Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

LS1 upgrade or downgrade?

oino

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
A performance shop here in Lincoln told me today I could an LS1 in my T-Bucket for around $1600 to $1800
Thats the Engine, convertion to carb, changing the headers to fit the LS1, and Adapting the TH350.

What would be the pros and cons of doing this?
I was going to spend $1568 on a 350 long block, Then the Black GM Dress-up kit. $175, New old pan $70.00, Water pump $50, Intake Manifold $150 = $2013.

Sounds too good to be true. I'm considering a LS in mine, with supercharger, EFI programmed, broken in on dyno, and ready to drop in at $14.500.00.

This would be non EFI.
He said the engine would be about $800.00 used, with warranty. Low mile.
The Intake Manifold kit from summit is $669.

Ok I found out a bit more today.
The Motor would have about 129,000 miles on it and only a 90 warranty.

So I changed my mind and am going with the 350

Not sure.
I'm not to worried about it now. I'm not going this route. 129,000 miles on a motor to much for me.
Chris, I have to ask why you feel that the present engine needs to be replaced? If it has good compression and the cam isn't flat, why change it out? With ScreaminMetal's and everyone else's advice on the carb and timing it should be running well. Have you driven it yet? I mean really driven it to enjoy and also to work out all the kinks. I know I'd like to see up to date photos and see the progress you have made.

John

An engine that is all rollers, cam, lifters, everything that can have them, would be ok for all the new oil crap... I don't know if it would be cheaper and better?? to add all those goodies to me now engine (68-327 or a 350?? CRS so many different engines over the years), or switch to an LS1...??? :)

Hey one finger: I've driven it around a bit. Just up and down the Alles where it is stored and It getting bad. Misfiring and black smoke or just dies.
But is cool. The company I work for paid me to move here so I have extra money.
:bugle:

Ok back on the LS1. The guy called me back today said he could get one with 79,000 miles and a 1 year warranty for only $50 more. So $850.

as far as the ignition system. I'm guessing it uses the MSD controlor.

Then I have to go back to a Elec. Fuel pump,

So hummm. I'm back at LS1 or 350....

Oh ya. Anyone know what Size Carb should be used if I'm running the LS1?

LOL, ok I should have made this phone call before posting the last post.
Called Joe Haag. He has a Hot rod shop here in Lincoln.

He told be to forget the LS1. Just going to have problems. Just stick with the 350. And he said he knows someone who can rebuild the one I have for about $800 or he can get me a new gm engine for $1300.
And He told me where the VIN goes on my frame and has the stamps to put it on there.

Those kinds of miles on an LS1 are nothing. If it were me I'd do the LS. Much better head design and stock for stock much more power. What this allows is less stress on the engine for the same output. Not to mention better fuel mileage.

Those kinds of miles on an LS1 are nothing. If it were me I'd do the LS. Much better head design and stock for stock much more power. What this allows is less stress on the engine for the same output. Not to mention better fuel mileage.

Cash also plays a factor here. If its cheaper to do a 350 I'm doing a 350. :)

Also the LS1 price started at 1800. then went to 1850, now its up to 2000. Keeping finding things thats its going to need to make it working in the bucket.

Hey oino....whats up dude? Things still messin' with ya? We had chased it down to the carb, remember?Mike, One Finger and I had kinda helped you somewhat sort it out.

Before You go throwing good money away, just borrow someones carb that came off a good running 350 and put it on and see what she does. THEN, ifs its still all screwed....I'd say you got another problem.

I know its frustrating with guys that aren't that mechanically inclined....but just throwing money at a problem won't keep the mechanical gremlins at bay for too long. Until you get comfortable to sort this thing out, your gonna have a frustrating time....as you get comfortable with your abilities. Now after that....you'll be wanting problems to pop up so you can fix them.

I do it all the time and it keeps me on my toes....every-once-in-a-while, theres one that'll almost kick my butt, out there on the track, and when folks look to you as a miracle worker up high, it can very humbling to have a little, simple something kick my ass.

Bigtime races are lost due to a $00.20 spring or a setscrew sometinmes, or a $1 gasket or o-ring. And its all in the details.....Mike and all the others will tell ya.

Just try another carb, but hey, if ya wanta throw a new motor at the Bucket, who am I to say anything.... Just do a big long burnout for me!

I'm gettin' in the mood to build a I-6.....blown, of course....

Hey oino....whats up dude? Things still messin' with ya? We had chased it down to the carb, remember?Mike, One Finger and I had kinda helped you somewhat sort it out.

Before You go throwing good money away, just borrow someones carb that came off a good running 350 and put it on and see what she does. THEN, ifs its still all screwed....I'd say you got another problem.

I know its frustrating with guys that aren't that mechanically inclined....but just throwing money at a problem won't keep the mechanical gremlins at bay for too long. Until you get comfortable to sort this thing out, your gonna have a frustrating time....as you get comfortable with your abilities. Now after that....you'll be wanting problems to pop up so you can fix them.

I do it all the time and it keeps me on my toes....every-once-in-a-while, theres one that'll almost kick my butt, out there on the track, and when folks look to you as a miracle worker up high, it can very humbling to have a little, simple something kick my ass.

Bigtime races are lost due to a $00.20 spring or a setscrew sometinmes, or a $1 gasket or o-ring. And its all in the details.....Mike and all the others will tell ya.

Just try another carb, but hey, if ya wanta throw a new motor at the Bucket, who am I to say anything.... Just do a big long burnout for me!

I'm gettin' in the mood to build a I-6.....blown, of course....

I'm having one I have rebuilt.
The shop rebuilting it did a compression test. 2cyl. had like no compression and the others were ok, but not great.

I found a LS1 engine, then got a manifold, 600 cfm carb and ignition from speedway motors all for about $750. My motor is from a 2008 Silverado that had about 80k miles. Runs super smooth. Total investment is close to $1050Engine HP is close to 320.

I found a LS1 engine, then got a manifold, 600 cfm carb and ignition from speedway motors all for about $750. My motor is from a 2008 Silverado that had about 80k miles. Runs super smooth. Total investment is close to $1050Engine HP is close to 320.

You have a pic?

Yea, I know the manifold and carb are covered and this is on my brothers 37 but mine will be identical.
This has the manifold and ignition with the electronic module installed. The carb is a 600cfm. I will take more uncovered pics mon or tues.
The manifold/ign conversion kit is available from speedway. With the 750 carb and an available cam, the ls will produce 427 HP.

100_3904.jpg

I'm having one I have rebuilt.
The shop rebuilting it did a compression test. 2cyl. had like no compression and the others were ok, but not great.

When you get your carb back let me know. I've dealt with some of the boys in Lincoln before and I'll tell you I'm not impressed with some of their primo fixes. If your blowing black smoke your flooding. If there is no compression on #2 your rings could be gone which would blow blue smoke. Or a valve could be hung up leaking etc. Back firing, missing, and just dieing could be several other things. Like a cracked distributer cap, a bad ignition module, a valve hanging, timing, flooding, plug wires, add nausem. I can come up or we could find a trailer and bring it down to my shop.

When you get your carb back let me know. I've dealt with some of the boys in Lincoln before and I'll tell you I'm not impressed with some of their primo fixes. If your blowing black smoke your flooding. If there is no compression on #2 your rings could be gone which would blow blue smoke. Or a valve could be hung up leaking etc. Back firing, missing, and just dieing could be several other things. Like a cracked distributer cap, a bad ignition module, a valve hanging, timing, flooding, plug wires, add nausem. I can come up or we could find a trailer and bring it down to my shop.

Hey oino...that sounds like the ticket! :hooray:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back