Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My parts list so far

Come up with a design you like, trace it our on paper, thin cardboard
IMG_3900-1.jpg

Trace it to your steel, I'm using 1 x 2 1/2 rec. tubing.
IMG_3901-1.jpg

Whittle it out, using what ever you have bandsaw,cut off wheel, plasma cutter.. I used a 4" electric grinder and dressed it out with my belt sander.
IMG_3902-1.jpg

Create a template for the foot of the bracket,set your angle, mine is set at 80 degree's., I also drew a bunch of circles on them triying to come up with a speed hole design I liked..Once i found a design i broke out the dial caliper's and measured, marked and started drilling....
IMG_3904-1.jpg

finish welding, grind and sand, ready for prime and paint
IMG_3905-1.jpg

side angle
IMG_3906-1.jpg

mounted on cowl, time to make a center bracket...Another day for that....
IMG_3907-1-1.jpg

When you set your cardboard template on the tube, Put a magnet on it to help hold it in place.

Ron

Yeah...that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Ron

Thank's for the kind word's, with summer almost gone (Around here anyway), and Little League over with and School starting back up I might have a little bit more time to get out in the garage. I went out there the other day to build a little artsy fartsy table for my back deck and ended up covered in cob web's, there oughta be a law against that.. But having 2 kids, owning my own business, a stupid cat, a crazy ass dog, and a Wife that work's 50 plus hours a week, when ever we get a free minute we we never get a free minute..lol So its been hard to get out and work on it.. Oh and does anybody know of the cheapest and most safe front-brakes for early Ford spindles, I want to run disc's (for safety/and practical reasons). I know there are a bunch of ways to go but I don't have $700 plus dollars for wilwood's. Heck I barely have $200 plus for a Speedway Kit (which I hear is not safe for a T, Or am I wrong.)

I've been pondering this since your last post about your rear xmember. Is the spring bottoming out at the ends of your xmember? If it is, You have just shortened it buy 10" or so. That's gonna make for a real stiff ride. You could open the ends and add a gusset to the inside corner like Henry did. If you box the gussets, you will have plenty of strength.

Look at the artical in the Tech section on using a Model A spring. I outlined the mods for them there.

Not trying to be a wiseguy here. Just want to help.

Ron

Ron in the pic, it does look like it. But I guess its the angle of the pic.If you look at the relief I cut in the end of the crossmember that is for clearance. I then boxed the ends in for strength. I did mount the spring as far as I could towards the ends of the rear without causing any clearance problems with anything else on there, I'm sure it will ride rougher than any of my other cars thats a given. I am shooting for a real low slung approach on this one. This is my first complete car build from ground up, so I'm sure I will have hurdles and pit-falls but from my experience with building bikes in the past, but with expert advice from guys like you it makes it easier. Thank's again for the pointers and please if you do see any areas that need addressing let me know...:)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back