Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Master Cylinder Options

jimbo01

I've been busy with the bucket and have been playing with the interior. I've pretty much finished the wooding and have bought a seat so I can start thinking about upcoming projects like peddle locations and so on.
The one question I have is there anyway to put a brake peddle on the firewall and keep the master cylinder under the body? I've seen master cylinders on firewalls and I'd like to keep that looking clean. I've also seen master cylinders under the dash and I'm not real sure how that works out. I guess what I'm looking for if not obvious by now is a little more foot room and I can see where the brake peddle is going to cause some issues. Any ideas, pro's and con's of your set up will help me out on this. Thank you in advance.

I am restoring a tube frame T-bucket and it had a swing pedal and firewall mounted master cylinder. The old master cylinder was leaking and had really messed up the firewall and I also thought that I did not like the look. I chose this master cylinder and brake pedal assembly from Speedway. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Master-Cylinder-Pedal-Assembly-for-Model-T-A-1932-Ford,3285.html It mounts under the floor and is out of site. The bracket bolts to a conventional frame or you can weld it in place. My bucket was a mess in that the pedal was slammed up against the left side of the car on the left side of the steering column and you had to drive with your left foot pinned there. For the new set up, I moved the steering column over 1 1/2 inches to the left and fabricated a stand off bracket to locate the pedal on the right side of the column so that I can go from gas to brake with the same foot. I am not going to have to bend the pedal to make this work although in the directions, it states that it can be cut and bent if necessary. I hope this helps you get down the road.

I've got an under-dash setup similar to the Kugel 180 degree one, but it was made by a local hot rod fab guy for me. Its pretty simple really, but it does take up a bit of room. If you have a '23, I think you'd have to use the 90 degree one. Also note that filling up and checking the fluid can a bit of a hassle, but worth it in my opinion for the clean look. Here is a pic of mine on the bench when I was bleeding the MC (Ford Ranger non-power disc/drum)
Bens2754.jpg

You will definately need to use the 180 degree style. There will be an enormous amount of strain on this bracket, even with a steel body this would need to have a reinforcing structure under the dash. Maybe just go under the floor so the bracket can be welded or bolted to the frame, without the exhaust running under the car, there should be plenty of space. Also the 180 degree assembly is kinda pricy, We (CCR) sell the M/C bracket, pedal assembly and push rod for around $130 and i'm sure others sell a similar assy. even cheaper. If you decide to stay on the Firewall please support the unit correctly ( I think I recently read an installation article but I cant remember where, contact Kugel Komponents and they can tell you what magazine it was in)

Good luck

Jerry

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back