Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Lucky 7" front axle

baddawgcustoms

Friend of friend has a lucky 7 brand 4" drop axle left over from a build I can get on trade for a Harley gas tank. I've never heard of them and just curios if anyone knows anything good or bad about them? Found some on abay for $175 ani have zip-zero-nottA in the gas tank so unless I get bad reviews I'm pretty sure it's going on my T. Looks just like this one in the pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 45
I've used a couple in the past, have one on shelf for a '27 project at a later date. Seem to be good axles to me, a heavy built axle. All the measurements seemed to be fine.

I've used a couple in the past, have one on shelf for a '27 project at a later date. Seem to be good axles to me, a heavy built axle. All the measurements seemed to be fine.
Thanks for the info. I wish I could find a bolt on 4 bar batwing that had the top and bottom 4 bar mount equally spaced from center of the axle. All the ones I've found the top bar looks to be at least 2 " higher than the bottom bar, but to get my bars to be parallel to my frame they need to be equally spaced from center of the axle to do it. Sounds like fab time.

Thanks for the info. I wish I could find a bolt on 4 bar batwing that had the top and bottom 4 bar mount equally spaced from center of the axle. All the ones I've found the top bar looks to be at least 2 " higher than the bottom bar, but to get my bars to be parallel to my frame they need to be equally spaced from center of the axle to do it. Sounds like fab time.
Hey Baddawg is that axle a 46 inch or 48 inch KP center to KP center I just remembered mine is a 46 inch. Might make a little difference. Good luck with the build. I can hardly wait to start the '27 but have a three other projects going now to finish before spring. Or maybe early summer LOL. Wheres my beer!! Been a long day

Hey Baddawg is that axle a 46 inch or 48 inch KP center to KP center I just remembered mine is a 46 inch. Might make a little difference. Good luck with the build. I can hardly wait to start the '27 but have a three other projects going now to finish before spring. Or maybe early summer LOL. Wheres my beer!! Been a long day
It's a 46 with 33 1/2 center to center on the perches. Problem is I am wanting to run the posies quarter ellipticals mounted on the outside of my frame rails which are 24 1/2 wide I've drawn it out on my trusty old school drafting paper and looks like the 4 bars are going to have to be about 40 inches long to clear the spring mount, and that's only about 5 degrees angle on the bars. Talked to the folks at posies and they recommend at least 15 degree angle to keep from running a pan hard bar. Any less can give you lateral movement. Long story short I'm about to can the 1/4 elliptical spring idea and go buggy spring. If I weren't trying to go so low i would mount them under the frame but that just won't work.

Dale, have you given any thought to notching the end of the frame rail? On my set up I used 1 1/2"x 3" and the front 17 1/2" is 1 1/2"x 1 1/2". I also boxed the 4 1/2" by the spring mount. In this way, the spring is mounted so that it does not extend below the frame. Also, my four bars are mounted at a ten degree angle and are 24 1/2" long center to center of the mounting bolt and are 4 1/4" apart center to center. Since I have a cross steer set up I didn't want to take any chances so I'm also running a panhard bar. Maybe the attached pictures will help explain things better.

Jim

Dale, have you given any thought to notching the end of the frame rail? On my set up I used 1 1/2"x 3" and the front 17 1/2" is 1 1/2"x 1 1/2". I also boxed the 4 1/2" by the spring mount. In this way, the spring is mounted so that it does not extend below the frame. Also, my four bars are mounted at a ten degree angle and are 24 1/2" long center to center of the mounting bolt and are 4 1/4" apart center to center. Since I have a cross steer set up I didn't want to take any chances so I'm also running a panhard bar. Maybe the attached pictures will help explain things better.

Jim

Yes I have definitely considered doing that and have also thought of coming to Florida with my tape measure notebook and pencil and just blue printing your front end and copying it! But where is the adventure in that? You do have some top notch engineering in your car. I really wanted to run an I-beam axle from the beginning so I found an axle with 36" between perch bosses which will help get the needed triangulation a lot better. One thing is I just love the look of the springs mounted on the outside of the frame, and the spring mounts that come from posies can adjust your ride height 2-3" with an adjustment screw to help dial in your ride height. That adjuster is on top of the mount so I would lose that feature with them below the frame.

Dale, you are more than welcome to come to my house and measure and draw all you want. (I keep my garage spotless so you won't even get dirty.) Close as I can tell it is about a 365 mile drive that should take about 6 hours. I'm about a 30 mile drive to the Cape and about a 40 mile drive to all the other attractions such as Disney, Sea World, Old Town, (big cruises on Friday and Saturday nights), etc. PM me for phone numbers and e-mail address. I might also add that my wife, Nan, is a pretty good cook.

Jim

Dale, you are more than welcome to come to my house and measure and draw all you want. (I keep my garage spotless so you won't even get dirty.) Close as I can tell it is about a 365 mile drive that should take about 6 hours. I'm about a 30 mile drive to the Cape and about a 40 mile drive to all the other attractions such as Disney, Sea World, Old Town, (big cruises on Friday and Saturday nights), etc. PM me for phone numbers and e-mail address. I might also add that my wife, Nan, is a pretty good cook.

Jim

I may just have to take you up on that, especially the last part! I still am playing with the idea of a double quarter elliptical front end, like Miller ran on his Indy cars. It would be very cool on a steer car, just not sure that it isn't past my engineering abilities. Never seen it on a street car but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work.

Can I come too ?, Its only 230 miles from Ft. myers.:D

Can I come too ?, Its only 230 miles from Ft. myers.:D

You're more than welcome to stop b y, Mike. A a matter of fact, I'm presently in your neck of the woods as I'm at my sister's place in Naples for a little visit.

Jim

I'm in estero about 15 miles from there. pm me if your interested in seeing my project. how long you staying ?

I'm in estero about 15 miles from there. pm me if your interested in seeing my project. how long you staying ?

I'll be leaving Wednesday morning. I plan on going up to Fort Myers tomorrow to check on something for my sister.

Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back