Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My Chevy spindles

choppinczech

A while back when I switched from Speedway's 9" front brakes to their 11", I didn't care for the caliper brackets they sell. They only mount to the two rear lugs on the Chevy spindles.
speedway.jpg
So I made some new brackets out of 3/8" plate to bolt onto at least three of the lugs.

1.JPG

Then, that open space inside the rotor was bugging me. You could see everything in there.

2.JPG

So I recently made these. Came out pretty good. I made a template first. I wasn't even sure if the four mounting lugs were exactly in the center of the spindle. Turns out they are.
3.JPG

I'm still not too sure if I like the holes. I don't want a ballistic look for this car.

More stopping power.

You work with steel too?! Your talents are endless. LOL

Thanks. I have a drill press, my handy bench top belt sander, carbide burrs and sanding drums. What might surprise you the most is that I use my table mounted routers a lot. Sometimes with carbide burrs, sometimes with regular wood bits. Just small bites at a time.

Here's a better pic. The spacers are part of the cover plate. Welded to the back side. I like how the whole thing hides the steering arm and caliper bracket nuts.

rotor cover.JPG

This wasn't my idea. I found this on the net and knew it would work for me. Looks pretty good chromed.

Chromed steering arms and caliper brackets.jpg

A while back when I switched from Speedway's 9" front brakes to their 11", I didn't care for the caliper brackets they sell. They only mount to the two rear lugs on the Chevy spindles.
View attachment 11892
So I made some new brackets out of 3/8" plate to bolt onto at least three of the lugs.

View attachment 11893

Then, that open space inside the rotor was bugging me. You could see everything in there.

View attachment 11894

That is really cool. I like that.
So I recently made these. Came out pretty good. I made a template first. I wasn't even sure if the four mounting lugs were exactly in the center of the spindle. Turns out they are.
View attachment 11895

I'm still not too sure if I like the holes. I don't want a ballistic look for this car.

Those are nice, really nice.

Thanks guys. I know there's dust covers out there for Ford spindles, but I never could find a thing for Chevy.

Are those Ford steering arms? I want something other than flat arms and want cross steering. I thought I would have to modify ford arms to fit Chevy spindles if I use my Hallcraft wire wheels.

Are those Ford steering arms? I want something other than flat arms and want cross steering. I thought I would have to modify ford arms to fit Chevy spindles if I use my Hallcraft wire wheels.

Yes. They're Chassis Engineering 37-48 Ford steering arms. Forged steel.

I made this jig to heat them up. Was easy with a rose bud.

3-22-14.JPG

They need to be heated and squeezed together about 1/4". Can't remember exactly, but you're looking for 3 1/8" to fit Chevy spindles. I had this stop ready to give me the right spacing.

3-22-14 2.JPG

Then leveled them to each other.

3-22-14 5.JPG

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back