Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

My Project Rebuild

I went ahead and purchased a Spirit body yesterday with insert and upholstery... should have that next week sometime. :funmeter2:

Also I spoke with RPM a couple weeks ago and he is going to be building my grill shell... with my own time constraints and lack of calling around for aluminum prices(laziness maybe?!:silenced:), I decided that would the easiest thing for me to do and would support his business a little.

Long time its been since I have worked on the "T"... I got my Spirit body in and come to find, it was too narrow to sit on the frame... So, heres what I did... Since the lower edge of the body that wraps the frame rail is about 2"s, I cut about 3/4's of it off and then cut it up to where the body would sit on the frame. Reglassed it and wala, a fitted body. I did four sheets of fiberglass in four different places so that should sturdy it back up. Some places it overlaped so there could be about 6 layers in places. Here are 4 of the pics, hope yall can see what I did...
T bucket pictures by dovehunter79 - Photobucket

I also got my grill shell the RPM manufactured from some scribble I sent... (Thanks Ron!!! :D)

Also I have the Lakesters headers that I got from Rooster. I only have a couple bolts holding them on right now and I dont even have the turnouts bolted on yet. (Sorry about the late pic post Tim, Thanks!!! :dance:)

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p167/dovehunter79/T bucket/IMG_0539.jpg

I am still in mock-up mode on the body, since it was way small for the frame, i scratched the paint but with touch it up when the time comes.

I forgot to take a finished picture of the fiberglass on the inside... I will take one tomorow and post it soon.

((((Pay no attention to the runs from the resin, I was building up the resin on that rail so it will look smooth after I sand it. I was only worried about the facing.))))

looks good hunter!!!

just a note here ... you want to clean the paint off the balls in you heim ends before you go on the road with your T. once the paint is off wipe the balls with some wd-40. the paint will accelerate the wear on the teflon races.

Ron

Man you are comin along on your project lookin real good. I do like the lakes on your car ,they will hear your comin for sure. keep posting

Coming right along do you have a date you want it done for? Good idea having door open with fiberglass fumes.

Youngster said:
just a note here ... you want to clean the paint off the balls in you heim ends before you go on the road with your T. once the paint is off wipe the balls with some wd-40. the paint will accelerate the wear on the teflon races.Ron

What the easiest way to do that? Thanks for tip, did not know that!

putz said:
Coming right along do you have a date you want it done for? Good idea having door open with fiberglass fumes.

The perfect date would have been yesterday... other then that, I am honestly not sure other ASAP. I did majority of all the fiberglassing at the door, once I felt the body was sturdy enough, I moved it outside.

i would use a scotch pad. nothing more abrasive than that. you just want to remove the paint, no metal. depending on how they were painted you might be able to use some thinner.

Ron

Friendly update!

So I talked to my dad a few days ago and I asked him if he wanted to help me on my bucket, I told him about what I had done already to the body and what I needed to do. He was excited I asked him, so I after I glass in the firewall and it dries, he will come out and we can have some good quality time together! I am excited myself because he has taught everything I know to be able to tackle on the bucket without his help, it will be like old times working on something with him!!! I will post the pictures when we get to that point, I think I am going to take a day off next week if he has the time.

so I took a day off last week, my dad came over and we pretty much finished up the dirty work on the spirit body... I have one more layer of glass to do before I can start sanding to smooth sleek finish :D... I have updated some pictures (((hafta follow the:rulz:))) ... I followed Ted's advise on the body with pics to avoid any confusion as to what was done. The only thing he didnt say was, "be careful when you go to lunch, the wind might start blowing hard and the body will fall off the stand":eek: lol, luckily there was only surface sratches. Some of the glass on the inside of the firewall turn out not as good as id like but i made some pretty hot glass and it started drying pretty quick on me... good thing no one will see it!!!!!!!:)!!!!!

T bucket pictures by dovehunter79 - Photobucket

Looks like you wore your helper out Jeff!!

Ron

I guess its time to post some updates here on my build.... I am just about ready to get my bucket inspected so I can get my title, I will be taking off thursday and friday this week and I plan on getting the inspection friday and then going straight to the tag office. I plan to be driving this weekend!!!!!

It wont be completed but will be completed enough for inspection/tags and thats good enough for me for now. I will have to go back and touchup the paint on the frame and the body. I wont be putting the windshield on for the inspection because I havent ordered a dummy wiper.

The only thing that is left so I can inspect the vehicle will be electrical, fuel and the gear shifter. If I have to work day and night to finish it I will because D-day is only 3 days away!!!!

When you say lay the fiberglass are you buying the little kits at the autoparts store? I'm thinking there has to be a better way just don't know what it is. By the way, Thank You for all the posts and pictures as this will be tremendouse help for me to modify my body. Look'in Good Dove Hunter!

bucketkids said:
When you say lay the fiberglass are you buying the little kits at the autoparts store? I'm thinking there has to be a better way just don't know what it is. By the way, Thank You for all the posts and pictures as this will be tremendouse help for me to modify my body. Look'in Good Dove Hunter!

No, I bought the resin by the gallon, the hardener comes in small tubes(travel toothpaste size) and I had fiberglass sheets that were 6'X6'. You can get bigger sheets of fiberglass at home depot in the paint department.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back