cars and took up a lot less room. Also needed no help in picking them up. Now about that tire shake...You are right about driver's vision focusing down and going gray. There were some drivers that did pass out and coast to a stop or scrub a retaining wall or barrier. You would see wing stands collapse, wheels break, chassis break, transmissions break and drivers get knocked around like a rag doll. Richard Tharp was probably the king of Shake experiences. Since he was a paid driver he just showed up and stepped on the throttle for the full ride. Letting up wasn't in his thought process at all. He would drive those things all the way under tire shake while slinging and breaking part the entire run. I would run into him over at Beadle's Chaparral Trailer shop. We got to talking and turns out he was a tunnel rat in Vietnam. That answered all my questions right there! So that's about it for this history lesson I have taken the liberty to paste in a link to Richard Tharp for those that don't know him. He was the poster boy for the early days. Hope this has given you some insight to this very violent world of Top Fuel racing. I'll be in touch!

George

http://www.nhra.com/blog/dragster-insider/2012/07/27/king-richard-damndest-thing-you-ever-saw/

There is no question, Tharp rolled his around in a much bigger wheel barrow than I would ever need.

I imagine we could carry on a long conversation about some of these people on the 'back channel', telling the stories that people don't want to be told. When I think of Beadle, I also think of Lincoln Continentals, and I bet that would get a lot of people puckered right up.

Ran into Larry tonite at the Indiana Pacers game. Chatted for a minute and told him that we were glad that he was alright. When I said that it must have been one hell of a ride, he just smiled and "oh yeah!". Our shop has done a lot of work for teams he's driven for (as well as BVR) and he's always been a pretty cool guy. Confident, but still humble.

A wreck like that would have me thinking about retirement, but I do have a lot of admiration for guys like him that will climb back in another car.

I just spotted this at:
http://www.dragracingonline.com/agent1320/2015/1320-xvii_3-24.html

"Reports have failure related to using .049 wall tubing on the front half, along with questions about the uprights and diagonals."
I have to admit that this .049 tube use in the front frame rails really surprises me. I though that had long gone away when the 300" long cars got so heavy and flexible. I would tend to believe that will change. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

George

And now we go back to the tubing wars? The more things change, the more they stay the same.

One thing is certain, the questions and answers about the diagonals on the front half will be extremely brief.

"Tell me about the diagonals on the front half."

"They ain't none. Next question?"

Heat-treated tubing, Condition-N tubing, this wall thickness, that wall thickness, slip tubes, etc. This stuff has been raging (sometimes not even behind the scenes, ala Bill Miller) forever and I don't see it changing any time soon. The fight goes on about Condition-N tubing, when it's like pulling teeth to get two people to agree what Condition-N really means. The end game is if they start binding up the front half with diagonals again, they'll be back to the drawing board, trying to figure how to make one of those cars leave without instant tire smoke.

What is the most mystifying is how those cars all have different personalities. You can build two cars on the same jig, using tubing from the same run, with the same fellow doing the welds, and those two cars might be as different as night and day. So when people start making generalizations about what might have caused a car to fail (particularly Agent 1320), I start wondering if it might be time to defrost my freezer.

I stand by my earlier comments. Let's take about 17 steps back toward sanity, build the cars to be safe, take away a fuel pump, take away a mag, take away the clutch timers, and bring drivers back into the game. Yes, that smacks of running spec cars, but I prefer the idea of running cars, as opposed to sweeping up messes on race tracks.

And now we go back to the tubing wars? The more things change, the more they stay the same.

One thing is certain, the questions and answers about the diagonals on the front half will be extremely brief.

"Tell me about the diagonals on the front half."

"They ain't none. Next question?"

Heat-treated tubing, Condition-N tubing, this wall thickness, that wall thickness, slip tubes, etc. This stuff has been raging (sometimes not even behind the scenes, ala Bill Miller) forever and I don't see it changing any time soon. The fight goes on about Condition-N tubing, when it's like pulling teeth to get two people to agree what Condition-N really means. The end game is if they start binding up the front half with diagonals again, they'll be back to the drawing board, trying to figure how to make one of those cars leave without instant tire smoke.

What is the most mystifying is how those cars all have different personalities. You can build two cars on the same jig, using tubing from the same run, with the same fellow doing the welds, and those two cars might be as different as night and day. So when people start making generalizations about what might have caused a car to fail (particularly Agent 1320), I start wondering if it might be time to defrost my freezer.

