Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Metallic Paints

Rip VW

Anybody have any experience with metallic paint? I have painted a couple of vehicles and a couple of bikes, but they have all been monochromatic. I have been reluctant to experiment with metallic paints. I guess I am wondering, are metallics hard to spray to get an even coat not blotchy? Never had the opportunity to try for myself. So I default to the wiser people and get some recommendations of what it is all about.

My limited experience is that modern paints make it easier to get an even laydown of the paint. My problem has always been getting any repaint after the initial job to match. The repainted piece always looks just a little different. o_O

I recall years ago, they would put some ball bearings inside the cup to help keep the flakes mixed
I used to have a binks pressure pot that had a agitator driven by a air motor. Keeping the mix equally agitated is key as is spray direction, etc. the difference in vertical and horizontal surfaces can be noticeable. The weight of the metallic can cause it to drop or slide on vertical surfaces if your reducer selection and application technique isn’t dialed in. Base clear makes it easier... single stage, especially high solids, like acrylic enamel, are less forgiving.

Fletcherson, that is what I was thinking is that unless you are a good painter in the beginning these are the problems I would be looking at. I just don't have enough confidence to attempt something that difficult. Yeah, I will probably wind up with a base / clear system. I just haven't found a base color that does anything for me. There are a million combinations when you add the metallic. I was really looking at gunmetal gray and then went to the other side of the spectrum with a Champagne color. Boy that champagne color tends to grow on you. Thanks for your insight there Fletcherson that is making me really think this whole paint deal and try to make a color decision.

I have the T project almost ready to blow apart then finish welding on the frame and at least get the frame painted so I can start assembly. All I have left on the chassis is to incorporate an Ebrake. There is some chassis work that still needs addressed. but it can be done when the chassis is bare again. All in all maybe I will make my deadline of Sept 24 to have it done and on the road.

Fletcherson, that is what I was thinking is that unless you are a good painter in the beginning these are the problems I would be looking at. I just don't have enough confidence to attempt something that difficult. Yeah, I will probably wind up with a base / clear system. I just haven't found a base color that does anything for me. There are a million combinations when you add the metallic. I was really looking at gunmetal gray and then went to the other side of the spectrum with a Champagne color. Boy that champagne color tends to grow on you. Thanks for your insight there Fletcherson that is making me really think this whole paint deal and try to make a color decision.

I have the T project almost ready to blow apart then finish welding on the frame and at least get the frame painted so I can start assembly. All I have left on the chassis is to incorporate an Ebrake. There is some chassis work that still needs addressed. but it can be done when the chassis is bare again. All in all maybe I will make my deadline of Sept 24 to have it done and on the road.
I have had good results laying down a solid base color followed by metallic, then clear. That allows depth without multiple layers of metallics. This is helpful with colors like red that require numerous coats to become colorfast, it’s also a little cheaper. I’ve also experimented with various leftover mixes with different colors and sizes metallics, but it’s impossible to match if you don’t retain some for touch up. Painting is art, don’t fear it, just do some research and experiment till you achieve your desired result. I’m not sure of your experience level, but I learned to apply the base coat as a Matt finish, as opposed to trying to lay it out, as I would single stage or acrylic enamel, enamel, etc... if you just use the base to cover and achieve a uniform “base” color, the clear provides texture, or lack thereof, hopefully, and shine. I initially had difficulty switching from single stage to b/c because I tried to apply the base as I did with other types. Fortunately a long time friend was a automotive paint store manager and was sent to various factory training classes to support the gradual change to urethane and b/c products, so he was a helpful critic at the time. B/c is easier and allows for superior results, imho, because it is easier to repair, etc. Unfortunately supplies have become very pricey, so buying five or six chemicals after performing all body work and applying sealer adds up.

I've sprayed a lot of metallic, but only base coat, clear coat with the metallic in the base coat. If I put enough base coat to get complete coverage over the primer, sealer or whatever is beneath, it always comes out uniform. The key word there is "complete". Then it is simply a matter of applying the clear. If you do this, just be sure not to use a strainer that is so tight it captures the metal flake. Most metallic paints have metal that is so small you won't have to worry about this, but some do not. As @fletcherson said this stuff is getting to be expensive so that may enter into your decision, however I believe if you take your time and get full coverage you will be fine. I have always used PPG brand DBC for base and PPG DCU2021 for clear. They work great but don't come cheap.

Some years ago a friend did a lot of painting. He said when he sprayed metallic or metal flake he would put a few marbles in the paint cup and every so often he would give the gun a little shake to keep things well mixed. Those were the days when the gun had the paint cub under the nozzle. These days most guns have the paint cup above the nozzle. I never tried it. Just passing along some info!

I never had much problem shooting metallic paint. Just always shot right to left, never up and down. It make the metallic lay different if changing from horizontal to vertical. Metal Flake it didn't seem to make much difference, just add some marbles and shake before each pass. I have never attempted to paint a complete body with metal flake, only panels and lots of motorcycle parts. And, never with a top loader gun.

These are a lot of good tips about painting metallics. I am thinking if I try it just may be the frame first would be a good practice piece. Easy to keep a consistent pattern going and not something that would be so glaring on the non-viewable areas if I screw it up. The frame color will match the body color as the 27 Coupe body sets highboy style on top of the Duce rails. This stage in the project I am starting to see light ahead and looking forward to getting the frame completed and in paint. I am kind of rapidly running out of good weather so I got to get a move on.

Some years ago a friend did a lot of painting. He said when he sprayed metallic or metal flake he would put a few marbles in the paint cup and every so often he would give the gun a little shake to keep things well mixed. Those were the days when the gun had the paint cub under the nozzle. These days most guns have the paint cup above the nozzle. I never tried it. Just passing along some info!
Good point on gun cup: siphon vs gravity feed. With siphon feed guns the paint is drawn from the bottom similar to gravity, but with gravity you get the high solids, heavy stuff first because it is drawn from the bottom like a funnel. When I paint, and it’s been longer than I care to admit, I am periodically twisting the gun side to side when not spraying to help mix, especially metallics. I also wrap a rag around the cup with tape or rubber band to absorb any paint that might escape through the vent or around the lid. (Prevention) The thing to remember is time. You aren’t going to have the mixed material in the gun that long. If you have to pause for any length of time, be cognizant to re- agitate. Consistent application, ie: direction, distance, speed, will be reflected in the finish. It’s really not all that difficult, just nuances to keep in mind. Buy a little extra and paint a old hood or door panel first to get a feel for it if you are concerned. Spraying a narrow part, such as a frame, may not give you the feel as a larger panel requires more care to achieve a uniform application. But don’t over think it, just be mindful.

Another point while I’m reminiscing... I like to pre mix the material, then add to the gun as opposed to mixing a gun cup at a time. Obviously predicting the required amount of material figures in. This obviously only applies to complete spray jobs, not panels, but it keeps a consistent mix. Most paint isn’t critical, but some will look very different even from the same cans. Never change spray guns with metallic. I learned this lesson by using a small pint cup sized gun to cut in, jambs, etc, then went to my quart cup gun. The difference was very noticeable. Not critical as it was only jambs, etc, but it stuck out to me... lesson learned. I never noticed it with solid colors. The spacing of the metallic was different and looked like different colors, if that makes sense.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back