Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Looking to add a small pick up bed to my T

Lucas1923t

Hi All,
I'm finally starting to work on my bucket again. I would like to get rid of the dune buggy looking thing thats currently on my T(See Pics) and add a small pick up bed. I see speedway anf TP have these in both 14" and 20". My questions is can I add this with out doing any fiberglass work? I see most of them are attached to the back of the main body. I'm not sure how sturdy it would be if I don't attach it to the main body. Are these rugged enough to be just bolted to the brackets on the frame? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks for your help and I hpoe all of you have a great Holiday!!!. Thanks:)

With the square tube frame work you have there you will have plenty of ways to mount it . Just weld braces out form there. Like hanging a stock car body.

Thats a big keg, looks like an 18 galloner so you must be planning some long cruises! Need to get some foam around to keep 'er cool.

Where you gonna put the gas tank??

I bought a Speedway body about 1980 and the pick-up bed was bolted on. They have new molds since then so I don't know if that is still the case. You could call them and find out. They are great for helping.

Thanks for your input!!!! The keg looks a little bigger in the pics than it really is. It only holds about 10 gallons. If I add the bed I was going to to away with the keg and get a tank from rpm.

The other thought I had was to just do away with all the stuff on the back end and just build a mount for just a round tank. I saw one posted here by dustytrails that looks real nice. Just a simple round tank on the back. The only thing I might like to add is a fuel gauge sender since my gauge package came with one.

I'm not sure how safe a beer keg is as a fuel tank??? Any thoughts? The other thing I see is that speed way has some long round tanks that look real nice( I think they are made out of aluminum) but they say there for off road use only... any idea why??? Thanks again for all your help.

Go to CCR and look at their bed it bolts on and has a floor .

Lucas1923t said:
Do they have a website? Thanks

CCR

California Custom Roadsters
15113-ASIERRA BONITA LANE
CHINO , CA 91710

(909) 393-4005

CCR

20bed1.jpg
14bed1.jpg
smootht.jpg

Oh, now I get it. The keg is the gas tank.
I thought it was part of the crew life support systems.

Lucas1923t said:
I'm not sure how safe a beer keg is as a fuel tank??? Any thoughts? The other thing I see is that speed way has some long round tanks that look real nice( I think they are made out of aluminum) but they say there for off road use only... any idea why??? Thanks again for all your help.

I do believe that anything we buy for our little cars comes with the caveat - "For off road use only"

Jack

Lucas......have you considered a home built wood pick-up type box, something in a nice hardwood, polished aluminum hardware, so forth. As for the fuel tank, I have questions along that line myself. Thinking of the wooden bed idea for my own project, and setting into it one of Speedways round aluminum tanks. Anyone out there familiar with that approach. And if so, how would the fuel guage sender mount on one of these round tanks?? I guess the most popular tank mounting is a fuel cell under the seat, but parking my backside on fifteen gallons of high test makes me a bit nervous! Kit.

kitsan said:
...I guess the most popular tank mounting is a fuel cell under the seat, but parking my backside on fifteen gallons of high test makes me a bit nervous! Kit.

Kit... actually very few T's have the tank under the seat, I'd say more than 95% of them have some sort of fuel cell or gas tank in the rear of the car... and this setup allows for lower seating position in the car...

My tank is under the seat because I wanted some storage space in the rear bed....

You wrote.. I'm not sure how safe a beer keg is as a fuel tank??? Any thoughts? The other thing I see is that speed way has some long round tanks that look real nice( I think they are made out of aluminum) but they say there for off road use only... any idea why??? Thanks again for all your help.

They are super fine for gas tanks, as they were made to hold a lot of pressure, whereas you are not holding any here... as far as the bed goes, if you really like the looks of the small bed, then go for it.. you can get rid of all the tubing and whatever else you have back there, and start over.. most beds will attach to the body, one way or another, you could fit it up to the body to where you like it best, mark the edges with a marker, then take it off and use masking tape or? to protect the part of the body that shows.. Grind the body to get to the bare fiberglass, if there is any paint or primer on the bed lips, clean them also, you can mix some apoxy with a very small amount of tiger hair and use that to glue the two parts together, using either drywall screws or sheet metal screws (from the body side) to hold it all together, when cured, if you want, just break off the extending screws in the bed an d be on your way.. You will need a bit of frame back there to mount your new gas tank to and whatever else you may want in the bed, like battery or Rad, overflow tank?? then you do not even need a floor, as the bed does nothing but hold paint and the bed cover, just don't let anyone sit on it... no sence in getting carried away with too much un-needed stuff. as you just want it to work and look great!

PS, I would use a rectangle tank to fit inside the bed, I posted a tank a while back that is a boat tank, fits perfectly, and not too costly. If you are going to buy a round tank, then there is no sence in all the expence of the bed, as they look great exposed.

hey lucas,
I lopped off the tiny TP bed from mine and glassed on a 21" real strong bed I got from Spirit. I got the lid too. They make a great product, so does TP but it was too small for me.Working with fiberglass is not hard, just time consuming. you need to apply multiple layers of mat saturated with resin and hardner. In retrospect, I would have liked to add some angle braces to it and glassed them to the bed and body for some additional strength. I understand RPM makes the 10 gallon tanks for what was TP and that will bolt to your frame and then wrap the new bed around that. Looks like your rollbar will have to go. Best thing I can say is to take good measurements and talk to all the manufacturers to see who has the best bed for you. You can see pix of my bed install in my albums. Now with the new bed I can also fit a folding cloth chair along with some cleaning supplies for the trips to the shows. Good Luck,
jersey jim

I might think about making my own variation on a turtledeck to cover that. you could probably modify it to mount the keg lower and sawzall that silly hillbilly nerfbar off there. make a frame out of either 1" boxtube or some wood (you can make kerf cuts in the roundbar to make a nice curve), cover it with either Luan or even a few yards of fleece/gellcoat, glass the Luan, add a fliptop cap to the keg, a little skimcoat of featherweight bondo, some paint and youre ready to rock.

I like the looks of the bobtailed cars myself, if you handle the other details correctly. Its just metal and fiberglass...get cutting already

If you want a wood bed, here's an idea. The tank is a 10 gal. Moon, and the top does flip up for storage inside.

Jeff

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back