I stand by my earlier comments. Let's take about 17 steps back toward sanity, build the cars to be safe, take away a fuel pump, take away a mag, take away the clutch timers, and bring drivers back into the game. Yes, that smacks of running spec cars, but I prefer the idea of running cars, as opposed to sweeping up messes on race tracks.

I agree 100% and take $$$money out of the equation. As much as possible anyway. Just to say you have the lowest ET and fastest time at the inherent risk of safety/life and limb, has always been my pet peeve about the sport of drag racing. Put it back into the hands of the drivers. Reaction time is what really wins or loses races/mostly as well as how the cars are set up. And HP!!

You know, there are some drivers out there who demonstrate a ton of talent. But, in nearly every instance, those same drivers have been able to hone their talent because of the silver spoons they have wedged up their backsides.

I was watching the Bruton Smith circus (a.k.a. the Four-Wides), Sunday night. They interviewed John Hale, the fellow who is driving Jim Dunn's car. They asked Hale what he liked to do in his spare time. He said he enjoyed boating, deep-sea fishing, being out-of-doors with his friends and family. Well, isn't that all warm and fuzzy? When I was involved, I was working a 45-hour week, then spending Monday through Wednesday nights in the race shop, working on the car, so when I got off work on Thursday, we could drive all night to get to a race. Atop of trying to take care of business at home, things like doing laundry, mowing the lawn, paying the bills, taking care of my son, since I was a single parent. Racing was what we did, with every spare moment we had. Who had time for any kind of hobby activities?

I always tried to see to it that Brian got as much rest and sleep as possible. So I did a lot of the driving, to and from races. It was nothing unusual to work an eight-hour day, then crawl in the driver's seat of the truck and drive for another eight or ten hours. I guess that was my hobby - touring America's interstates at 4:00 AM, enjoying the scenery it was too dark to see,

I could see there was a direct correlation between driver reaction times, and the amount of seat time he was getting. Had he been able to sit at home on a practice tree, every day, I am confident his starting line prowess would have improved. But that would have interfered with this strange, wee concept, called 'earning a living'.

Gotta say not a huge fan of the 4-wide, but happy Antron won it. Also cool to see Larry Morgan win again. After the last few years of frustration, I thought I never see him in a Pro Stock again.

Bruton Smith only does whatever he can to make money. When NHRA/IHRA get tired of him and his ways, the 4 wide stuff will be gone. Good riddance in my opinion.

Hey Mike , did someone neglect to tell you life IS unfair ????
Oh, no, I get my daily reminders. Tomorrow is a bonus reminder, because it is payday. :)

I have to say I don't like 4 wide drag racing at all.
4 wide = circus. Full stop. It really accomplishes little more than doubling the number of shake-n-bake cars that are likely going to oil the track. Drivers spend the entire year, honing their starting line technique, so they can go to Charlotte and get their heads screwed with. If they are going to have a circus race, they need to make it a non-points earning event, and then see who bothers to show up.

I hate to admit it to myself, but the more I see of the Big Show, the more I find myself being drawn to the nostalgia races.

Also cool to see Larry Morgan win again.
^^^ This. Larry is a good guy, who never forgot whence he came. Looking at some of his reaction times, it seems the Eye of the Tiger is still seeing quite well.

As for Shumacher's teams winning, well... :sleep:

I really have major respect for Mark Oswald and his tuning abilities. I think when it comes down to making a car go down a marginal track, Oswald is one of the best in the business. And it heartens me to see him have the financial backing to have first-cabin stuff to work with (which is not to say Paul Candies' pockets were not deep), because I think the guy has definitely earned his stripes. But I look at Beckman's team and if he fails to win the championship this year, then there will be zero excuses. If the guy can have any kind of light, and then herd it to the other end, Jimmy Prock and John Medlen won't let him down. Prock finally found the handle on that car, so everyone else is racing for second place.

The win lights I enjoy seeing are when people like Blake Alexander gets one. Smitty is a savvy tuner, and sly like a fox. And how many cars are on that team, providing Smitty with data? Oh. Yeah, They have just the one car. Look how Jim Dunn has tuned Hale to some round wins. Another single-car team. Let's face it, if NHRA would allow unlimited teams, The Don and Force would be fielding more cars, and that kind of takes away all the prestige of winning for me.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back