Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My own progress thread - finally!!

Mike

I have to be honest and say I sometimes wondered if this day would ever arrive. I saw my first Total ad when I was a senior in high school. When I saw the ad, I promised myself I would own one of the cars, at some point in time. And a lot has happened in all those years. Two marriages, two divorces, raising my son on my own and building/tuning a handful of race cars with something like a zillion races amongst them.

And I'm just peddling high performance parts for a living, so there has never been much of a budget to play with. The only thing that saved me was the lay-away plan at Total Performance. It absolutely forced me to spend the money on my dream, until it was finally paid off.

But we're already starting to mock parts up for the first fitting, so on to the piccies!

I had bolted the master cylinder and steering box in when my son (a.k.a. His Royal Highness, or HRH for short) arrived. Gee, after almost 23.5 years, it was father/son time. Actually, I think he's as excited about this project as I. ;)

So we went ahead and started hanging the front end on the car. After spending a considerable bit of time chasing chrome out of a lot of threads. :lol:

After we got the front end hung, we couldn't stand it any longer. I pulled the truck out of the garage, we un-crated the body and set it up on the rails for a look-see.

myt001.jpg

Yes, I know, a lot of the bling is still wrapped up, but since this is just a trial fit it can remain wrapped up. And hopefully, a lot safer than being unwrapped.

myt002.jpg

myt003.jpg

myt004.jpg

myt006.jpg

myt007.jpg

myt008.jpg

myt010.jpg

myt011.jpg

myt012.jpg

myt013.jpg

myt014.jpg

myt015.jpg

myt016.jpg

myt017.jpg

myt019.jpg

I am tickled to f-i-n-a-l-l-y be able to start working on this car. I am not joking when I say I've wanted one of these cars for over three decades. I have a long row to hoe, because the budget is as tight as ever and with our economy the way it is, I'm not too sure how long my job will hold out. But the T isn't eating any groceries and it is sitting in MY garage, so I can be patient.

Nice I can picture you and the car now this summer.I had the hard deck lid but it was to hard to get the lines right and the hinges were europen style pretty much junk for the application.I see they upgraded them now THOSE are hinges.Good looking car.Keep the pics comeing.

Did I hear someone going " Varoom, Varoom " - :lol::lol: You did, didn't you :cool:

Very cool. I'm kinda in the same boat i teach the class with the kit but then they get sold to fund the program.the last car i did get to drive 12 miles before it was sold.someday my own someday.
your closer to your someday enjoy

you heard that too huh Duke!!!!! i coulda swore it came from southeast of here.

Ron

Yep i thought it came from south west of the Detroit area.Sounded like it had a cam to.

That is a very good bucket for being your first. Most of Us probably started with something down a few levels.Have fun whatever the economy does don't ever sell you will regret it forever.

Congratulations on the start of your car, the best part is that it's something that can be a forever growing bond between you and your son. Mine was begun in 68, I waited for my son to show an interest in it and we had more good times then you can imagine. Today I have 4 young grandsons, I live for the day when one of them shows an interest in getting their hands dirty and their knuckles bruised.

Mike

Looks like a very nice start!

Do you have anymore plan details? Color? Engine? I'm sure everybody wants to know!

It's always nice to see someone get something they've dreamed about. Have fun!

Mike

That Hard deck really looks good. You are going to have a cool car when your done. Keep up the good work.

Mike, I don't know what to say....... except.....YES! 'Cause, dude, I remember when I first joined this site (only 5 members:eek:) and saw your threads about your visit to Total and how it would take a while to get things going. I am so glad to see you put your feet in the pond. Kinda reminded me of myself.

Looks like you have a great start to a sweet car and some cool help to boot. I know things are going to be sweet!

CONGRATS!:lol:

Awwwww. memories....
http://www.tbucketeers.com/forum/f28/day-total-performance-37/

Guys, check out the pics of Mike and Brian. You can tell Mike isold and Brian has his hands in his pockets. Done deal! LOL

Fred, Brian knew I was hooked the instant I saw that car. :eek:

As for details, I'm still undecided. At one point, Brian thought I was going to use a SB Mopar, but I finally ended up making the decision to go with a Chevy. As for what it will be, the jury is still out. A 350/400 makes good sense on the financial side of things. A BB would be a bit more outrageous (read: fun). After racing a 90 V-6 for so long, I'm tempted to go that way. It will likely be the most expensive option, as I would just about have to use a splayed-valve cylinder head for the 'gotcha' value. And the used splayed-valve heads all have runners that are way too big for street use, so it would mean starting with a completely raw casting. And then the work to finish the head would be prohibitive. Things like a sheet metal intake manifold and custom headers would end up being costly, as well.

Let's just say the engine crossmember will be one of the last items added to the car, and it may get moved aft just a bit. ;)

As for color, I change my mind every day. Suede gray, perhaps? :D

LumenAl said:
I'd look real hard at 700R4 trany with the overdrive... huge difference in mileage... the only thing I regret not doing when I redid all mine...
I'll second that. I really wish I'd gone with an overdrive tranny instead of the TH350. Even with 3.31 gearing I'm at 3000 rpm at highway speeds (not sure exactly what mph, don't have the speedo in yet :lol:, but keeping up with traffic on the Interstate, probably 70-ish). I'm thinking about switching trannies this winter, but I'll have to move my welded-in crossmember, and I don't weld. Guess I'll get GAB to do it.

Lee_in_KC said:
I'll second that. I really wish I'd gone with an overdrive tranny instead of the TH350. Even with 3.31 gearing I'm at 3000 rpm at highway speeds (not sure exactly what mph, don't have the speedo in yet :lol:, but keeping up with traffic on the Interstate, probably 70-ish). I'm thinking about switching trannies this winter, but I'll have to move my welded-in crossmember, and I don't weld. Guess I'll get GAB to do it.

Well then look at the 200r4 instead I am pretty sure it has same dimensions as the 350, all depends on the power of your engine. The 200's can handle up to around 300HP if built right.

**EDIT** I forgot you need the th400 cross member to do this swap....I was looking to do this with my old 68 Camaro the 200r4 was where I was looking, I totally forgot you need to change crossmembers, so I guess it really wont help.

I know that Lee has a little more than 300 HP. I have the 700r4 in my tub, with a 26" tire and a 3:73. It has the electric lock up working on the converter. Cruise 70 mph at about 2000rpm and got 21 mpg at the BASH.

I really like the set up. Low 1st gear a 2500 converter that will lock and a OD. Does about everything you could want.

congrads Mike,good looking start.i realy like the bed cover and seat insert.looks great.i also have the 700r4 in mine it will not fit the 350 cross member i had to make a whole new crossmember for mine.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back