Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My frame rail cutting jig

mikesplumbing

I wasn't sure where to post it but this seems like the right spot.

I figured I would take a break today and made a jig used for layout of the angles on the kick-up portion of the frame. Nothing complicated, I just build a square box with some T nuts used for keeping everything square a true. Once assembled I cut it in a miter box at 30 deg. on one end and 90 deg. on the other. It slides on the rail with about .010 extra but basically pretty snug. I used brass screws so as not to mar the surface etc.

When I lay out I just slide it on and mark it with a pencil to get close. Then I slide it away a couple inches and put Dye-Chem blue on the pencil mark. Then it's a matter of sliding it back over the blue ink, clamping it down with the screws and marking it out with a razor blade. It turned out really nice and makes a very accurate mark.

When I cut the steel I just take a 1/2" thick steel plate and clamp it on one side at a time and with my cut-off wheel in a grinder I plunge cut using the steel as a backer. In the photos thats the first sample cut.

Just thought It may help someone who may not have a full gamut of tools. When I'm done I would be more than happy to mail it to anybody that want's it.

Mike

Thanks for the idea. I bought a steel cutting circular saw at Northern Tools Friday to cut the frame rails for my drag car. I think I will make a few of these with different angles to have around when I get started building.

Sure made a nice repeatable angle cut on that rail, didn't it? Jigs take time to build but can really make the final product more precise and neat. We have all these one time jigs laying around the shop that we may never ever use again, but they helped a lot the one time we used them.

Good tech, thanks. :)

Don

I just was looking at the jig you had made and i think its a great idea.The only thing i can think of that i would do different since i have a metal cuttig bandsaw that does a great job.I get to set the angle and walk away and wait till it shuts off.I love it!!
So these patterns would be helpfull for setting up the angle of the saw.
Thanks,Vince

I know what you mean about the horizontal bandsaw..........ours is probably the most used and loved tool in our shop.

Don

We have 3 radial arm saws. I use one of the 14 in blade ones with a metal cutting blade and a pipe fitters spinner type jack stands to hold the end of long pieces. I just have to cut slow but get good acurate cuts. ffor smaller pieces I like my milwaukee portable band saw.

The rooster likes his plasma it is a gift from the gods FO-SHO

I would like to give everyone my list of tools that I built my car with-
metal cut off saw
jig saw
4 1/2" grinder
drill press
file
stick welder
hand drill
Ron (RPM)

19.jpeg

I used a cheap buffalo brand chopsaw for years set on 22 1/2 degrees , until I bought a nice little bandsaw.. What's critical is your fabrication layout/setup and welding process.. The layout and process are more critical in keeping the 2 main rails perpendicular and parallel with eachother so they are a matching pair when welded up..

Awh yes ... the irreplacable band saw!!!! I have a (at the time I bought it 14 years ago) $129 saw from Northern Hydraulics that has served me very well. For cutting angles, I have a "shelf" that attaches to the fron side of the base. It has a piece of angle iron that bolts to it at 30, 45, and 60 degrees. With this I simply use my Bessey clamps to hold the stock. Works like a charm.

I have found that a fresh blade is a huge plus especially when making angle cuts. I also guide the carrage by hand till there is an enought of the cut so the blade dosen't wander. Another tip is to watch e-bay for blade stock. the last one I wone cost me $21 with shipping. I found a small local shop that has a DuAll saw with a blade welder on it. I cut the stock to 64 1/2" and they weld them for a buck apiece. I figure the last batch cost me about $4 a blade.

Nice to see someone else spends hours to make a fixture they only use once in a while. They do look impressive hanging on the wall tho!!!

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back