Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My Project Rebuild

i like to use a 6 bolt mounting for the body especially if there is a door. you can shim for alignment that way. nothing wrong with 1/2" al...g/f told me once, every lil bit helps!! i also use webbing on the frame rails, but not on the mounting bolts.

Ron

Ted Brown said:
... why angle? when only tabs are needed...

Well Ted... I used angle iron simply to have more surface weld area... each side and along the top and bottom, then grind top and bottom smooth... filled the sides to smooth...

For the record I always say... what I did was (fill in the blank)... I've never told anyone "do it this way" when I share my thoughts on any topic. I'm totally OK having you tell people my thoughts or solutions are overkill... I'll take that all day vs. having someone say my concept or suggestion is dangerous or unsafe...

One of the biggest jobs you have to do is cut the floors out, so that you can channel the body over the frame, or you could Z the frame, but you would still have to cut the floor to clear the trans, etc. I think i would also mount the steering on top of the frame, rather than leave it under to get hit by speed bumps.. etc. anad move the tie rod behind the axel.. You knew I had to get that in.. hehe anyway, enjoy your new project, as it will be worth it when finished, just keep one foot on the brake while gassing with the other.. :rolleyes:

Sorry Ted, I have thought about puttin it behind the axle but Im goin wait til I get hit by a cop car... Hope that never happens tho... no offense Fred

So I got the frame painted today, it was a beautiful 77 degrees this afternoon. I ended up helping a friend work on his truck so I didnt get it clear coated...:sad:... On a better note, it will be cleared in a day or two so no worries on my part there. I will post a pic or two tomorow when I get to work and turn my laptop on. I took pics with my blackberry and the red colors came out orange in the pics(at least on the phone) so hopefully when I upload them they will look a little better.

Was about to touch up the red parts and knocked the paint gun on the floor and broke the connector right above the pressure gauge.:lol::lol:... It is lookin super sweet tho!!!!

Here are two pics without the clear coat... I will post the rest after the clear cures and I get the motor repainted and dropped in the frame. I will make sure that I take one in the sunlight so the red doesnt come up orangey.(is orangey even a word?)

Wow! That is some good clear coat on the radius rods.:lol:

Good looking progress Dovehunter.

LumenAl said:
Well Ted... I used angle iron simply to have more surface weld area... each side and along the top and bottom, then grind top and bottom smooth... filled the sides to smooth...

For the record I always say... what I did was (fill in the blank)... I've never told anyone "do it this way" when I share my thoughts on any topic. I'm totally OK having you tell people my thoughts or solutions are overkill... I'll take that all day vs. having someone say my concept or suggestion is dangerous or unsafe...
Well I don't think I said it was any safer, just as strong, without all that extra work, unless your welds are not so good...

I did overdo alot of the metal on the rebuild... I would rather be safe then sorry!!!!

On a different note... Today = 4 coats of clear on the frame!!!:dance::yay::dance::yay::dance::yay:

Fully assembled frame pics to follow in a couple days, I have some things to tend to while my clear coat cures a little!

Ted Brown said:
Well I don't think I said it was any safer, just as strong, without all that extra work, unless your welds are not so good...

You busted me... my welds suck... which is why my tig-welding buddy comes over and does mine... his welds are sweet... lay down like artwork! :dance:

dovehunter79 said:
... Today = 4 coats of clear on the frame!!!:dance::yay::dance::yay::dance::yay:

Fully assembled frame pics to follow in a couple days, I have some things to tend to while my clear coat cures a little!

All this waiting is driving me crazy! Sunday is deadline! :yay:

:hooray:Here are some updated pics... was up pretty late last night putting the frame together and getting the motor and tranny on... I will roll it outside when the sun is up and get some better pictures before too long...

Sorry Al, I missed my sunday deadline but 3 days after isnt that bad

Since my past couple weeks have been barlls to the wall... I havent realy even touched my T. I did however the other day manage to paint the rear drums, clean up the tires and replace the valve stems. All hasnt been lost but every little bit counts!!!:D

Lookin good. That rascal will be runnin from the law before ya know it.

every 10, 20, or 30 minutes you spend doing "the little things puts you that much closer to wearing that start up grin....

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back