Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Speedway Chevy Spindles

Hey all, I'm asking around because I asked Speedway Motors and I'm still unsure. I'm looking at using their '49 to '54 Chevy spindles and their advertising says the geometry has been changed to complement radial tires. Yet I'm not sure how... change in camber? Also, not sure if this would cause premature or uneven wear on the bias-plies I plan on using.
Speedway 1949-1954 Chevy Car Modified Spindles w/ King Pins

spindle 1.jpg

I’m not sure what they did with those, but generally speaking a radial wants a bit more positive caster and a bit less negative camber than bias ply and since camber angle is built in with king pins I’m guessing that’s what they changed. Caster is also built in to a degree, but it’s easily adjusted so they may or may not have changed it in the hub.

I know, not a real answer, but possibly a point in the right direction. As to issues running them with bias tires, I doubt it, but I’ve long since quit running bias tires so I’m not a good person to answer that question. My experience comes from changing 50’s and 60’s cars to radials and adjusting alignment accordingly.

I am using those on mine, but I do have radial tires. What did Speedway tell you?

i asked to clarify the blurb in the product description and they seemed to not be able to give specifics. i asked too if i would run into any problems and they said i shouldn't. they may be right but i don't want to have wear and drivability issues after the fact. just out of plain stubbornness to solve a mystery i might keep on them until i get details; figuring i could help others as well.

what are you using for brakes?

I’m not sure what they did with those, but generally speaking a radial wants a bit more positive caster and a bit less negative camber than bias ply and since camber angle is built in with king pins I’m guessing that’s what they changed. Caster is also built in to a degree, but it’s easily adjusted so they may or may not have changed it in the hub.

I know, not a real answer, but possibly a point in the right direction. As to issues running them with bias tires, I doubt it, but I’ve long since quit running bias tires so I’m not a good person to answer that question. My experience comes from changing 50’s and 60’s cars to radials and adjusting alignment accordingly.

actually you're helping with pieces of the puzzle. if you're onto something with your points then it seems i don't have to necessarily worry about tire wear or safety issues. if i'm right more positive caster, if anything, will give greater higher speed stability. the camber issue has me wondering a bit still.

i figure with a car that weighs around (or less) what a mustang 2 or pinto does these brakes are plenty good. since i'm going with a 60s look this set up is less of an authenticity sin than the fancy fad-t type brakes.

i'm begining to feel a bit more at ease about things using bias-ply tires and this modified spindle with the feedback i'm getting. i know some cars suffer "the shake" and want to make sure everything is engineered right.

thanks for the inspiring photo!

actually you're helping with pieces of the puzzle. if you're onto something with your points then it seems i don't have to necessarily worry about tire wear or safety issues. if i'm right more positive caster, if anything, will give greater higher speed stability. the camber issue has me wondering a bit still.
It actually helps prevent wandering!

(sorry, can’t resist a dad joke type pun)

i'm going with bias plies in keeping with the look which is why i'm using leaf springs and all the other details; the brakes are a bit of a practical deviation that hopefully won't be too much of a aesthetic sin. my favorite era of t-bucket is around the mid sixties.

Attachments

• 1968.jpg
    1968.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 34
  • 1965.jpg
    1965.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 34
  • bobtail with radius rods.jpg
    bobtail with radius rods.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 34

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back