Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

What is "Stock" front axle measurements??

baddawgcustoms

Trying to determine what front axle I will need to figure out my design. I want the bottom of the frame in the front to ride at about 6", and I want the top of the axle, to be even with the top of the frame. (so basically I need an axle that rides 7" off the ground.
I see anywhere from 1" to 6" drop axles, but not knowing what stock measurements are, I have no idea what axle I need. I believe the distance for "stock" where the question mark is in the pic below is 3". If that is so, I know the center of the spindle rides almost dead center the king pin boss on the axle, so My calculations say I need a 2" drop. (don't laugh at my very crudely done diagrams below....I'm no computer guy) If anybody can understand what I just said, maybe you can tell me what axle I need! :unsure:91035117_L2.jpg
91035117_L.jpg

I bought what was called a 4" dropped axle with Chevy spindles and my measurements with the car sitting on 155/80x15" tires with 26.5 pounds of air and having a front end weight of 935 pounds are as follows:

Bottom of axle to ground- 5 1/8"
O.D. of axle tube- 2"
Center of wheel to ground- 11 1/2"

I hope that this helps.

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the help. I can't imagine doing this project without folks like you to help guys out. I have a lot of machine shop, fabrication (mostly racecars and bikes) experience and I would have a hard time without it, so I can only imagine a part time hobbyist doing it himself. I'll be sure to give Ron all my measurements before I order the axle, but right now I'm trying to figure out where I'm mounting my 1/4 ellip springs. (Under, beside, or on top of frame. I'm going to temporarily mount the springs up front and place each one on scales like the DOT uses to weigh big trucks. Then take the forklift and mash down till I have about 450 lbs of pressure on each spring and see how much the springs move. Hopefully that will get me very close figuring assembled ride height and keep me from having to change very much in the end. I was advised the car would probably settle out 1/4- 1/2 " after the car sits a while with a load on the springs... Sounds plausible.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back