Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Motorcycle Tank?

T-Odd

Ron, I'm working on the old 650 motorcycle that was wrecked over a year ago.

The tank is dented and banged up and I'll be swapping it with another tank, but I'm pulling the yamaha tank and putting one of my Sportster peanut tanks on there. Get a few problems with mounting and I'm thinking I need to cut the bottom off of both tanks and weld them together to make the Sportster tank fit the Yamaha frame better.

You think this is possible? I can't weld this thin stuff at all with the mig or the stick, I'd think it would be best to tig it but I can't tig and don't trust any of my friends with these two tanks LOL.

Can you do something like this. I know it's not T Buckets, but it certainly is Hot Roddin' !

6195655436_7fc9bf5abc_z.jpg

6195655426_cf340cc836_z.jpg

I like the way that tank looks on there. If it was mine I would MIG weld it, I don't TIG very well either. TIG will work great as long as you get a good weldor to do the work. just be sure you get the fit nice and tight.

I prefer MIG for sheet metal, it's much more forgiving. I use .030 wire on the lowest setting (#1) and the wire speed at about 8 or 9 on my Hobart 175 Handler.

For me Tig wellding introduces too much heat into the base metal for a job like this.

Ron

I have a Hobart 175, and some .030 wire. I burn through thin stuff like I'm flame cutting a bracket or something.

It ain't pretty.

Already ruined one gas tank trying to fix a pinhole leak, blasted a hole in there that looks like it was shot with a shotgun.

Try turning the heat setting down, and the wire speed up a [LITTLE] Or you could drill holes for the tank through the tabs and mount it on top of the frame backbone.
Also, are you using gas or flux cored wire? Gas is always better, less spatter.

Got a tank or Argon or maybe it's Argon mix, but I know the flux core wire just plain sucked for the most part.

I never claimed to be a good welder. As someone once said, "it looks like you're stacking chicken---t with chopticks."

Set your heat on #1 and your wire speed at about 8. Use a gas like Stargon, a mix. The .030 will work but a small spool of .024 solid wire would be better. Add that flux cored wire to your scrap pile. Keep your tacks or welds small and short. Try to hold a 1/2" stickout With your wire. If you can weld heavyer material, you can do this to. Just practice till you get the desired weld.

Ron

Ron, I'm working on the old 650 motorcycle that was wrecked over a year ago.

The tank is dented and banged up and I'll be swapping it with another tank, but I'm pulling the yamaha tank and putting one of my Sportster peanut tanks on there. Get a few problems with mounting and I'm thinking I need to cut the bottom off of both tanks and weld them together to make the Sportster tank fit the Yamaha frame better.

You think this is possible? I can't weld this thin stuff at all with the mig or the stick, I'd think it would be best to tig it but I can't tig and don't trust any of my friends with these two tanks LOL.

Can you do something like this. I know it's not T Buckets, but it certainly is Hot Roddin' !
Yes send it to me and I'll fix it for you.
RPM
2844 Hodges Ferry Rd
Kodak, TN 37764

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back