Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Loaning out tools

Yep, I have a Snap-On 72" top and bottom box that I've had for like 25 years, and 2 Montezuma 72" Elite 36 drawer units and 7 service carts, thats my stuff.
Everyone else has at least a couple of big boxes like me, except for the young-un working with us....he just bought a custom painted 50 someodd inch box from somewhere.
I carry the total cost and let them pay me back a little each week if they want something. Thats the way I was brought up thru the ranks, so I pass that onto the guys out in the shop. That way, if they need something, its not painfull to purchase what you need.
I remember when I first started out, for $599.00 at Sears, you could get a totally loaded top, middle, and bottom Craftsman setup. I mean they had everything....deadblow hammers, ignition wrenches, etc, the whole 9 yards.
Tools have got waaaay toooo Expensive to loan out.
Because there are folks in and out of my shop, I have cameras all over, inside and out, I have alot of speciality tools for blowers and turbos. After we close the shop, I then turn on a alarm....but my 2 puppy dogs are the final layer of protection.

I myself don't borrow tools, but my 17-year-old son is another matter. He borrows MY tools all the time and never (well, hardly ever) puts them back where he found them. Usually they get sucked into the black hole of chaos that is his work area. He is a mechanic at the local bike shop (and a damn good one, too) and I'll bet he doesn't do stuff like that at work. If he doesn't mend his ways I'm going to have to lock everything up! Any ideas, guys? All will be greatly appreciated!
You answered your own question, lock them up!

Bill, your dad and my dad were a lot alike-Dad used to give me tools for Christmas, birthdays, etc., even Easter (unlike candy, tools don't rot your teeth).
I also bought my son quite a few tools (complete sets of wrenches and screwdrivers, special bike tools, etc.) but he still uses mine. As for locking mine up, I'm working toward it, but since I'm in my 50's I'm afraid I'll forget where I put the keys!!!

This is a little off the subject line, but I work in a Helicopter Repair Facility. We have a tool control program that goes like this:
Every mechanic/technician has his tool box inventory (the boxes are shadowed) before the shift starts.
At the end of the shift the mechanic/technician has his box checked by a lead mechanic/technician .
When a helicopter goes on flight test every mechanic that works on the helicopter has box inventoried and tool room is checked out for tools checked out to the mechanic or the helicopter.
When I release the helicopter to FAR 135 (passenger carrying) service we do the same as we did before the flight evaluation.
If something is amiss I make them start open up the ACFT until we find the missing tool.
All this is documented in our computer system with a smart card electronic signature.

Swampdog

In the mid '70s working construction,we were given a numbered tag. That tag was your ID and also your tool check out tag as well as your pass to get onto the job site. Don't return tool, no get back on job site. life's a bitch when forced to grow up!!

This is a little off the subject line, but I work in a Helicopter Repair Facility. We have a tool control program that goes like this:
Every mechanic/technician has his tool box inventory (the boxes are shadowed) before the shift starts.
At the end of the shift the mechanic/technician has his box checked by a lead mechanic/technician .
When a helicopter goes on flight test every mechanic that works on the helicopter has box inventoried and tool room is checked out for tools checked out to the mechanic or the helicopter.
When I release the helicopter to FAR 135 (passenger carrying) service we do the same as we did before the flight evaluation.
If something is amiss I make them start open up the ACFT until we find the missing tool.
All this is documented in our computer system with a smart card electronic signature.

Swampdog

You trying to say those pilots don't like to find loose tools under the floor panels or in the engine inlet? Just no spirit of adventure. I seem to remember the company commander just getting his C&C ship back from maintenance late in the night. They needed it for a mission early the next morning. Lifted off with several ground commanders and away they went. Few minutes later the radio traffic was hot and heavy as he had no left petal. From the neutral position it would only move a very small amount. Flew it in wide arcs and brought it back onto the active. Maintenance pulled the floor panels and found a ball peen hammer lodged in the controls. No more of that after that little meeting! Sucked fasteners, screwdrivers and worst through the engines. They were exciting days for sure. Combat world and civilian world can be totally different. No FAA in the war zone for sure. Military use to say "Buy'em Cheap, Stack'em Deep!"

George

Our big customers, B P and Shell set the tone for safety. But like everything else in Aviation the present regulations are written with the blood of those before us. I started in 1966 as a helicopter mechanic in the Marines and sometime this summer I will probable quit. It has been a blast. 48 years, no accidents/incidents either flying or maintenance.

Swampdog

Our big customers, B P and Shell set the tone for safety. But like everything else in Aviation the present regulations are written with the blood of those before us. I started in 1966 as a helicopter mechanic in the Marines and sometime this summer I will probable quit. It has been a blast. 48 years, no accidents/incidents either flying or maintenance.

Swampdog[/

48 years under the blades without injuries is a pretty good sign you're living right. Glad to see you're about to the end of the flight. Those things do get into your blood for sure. Enjoy your retirement!

George

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back