Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Looking for someone to blame

Mike

That wee bit of downtime we just experienced? As soon as I can find a volunteer, I'll have someone to blame for it.

Truth be known, that was entirely self-inflicted. I had just got home from work, and rather than going to bed, I decided to try to clean up some rough edges on the new forum. I had a half-dozen browser tabs open and the database tables I thought I was dropping from the new site were actually being dropped from this site. And you saw the result.

<banging head on desk>

For 32 years, my biggest problem with computers is the pesky things always do what I tell them to do, rather than what I want them to do.

Any posts made from around 3:00 AM, this morning, and around 7:30 AM are lost. I hope there were not too many, but since I can't find someone to blame, you can all blame me. :x3:

I think I will go hit the pillow, before I stick a fork in anything else.

Mike, I'll take the blame! I think I'm a criminal! I put a post on the HAMB site asking if anybody had seen my car. Got a notice it was deleted because "it was off topic and not traditional". With the notice came the RULES page. What is more traditional than a 40 year old T bucket? Anyway, I posted a request for a moderator to explain and nothing! So two days later I tried again in the classified/wanted section and then GOT THE BOOT! Hell, I was wasting to much time there anyway! I like the front engine dragsters and gassers from the '60's so I will go to the Refuge site after I read the new stuff here. Wish I new enough to give the HAMB site some headaches!

Wow, sorry to hear that happened to you. As for causing them headaches, you're just as well off not knowing how to do that. It really wouldn't get you anywhere in the long run, even though it might give you some momentary satisfaction.

I guess I have misunderstood what that site is all about, because I thought it was a place to talk about cars. I'm not a member there and have likely visited less than a half-dozen times, so maybe I just never picked up on their real mission?

But I will say that something I have learned over the last couple decades is operating a discussion forum often means establishing and then enforcing rules that can often seem unfair to others. It is their house, their rules and it's not my place to question any of it. They've been around for a lot of years and have a large forum site, so they must be doing something right.

Anyway, I've always found there are generally other Web sites where one can pursue one's interests, so getting upset about being banned from one is not the end of the world. And if you want to talk about race cars over at the Hot Rod Refuge, I'm sure you will find others willing to join in that discussion.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back